• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Bell Peppers

I've grown bell peppers for several years, and have never had really impressive harvests. I bet I've grown at least 25 different kinds. Some are better than others, but I haven't had any real standouts as far as productivity. The plants are always big and healthy, but I probably average like 6 or 8 nice big peppers per plant, per season. I treat them pretty much the same as the hot peppers I grow, which are usually quite productive.

I'm not expecting them to have dozens and dozens of fruit on them like a Bhut or something, but is 6 or 8 normal?

Do you do anything special or different for bells than you do for hots?

Any recommendations of productive varieties to try?

The only bell pepper I have ever grown was the Horizon Bell.  I can recall only getting 4 peppers on the plant that I grew.  It was in a five gallon bucket.  I'm sure if it was in the ground with more space it would have had more fruit.  6-8 peppers seems like a good number for just one plant.  You should try growing the Jimmy Nardello if you haven't already grown it before.  It is not a bell variety but it is very sweet and pretty productive a well. 

I had 2 plants last season produce over a dozen each and a few others a half dozen. One of my good producers I left in the ground and its still alive so I'm hoping for a good production year from that bell plant. This year I'm growing bell type peppers from areas of middle east origin. I'm hoping they do well and I'll update THP on them towards the middle of summer.

I grew Islander last year (a purple bell type) and had decent results. I didn't count but they seemed to be fairly productive. Here, bells seem to like a sunshade. The large pods are more sensitive to sun scald.

I don't care for sweet peppers but I usually grow a few for family. 6-8 is usually what I would get when growing Bells. This year I'm doing golden marconi and gatherer's gold instead of bell. Everyone I gave those to last year raved about them and couldn't get enough. Both were a bit more productive than bells but they're large peppers like bells so not a huge amount of pods.

I try not to grow peppers I can get cheap at the market . That being said bells are not a plant that produces tons of fruit . They do produce very large fruits but I would consider making going with pablano or Anaheim peppers . Very similar flavors and much more productive . 

romy6 said:
 I try not to grow peppers I can get cheap at the market . That being said bells are not a plant that produces tons of fruit . They do produce very large fruits but I would consider making going with pablano or Anaheim peppers . Very similar flavors and much more productive . 
Yellows, Oranges and Reds are $1.00 each around here. So I would rather grow them. If the reds,yellows, oranges were the price of greens I wouldn't bother.

The Tinker Bell Peppers I grew last year  gave me 3 flushes and allot of peppers, sugar sweet, good in cold environments. Maybe try that :)

P6249869_PeppersTinkerBell-700_zpsipjyzahn.jpg
PA034031_TinkerBellPeppersBonchi-800_zpsrq3rs6yp.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Their like concentrated bell peppers, no heat, just super sweet, crisp.
http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Red_Tinker_Bell_Peppers_1138.php
It looks like there are red and yellow varieties. I will see if my local nursery will be carrying them this season. If not I will order some seeds for next year. This season I have a couple over wintered plants that survived the winter in ground outdoors plus a dozen plants of Middle Eastern bells. I'm covered this season lol. 

What size in that container you grew that plant in ?

I've never had luck the few times I've tried growing bell peppers here in Georgia, they always rot or get eaten before they ripen. I gave up on trying and grow Aconcagua peppers now for a big sweet pepper. They get huge and juicy and grow very well for me.

Back