771 replies to this topic

#721 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:31 AM

As a somewhat inexperienced grower, I figured out early on that I'll quit in a hurry if I try to hold mY plants up against what the truly excellent growers produce. 

This is a matter of survival for me, too.   ;)

🦆

Edited by Uncle_Eccoli, 29 April 2019 - 10:32 AM.

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#722 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:37 AM

This is a matter of survival for me, too.   ;)

🦆

Just take it day by day, and don't give up. Your plants want to survive just as much as you do. Just give them what they need, try something different if something's not working, and ask for help here... Huge concentration of experts on THP. But if you can keep enough plants alive for long enough, you will have peppers before season's end....

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#723 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:44 AM

Just take it day by day, and don't give up. Your plants want to survive just as much as you do. Just give them what they need, try something different if something's not working, and ask for help here... Huge concentration of experts on THP. But if you can keep enough plants alive for long enough, you will have peppers before season's end....

Every word of this is spot on; it ought to head a sticky or something.  To wit: I've got some peppers already and things are looking promising!

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#724 Pepper-Guru

Pepper-Guru

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

I just try to do better this year than I did last year. If 2019 Bike808 can outperform 2018 Bike808, I'm improving, and that's good enough for me.

That IS the entire Guru thing. The premise/ironic joke/journey. Just trying to get out of our own way each season and to ascend. 

Feed the Soil

#725 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:31 PM

In the wise words of Homer Simpson, "it's funny bc it's true."

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#726 TrentL

TrentL

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:52 PM

Pfft. I've probably killed more peppers doing stupid experiments than most of ya have ever grown. :)

Doing things wrong is how we learn guys, don't get discouraged. :)

#727 Trident chilli

Trident chilli

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,970 posts
  • aka:Trident

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

Just throwing this out .... besides me is anyone else growing a Red P. Dreadie

#728 MarcV

MarcV

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

I didn't know a red one existed... :oops:

...but I might be wrong...

#729 Sawyer

Sawyer

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • aka:Sawyer

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:34 PM

I planted eleven of these (yellow) in a remote rain garden last week. Sort of a guerilla planting, I guess, I likely won't be able to check on them again until June. But the soil is deep, rich, and well-mulched and from watching radar images, there's been plenty of rain to get them settled in. Plus the whole space is enclosed in tall chain link fence with barbed wire at the top. If they survive and produce, I should have plenty of isolated seeds for these.

I moved my original plant outside today. It was planted 160309. It struggled this winter, but made it through alive. Likewise with one started last year from seed from the first one. Once they perk up and put out some new leaves, I'll post some pictures of them.
Plants are people, too.

#730 Trident chilli

Trident chilli

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:29 AM

I didn't know a red one existed... :oops:

Marc from my notes the seed came curtesy of Andy (Walchit) according to him from “Texas Hot Peppers”. Will have to see how the plant matures

a2dc743fe7871ab761ff137267c3dfae.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#731 Blister

Blister

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:57 PM

Potted these up some time ago. Looks like they are close to going into their final homes. The weather is starting to warm up and I'm getting some free light now. Can't wait for some jerk chicken and pork later this year28539b80ff3ae54de282ba5100b59531.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

#732 Trident chilli

Trident chilli

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:29 AM

Great healthy roots Neil .... going to be a great plant for the kitchen

#733 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:07 PM

Thanks again, TGCM, for the seeds and for everything you do for this community. As usual, I'm growing a bunch of yellow Bonnets (probably 36 plants, plus i got some buddies stoked to take my culls, do I'll be involved with some extras as well) and I'm hoping this will be the year that the Dreadies perform as well for me as they have for other folks on here...

Update, pics to come: I have been eating ripe Dreadies all week. I got six plants in a raised bed out back, and I gave two plants to my buddy Dave-- he was stoked to harvest his first two homegrown Yella Scotch Bonnets yesterday; both came off the same Dreadie plant, grown from seeds I got from TGCM.

But yeah, I gotta post some pics. The pods' shapes are still a bit irregular on this first wave of pods, but the spikes and warts are presenting nicely. One thing the pics will not show is the flavor; we've been podtesting these, head-to-head, versus other Yella Bonnets and all my chile buddies agree that the initial sweet fruitiness of the Dreadies is tough to beat.

#734 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:15 PM

Some lame pics here; I'll post better ones soon. http://imgur.com/gallery/taQtGkg

#735 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:03 AM

I got a few with a really nice shape atm but none ripe yet. I tend to get more Dreadies that look like this one.

First ripe Dreadie for the season.

IPd0R0R.jpg

Wont be much longer now though :D

Vw5dyLg.jpg

29gN5u9.jpg

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 25 July 2019 - 10:08 AM.

#736 MarcV

MarcV

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

P.Dreadie is not an easy one for me. Hasn't set a single fruit until now...

#737 MarcV

MarcV

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:54 AM

I was too fast... I just checked again and it appears that it has set a single pod! :D

#738 Trident chilli

Trident chilli

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

P.Dreadie is not an easy one for me. Hasn't set a single fruit until now...

Marc I am struggling too with the Yellow P. Dreadie but the Red variation has plenty of immature pods .... other bonnets have flown ... UKs hottest day for July 36.9 centigrade 98.42F

#739 MarcV

MarcV

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:02 AM

The heat is unbeareble... we are at 40.8°C shadow temperature in the back yard when I'm writing this. That's 105.44°F... Highest temp ever recorded.

And no significant rain for weeks... I hope this isn't the new normal...

#740 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:09 AM

One year that was really hot i grew MOA yellows. I didnt get many pods but not too bad. Dreadies come on a little slow here but still do very well even in the heat. MOA red was a very strong and early producer in high temps. TFMs look like they will do ok this year but its looking like the Dreadies are going to do slightly better.

Flavor....its gunna be hard to beat the Dreadies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests