• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water First time watering in months

I have a ghost pepper plant that I had planned on letting it go dormant for the winter, but in its current position it gets enough sun and warmth that it's slowly forming new growth. It's got nice little green leaves at the base, but I realized they have begun to droop. I'm almost positive this is because it hasn't received water since it was in the ground (October I believe).

How do I water it? I know it's a stupid question, but I don't know if I should just pour a little water in, or let it fully soak from the bottom like I'm doing with the seedlings.

It's got roughly a cubic foot of root system (it mostly fills up the pot). I'm guessing watering it too much is bad at this stage and I'm not sure if it could somehow be shocked since it's been so long without water.

Any help would be appreciated
8cbe2c5a613c15414deec5be0d0fbe72.jpg

I usually don't soak mine but give it just enough water to barely saturate the soil.  Can't really tell how big your pot is.  Def won't hurt it or shock it giving it water.

Yes I definitely would give it a light watering....it will make that plant real happy.

If your plant has been in that container for a while, you could probably gently pull the whole root ball by the trunk and see if there's moisture on the bottom.
I have many times in the past.
Good job at not overwatering! :)

Jamison said:
I usually don't soak mine but give it just enough water to barely saturate the soil.  Can't really tell how big your pot is.  Def won't hurt it or shock it giving it water.

Sizzle Lips said:
Yes I definitely would give it a light watering....it will make that plant real happy.

Lovepeppers said:
If your plant has been in that container for a while, you could probably gently pull the whole root ball by the trunk and see if there's moisture on the bottom.
I have many times in the past.
Good job at not overwatering! :)

Thanks guys. I tried pulling it up and the dirt that the roots had been holding fell apart. I also poked around at the bottom via the drainage hole and couldn't feel any moisture, so I dumped in an 8 oz glass of water all around the base of the plant and after a day the leaves have perked up. I'm not sure if it needs more, but I'll keep on eye on it. I guess that's all it needed. Thanks for reassuring me, I just didn't want to somehow screw up watering.

The leaves looking nice and green:

A picture for size reference. The whole thing is a little under 2' tall. Pardon the mess:

The only stupid question is the one that you DON'T ask.

Good on you for asking it, you were well rewarded with good advice.

SR.

nzchili said:
be mindful if its really cold though, cold waterlogged roots will not make it happy.
How cold is too cold? I think the coldest it would see is maybe high fifties in the dead of night. Typically it's 65+.

I only gave it 8 oz of water. I think I'll wait until I see the leaves start to droop before I give it another 8, unless anyone has a better suggestion

Umba
I should of been more specific.
First your root ball must have filled your pot and should be on the dry side. Then I put the trunk in-between my fingers then flip upside down while holding it. Then I lift the pot up.
If roots have not filled soil or if soil is wet, then soil can break free from around the roots.

By the way your plant is doing, there is no need to do this.

I do this now and then to see if my plants are getting root bound.

Happy 2016 growing!

Back