•  

The 10th Annual Hot Pepper Awards Winners Announced!

Photo

P. Dreadie Memorial Group Grow 2016

P. Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Sele

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#541 Malarky

Malarky

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

Lookin good guys

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#542 stettoman

stettoman

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • aka:stett, stetto, ernestetto, Eric

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

Congrats on the P. Dreadies Bicycle808! Here is a crappy late evening shot of my P. Dreadie plant. The pods are ripening much more orangish this Fall, instead of the yellow that I got in the higher Summer temos. It looks like I'll have a few more pods to munch on from this plant, this season.

All of my Dreadie/Mahalas ripened an orange-yellow. All year. I assume it's the cross, but is there an environmental effect on color?

Do what I mean, not what I say.....

#543 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

Here is a couple of handfuls of P. Dreadies I picked this morning. I'm looking forward to growing this variety next year, but starting it early, like the rest of my plants, instead of way late like I did this year. The flavor on these is very enjoyable.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170928_092858.jpg

#544 Chewi

Chewi

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • aka:Ilikebeer, grillmaster

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:33 AM

Really enjoying watching everyone's grow! Mine got beaten down early this spring from a few bad storms. Loaded now, just waiting on the yellow to mellow.

Peace!

#545 windchicken

windchicken

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

Everyone's Dreadie pods look just amazing! Thanks so much for growing it, guys!

Here's a link to a video I made a couple days ago of my little Dreadie bed. I'm linking straight to its location on my iCloud share, rather than giving it to YouTube to down-res:

https://www.icloud.c...31-C8D97ED2D655

#546 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,531 posts
  • aka:Iron Mike

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:41 PM

Great video, Gary! Question: How do you get your Bonnet plants so tall?! Every Bonnet I've ever grown has been much shorter with same same bushy canopy. Do you purposely try to grow them "leggy" in the beginning of the season, so they're taller later on, or is that typically how the Dreadie grows?
GIVE WAR A CHANCE

#547 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:26 PM

Here is another nice little evening picking from my P. Dreadie plant.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171001_202339.jpg

#548 windchicken

windchicken

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

Great video, Gary! Question: How do you get your Bonnet plants so tall?! Every Bonnet I've ever grown has been much shorter with same same bushy canopy. Do you purposely try to grow them "leggy" in the beginning of the season, so they're taller later on, or is that typically how the Dreadie grows?

Thanks Mike! The Papa Dreadie seems to just grow tall naturally. These plants are actually a bit shorter than my last year's Dreadies, which were in a shadier part of the yard...

The only thing I'm doing differently this year, besides planting out too late, is to keep the "sucker" branches clipped off (everything below the first fork), in the style of many of the European growers. It seems to force more of the plants' energy to the crown, thus creating a thicker canopy and more fruit set. I don't think that pruning has had much effect on the plants' height, though, as these plants are actually shorter than my last year's plants, which weren't pruned at all...

#549 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 40,536 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

I used every single PDreadie in this batch. Really nice, smooth heat, next year I think I'll tweak the flavor balance a tad....

22007296_352184848564140_163849853331432

Awesome!

:cheers:

#550 roper2008

roper2008

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

Beautiful pods.  I can see this pepper in one of my ground meat/potato recipe.  I didn't get any seeds when Gary was giving awaylast year.  I was too late posting.   Would it be possible now to grow for next year?  LMK  I have freshly harvested Texas Bird Pepper seed that I purchased from Monticello last year.  Let me know if anyone has seed.   Thanks

Linda

Edited by roper2008, 15 October 2017 - 09:09 AM.

When the government fears the people, it is freedom. When the people fear the government, it is tyranny.

#551 stettoman

stettoman

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • aka:stett, stetto, ernestetto, Eric

Posted Yesterday, 09:46 AM

Hay Gary, I saved every single seed from those Dreadies, they weren't by chance open pollinated next to, say, a fatali or some such? I'd like to try again next year with these, hoping for a pure strain.

BTW, the Dreadie/Mahalas are one of the most successful plants I had this year. Every single pod ripened on the vine! I'm freezing them for posterity, and recipes down the line.

Do what I mean, not what I say.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests