• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review New Hottest Sauce Made in UK? Hell.... Unleashed

So today was a tasting day for me, with a range of interestingly flavoured extracts and even a hot rum syrup. But that wasn't all. No, I also had this:

CCsUTBX.png

Hell.... Unleashed, as it calls itself, is the product of two major UK chilli retailors, www.hot-headz.com and The Chilli Pepper Company (www.chileseeds.co.uk) getting together and deciding that none of the previous "world's hottest sauce"s were hot enough. And, so that there could be no debate on the matter, they made it with the express intention of surpassing every record thusfar, something that scoville ratings confirm it does. The makers' quoted values are 5,322,531 dry or 2,584,498 wet for the sauce and 1,569,300 dry or 235,395 wet for the carolina reaper. Obviously these are average values for the reaper but even its world record dry scoville rating of little over 2.2 million doesn't meet the sauce's wet value and no other sauce I've seen comes close either. These are some big claims they're chucking around. Does it meet them?

Well, before we get into that, let's check the presentation.
The lable is white with a flaming skull I find oddly reminiscent of that in The Fifth Element, one of the best comedy sci-fi films in my opinion but not the most original imagery and, even in their official product shot, you can tell it's poorly printed, with tiny rainbow artifacts appearing in the darker parts. The company logos are lazily cut out and superimposed onto this, with a black square around chileseeds' as though the labler wasn't even trying. And then the name is above and below in generic itallic font. Nothing special at all, just black on white.
The sauce looks good though, right? Such a lovely vivid orange. Looks wonderfully fruity and flavourful.
Well, there's a reason both sites use the same picture. It's probably the only good one they could get. The colour of my bottle's contents was more of a murky brown but not just that. It was full off so many flecks and splodges of extract that you wouldn't believe. They must have used an industrial strength paint blender or something because I could not for the life of me get it to mix properly. Infact, you can tell it's just been shaken from the position of that bubble.

But lets overlook all that, it's the flavour and the heat that matters, right?
I'd just had a drop of 1 million extract before this so I was feeling somewhat prepared, if a little worried by the pre-release reviews I'd witnessed. I wasn't going to be a fool like those guys and spoon this down though. I was going to do a cocktail stick tip and savour the flavour. After all, it was a mango scorpion sauce, what could possibly go wrong?
Well, it didn't taste of mango. Nor did it taste of scorpion. It tasted of brown, mushy cooked fruit of no specific type. That and extract. Mostly extract. That was, after all, the main ingredient.
After about 3 seconds, amazingly quick for an extract sauce, the heat kicked in and boy was it strong. Stronger than the million extract. Strong enough to make me cough and splutter. And that was just the start.
Moments later, I began to sniffle, then my nose truly ran, then the hiccups set in and it didn't end there. Before long, I was reaching for the milk, something I'd never had to do with less than 6 million extract. This little beastie delivered on its promise and then some. Truly wow!

So does that mean Hell.... Unleashed really is the world's hottest sauce?
No.
If you want that title from me, you're gonna have to make something I can pour. As is, all I can call this is 30ml of the world's hottest paste. So hot you'll never get through it, despite the tiny volume.

All in all, I'd reccomend this over trying pure 3-4 million extract but wouldn't advise it if you want a good tasting food additive.

That sounds like a horrible product. Why don't these idiots (folks competing for the hottest sauce) just add some pure capsaicin crystals to something that already tastes good? This product just sounds like a train wreck that was the result of a pissing contest. Flavor seems to have been even less than an afterthought.
     Maybe it'll keep pests out of the garden...

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     That sounds like a horrible product. Why don't these idiots (folks competing for the hottest sauce) just add some pure capsaicin crystals to something that already tastes good? This product just sounds like a train wreck that was the result of a pissing contest. Flavor seems to have been even less than an afterthought.
     Maybe it'll keep pests out of the garden...
It's not that simple.....but adding extract is not the way to get the title of "hottest BEST TASTING sauce". 

SpiceFreak, good effort for the taste testing and reporting.  Send me a PM, I have a sauce that you may be interested in. SHU tested over 3mil and it does actually taste and look good.  -cheers-

D3monic said:
Just reaffirms my comments about sauce makers that rely on extract for the sauce. But i'm not about to start another flame war

Awww... everyone feeling benevolent in the new year?    good on You D3~!!!

:lol:

Back on topic, the feelings about using extract in sauces has been well documented.  It's an educational process.... like convincing people that habaneros or even ghost peppers are NOT the hottest chiles in the world.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
Isn't that exactly what these doofuses (doofi?  :think: ) did?
:rofl:  OMG!  Hybrid,,,,that's cracking me up!!!  :lol:  So what should we call them?  Doofuses or Doofi?    I'll let those scolars of the vocabulary type settle that!   :lol:  Just let me know!!!

D3monic said:
I know we already had this discussion but I don't remember. Olesoresin is in fact extract, or is it just a concentrate? Same thing?

I'm curious, too. If it's extracted from the plant matter, therefore increasing it's concentration, what do we call it?
D3monic said:

according to oxford dic is doofuses

Well, there ya go! Saleslady, buy this man a beer!
D3monic said:
Was just looking at the "ass reaper" hot sauce and seen african olesoresin wtf ever that is

I think that's called melanin. 

I use a refined pure 16mil capsaicin powder.  Other capsaicin products are oil based and those are usually referred to as oleoresin, capsaicin oil, and many other terms.  "Chile Extracts" are often made by using harsh chemicals and taste the same.

Back-in-the-day....like 2001....the only thing available to bump up heat in a hot sauce was oleoresin extract.  But just dumping capsaicin powder in a sauce doesn't work either.

DOOFUSES!  There we go!  I'll Buy D3~ a beer!

D3monic said:
according to oxford dic is doofuses

heart breaking. was really hoping the pluralized form would have been doofi.

it matters little though, I've decided doofi it shall be.  

henceforth and forevermore.

notwithstanding

heretofore

SmokenFire said:

heart breaking. was really hoping the pluralized form would have been doofi.

it matters little though, I've decided doofi it shall be.  

henceforth and forevermore.

notwithstanding

heretofore

True appreciating the support word create I. 

edit: Therefore. 

Back