• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Over Wintering Benefits

I live in Texas and we have been having strange weather all around. 

I brought my Ghost and Lemon Drop plants in two months ago. I just was not sure with the weather, we been having. 

The plants seem to be doing very well, thriving and frolicking in there pots. 

My question are thus follows

1. Do they get larger after you transplant them again in the warmer part of the new year?

2. Should I expect higher yields, if above question turns out to be a yes?

3. Anything I should know or do, while I wait till the weather warms up?

Thanks for anyone who answers. Appreciate it!  :)

Howdy, and welcome!

Like all plants, they will continue to grow and get larger year by year, assuming all their needs are met.

Yields are so dependent upon your growing conditions, as well as the variety and age of the plant. I've had years with "perfect" grow conditions and lots of yield, and years with much less than perfect conditions with little yield. Too wet of a year, too dry of a year, etc., can make your production seem like a rollercoaster ride. Regarding the age of the plant, many folks will tell you that the first two years yields top production, then things seem to taper off after that. This really depends upon the variety - pubescens can be high producers for upwards of 15 years, as an example. I'd suggest keeping some going for a while and deciding for yourself.

I have to disagree with 10/6's assessment of your third question. It's not uncommon for aphids to remain hidden until things warm up, then BAM! Keep an eye out for these suckers and have a plan already in place for if they show up. Options include getting ladybugs (I do this almost every year and yes, release them on the plants inside my house, but then I'm not in Texas any more), using Neem Oil -based insecticides, and insecticidal soap. Check out CAPCOM's offer - send him a PM to get info/a link.

Maybe
no
yes

1. Just transplanting them to a larger container does not guarantee anything, but is an essential element of many to larger plants.
2. Higher yield do not come solely from the size of the container or I and many others would be growing in swimming pools filled with soil.
3. Read, read and read some more. Learn about proper light, nutrients, pH, temps, over abundance of water, pests and common virus that affect pepper plant health.

Oh, that offer that geeme refereed to has been rescinded, sorry.

geeme said:
Howdy, and welcome!

I have to disagree with 10/6's assessment of your third question. It's not uncommon for aphids to remain hidden until things warm up, then BAM! Keep an eye out for these suckers and have a plan already in place for if they show up. Options include getting ladybugs (I do this almost every year and yes, release them on the plants inside my house, but then I'm not in Texas any more), using Neem Oil -based insecticides, and insecticidal soap. Check out CAPCOM's offer - send him a PM to get info/a link.

Agreed. This is the worst part of overwintering for me. Come early spring, my overwinters get hammered with aphids and mites. Outside, none can be found late season as they are held in check. But, they come back in full force in the garage with no natural predators. So, keep a close watch and be ready to hit them hard. Usually I move them into a greenhouse full of ladybugs in early May, and that starts balancing things out. BUT, overall I don't do that many overwinters anymore. It's easier for me to control things with new starts.

hottoddy said:

Agreed. This is the worst part of overwintering for me. Come early spring, my overwinters get hammered with aphids and mites. Outside, none can be found late season as they are held in check. But, they come back in full force in the garage with no natural predators. So, keep a close watch and be ready to hit them hard. Usually I move them into a greenhouse full of ladybugs in early May, and that starts balancing things out. BUT, overall I don't do that many overwinters anymore. It's easier for me to control things with new starts.
i agree.
I only start new seedlings in the house. Fortunately for me, because of my few light freezes in the winter, I can overwinter my chosen plants to stay where they are in the ground. I just cut them back and and they start taking off again in February.

One more thought for now - I highly recommend you get a fan on them, if you don't already. This serves two purposes. The first is to help ensure that no mold or fungus can take hold, particularly in the soil. Keeping the soil dry on top helps prevent this. Do be sure to let the soil dry out as much as possible between waterings (not bone-dry though.) A couple of my OW's got a soil fungus one year; the signs were a) the soil kept looking wet and b) die-back from the tips of the branches down. To help prevent this (or stop it, if you catch it in time) is to water with a mix of h2o2 and water at least every now and then. It doesn't hurt to include h2o2 every time. Here's a link to a handy chart for watering with h2o2. The second purpose of the fan is to help simulate outdoor conditions. When it comes time to bring them back outside you are going to have to go through a hardening-off period, to get them used to outdoor conditions again. Having a fan on them now will help simulate the wind part, at least reducing the need to harden off for that particular condition. You'll still have to gradually let them get accustomed to full sunlight, but it won't be as tough on the plants as if you allowed the air to be still around them the entire time they were indoors.

Awesome! Thanks for all the helpful reply's! Last question, assuming everything goes well for them, should I expect them to somewhat double in height? 

Don't expect anything from pepper plants and you wont become disappointed when they dont. Give them what they need and nothing less and they will do what they do. Then you may be pleasantly surprised.

Think of your pepper plants as Christmas.

Back