• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Slade's 2016 Texas Grow

Well, it's the new year, and it's time to get things going for 2016.

First up, last year's grow can be found here -> http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44060-slade122s-2014-greenhouse-glog/

I'm going to grow around the same number of plants as I did last year. Somewhere between 130-150.

I decided to do my starts differently this year. I'm going to start them entirely in the greenhouse, rather than starting them in my seed stand. I'm using 2 48"x20" heat mats. I'm planting in 3x8 cell layout "Landscape Trays" with dimensions  2.32"W x 2.2"L x 3.06"H. Last grow I used a ton of 2" individual cups. It was a really big pain, not doing that again. The only thing I'm risking is greater potential for disease and pest infestations, but I've been pre-treating for those issues for a while now to prevent them from cropping up, and will continue to do so.

I'm also starting later than I did last year. Last year I started my seeds in late October. They were far too big to stay in the greenhouse with the quantity of plants I was growing.

I pre-wet the Promix BX in my trays for planting the next day.

My grow list for this year (subject to change of course):

King Naga
Red Savina Habanero
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Peach Bhut (SS) [PL]
Moruga Scorpion Red
Moruga Scorpion Yellow
Moruga Scorpon Caramel
VV7 Scorpion
Douglah
7 Pot Primo Red
7 Pot Primo Yellow
7 Pot Brain Strain Red
Jona's Yellow Brain
7 Pot Madballz
7 Pot Barrackapore
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Mustard
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Caramel
7 Pot Brown
7 Pot Orange
7 Pot Cacanaguas
Peach Congo [PL]
Devil's Tongue
Devil's Brain [PL]
Aji Colorado
Tekne Dolmasi (My only sweet/stuffer of the year)

Overwintered Plants:

Chocolate Bhut
Red Bhut
White Naga
Moruga Scorpion Red
Bahamian Goat
Yucatan White Hab
Lemon Drop
Arroz Con Pollo
Chitlepin

Really nice list, interested in how peach congo does for you. Is this your first time growing it?

I've never grown peach Congo before, but if it is anything like a white Naga the flavor profile should be pretty interesting.

Good looking list! I did Peach Congo last year. Pretty awesome flavor!!!! I have a pic I'll throw up when I get to a computer. Happy 2016!

20150905_192018-1_zpsnprmpq1n-1_zps4hmrmv5a.jpg

Peach Congo (PL) most awesome flavor! Almost white in the heat of the summer, a little darker late season pods. Seriously tasty and hot as hell too.

Well guys, I got pretty lazy and didn't plant until feb. 6th. I planted 144 cells, and 8 of most varieties, and 4 of some. I trimmed down to 24 varieties. Unfortunately, I just had to weed some out.

Some peppers from the greenhouse.

Added 2 more heaters so the temperature is more consistent

Anyways, pics will come once I have sprouts in a few daysd

chiltepin said:
What do you do with all the peppers? Powder and sauce?
Yes, I use them fresh in my cooking, I make powders and sauces as well. Last year I made quite a few different kinds of sauces. I also make quite a bit of salsa. I also had some that were less hot last year that I pickled as well. This year I'm mainly focusing on powders though.

I give quite a few pods away to friends, family, and co-workers.

A little update.

109 out of 144 have sprouted.30 of which sprouted in the last 3 days. I'm kind of concerned about the rest, but maybe they are late bloomers. Most look healthy and vigorous. Some of the seedlings are working on their first set of true leaves.

A mutant sprouted.

I started a bonsai project. It didn't freeze this winter and some of the plants actually survived. Then I got the great idea to bonsai one. No idea what variety it is.

New growth. Woody stem.

Just went back and read through your last year's log, that fertilizer injection system you built is awesome. Looking forward to seeing how it works for you over the course of this year's grow. Good luck in 2016!

TXCG said:
Just went back and read through your last year's log, that fertilizer injection system you built is awesome. Looking forward to seeing how it works for you over the course of this year's grow. Good luck in 2016!
Thank you, it was pretty easy to build with supplies you can find at your average Lowes or Home Depot - excluding the injector. I hope to add two more injectors to seperate fertilizer components that need to be mixed with water before being combined with other fertilizer components as well as one for ph control to where I want it. That will allow me to have much greater control over the feeding. I can't rave enough about how much time it saves, it is the only way I can grow this many plants. It is also more efficient than doing it manually, less water and fertilizer wasted. THP member Juanitos also provided me with some resources, so thanks go out to him.

Back