• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite Paprika Varieties

Love paprika. Is it for presentation or does it have taste? Haha. We sprinkled some on lobster bisque for lunch today. I only have experience with one type - Alma - a very tasty pepper for powder. I don't want to discourage posts here so post your favorite and also check this thread from last year:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/57832-paprika-varitiy-recomendations/?fromsearch=1

Very good info on paprika peppers!

Aaron - hopefully when I send the seed train to you some Paprika pepper types will be on it!

chiltepin said:
Love paprika. Is it for presentation or does it have taste? Haha. We sprinkled some on lobster bisque for lunch today. I only have experience with one type - Alma - a very tasty pepper for powder. I don't want to discourage posts here so post your favorite and also check this thread from last year:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/57832-paprika-varitiy-recomendations/?fromsearch=1

Very good info on paprika peppers!

Aaron - hopefully when I send the seed train to you some Paprika pepper types will be on it!
I'm just wondering what are peoples favorite in terms of flavor, but also other qualities as well. Thank you, I will check out that thread. Looking forward to the train!

rghm1u20 said:
Hey Aaron, are you in search for peppers suitable for paprika?

Hey Adrain, I do have several varieties, including the ones you gave me. I trying to figure out which ones are a must, and which one are not. I have been looking for pritamin paprika, and a couple others I cannot think of at the moment. I'm really interested in which varieties people love the best.

Haha! I remember no more what I sent to you :confused:
I suppose the Szeged 80 was there, right? Dunno about the Tap de Corti....
The Szeged 80 is typical for Hungarian paprika (paprika - I mean the powder), and Tap de Corti for Spanish paprika.There are others too, of course.
PM me a list, if you want me to hunt some :)
EDIT: looking at the Pritamin, I think it is not a pepper used for paprika.

I grew a few paprika types last year. I made paprika powder with a blend of Szegedi 80 and Kurtovska Kapija. I've made Hungarian Goulash with it, and we sprinkle it on soup, etc. I'm very pleased with it. By the way, the seeds came from Adrian (rghm1u20), so thanks again Adrian. I grew Szentesi Cseresnye, but the pods are small and seedy, so I didn't try to clean pods and make powder.

Other powder varieties that did well for me were Tap de Corti, Aleppo, and Piment d'Espelette.

rghm1u20 said:
Haha! I remember no more what I sent to you :confused:
I suppose the Szeged 80 was there, right? Dunno about the Tap de Corti....
The Szeged 80 is typical for Hungarian paprika (paprika - I mean the powder), and Tap de Corti for Spanish paprika.There are others too, of course.
PM me a list, if you want me to hunt some :)
EDIT: looking at the Pritamin, I think it is not a pepper used for paprika.

The Sveged 80 you sent me, and I'm looking forward to trying it. I don't believe I have the Tap de Corti.
Thanks for the offer :)
Do you have a Hungarian type that is a must in your garden each year?
I wonder as well about Pritamin. I became interested in it after hearing about its use in WW1 for British soldiers as a vitamin.
kentishman said:
I grew a few paprika types last year. I made paprika powder with a blend of Szegedi 80 and Kurtovska Kapija. I've made Hungarian Goulash with it, and we sprinkle it on soup, etc. I'm very pleased with it. By the way, the seeds came from Adrian (rghm1u20), so thanks again Adrian. I grew Szentesi Cseresnye, but the pods are small and seedy, so I didn't try to clean pods and make powder.

Other powder varieties that did well for me were Tap de Corti, Aleppo, and Piment d'Espelette.

Thank you for the input. I will look to see if I have Kurtovska Kapija.
I bet that Goulash is great!

kentishman said:

AaronTT said:

The Sveged 80 you sent me, and I'm looking forward to trying it. I don't believe I have the Tap de Corti.
Thanks for the offer :)
Do you have a Hungarian type that is a must in your garden each year?
I wonder as well about Pritamin. I became interested in it after hearing about its use in WW1 for British soldiers as a vitamin.

Thank you for the input. I will look to see if I have Kurtovska Kapija.
I bet that Goulash is great!
@Kentishman: you are very welcome, my friend! You sent me also a lot of nice seeds!

@AaronTT & @Kentishman: Kapija and Pritamin are not dedicated for paprika. Kapija is more used grilled and made as salad (Tom, I think I told you about this recipe), and also for making Serbian specialty Ajvar and Pindjur, and also Romanian Zacusca.
The Pritamin (which I understand is combined from Prima Vitamin words, because high level of Vitamin C) is also used for the same things as Kapija. Have you seen the picture of it? Is a round, flat, somehow ribbed pepper, very thick flesh. I think is a pain to dry it. We call it Gogosar in Romania, and there are also other kind of these (I mean, all the sweet peppers having that round, flat shape are called Gogosar in Romania, and there are different kind of them).

@AaronTT: no Hungarian "must have" in my garden, so far. Probably would like the Alma, tu stuff it with fine chopped cabbage and pickle them.

Later edit: I have a hunch, must make it clear for me, but maybe the Pritamin is used in Hungary to name a GROUP of peppers, those round flat peppers. Asked an online Hungarian guy (ChiliHungaria), waiting for an answer now.

hottoddy said:

I only have Leutschauer seeds, supposedly from Slovakia. Is it worth growing?

I had Leutschauer Paprika last year. It has little bit of heat ( i would say around 2000-3000 Scoville).  I didnt liked the fresh taste. Too hard, not too many juice and a little bit sour. 

But its a good pepper for a mild an aromatic powder.

For "fresh-eating" i can reccomend "peperoni die Senise". Sweet and very aromatic, zero heat. I liked it more than other paprikas. 

Zackorz said:

I had Leutschauer Paprika last year. It has little bit of heat ( i would say around 2000-3000 Scoville).  I didnt liked the fresh taste. Too hard, not too many juice and a little bit sour. 

But its a good pepper for a mild an aromatic powder.

For "fresh-eating" i can reccomend "peperoni die Senise". Sweet and very aromatic, zero heat. I liked it more than other paprikas. 

Thank you for the input and recommendation, I will look for this one.

rghm1u20 said:
OK, according to ChiliHungaria, Pritamin is a pepper, not a generic name for a group. It is an F1 hybrid. I hope he will join the topic, maybe he can give other names of peppers used for Paprika, in Hungary.

Here you can see a picture of Pritamin  http://vitaminszalon.hu/zoldseg/termekbemutatas/pritamin-paprika-ledig

$_1.JPG

This is one, I don't know if its the true one, or perhaps a special form? I been trying to find this one from a site I can understand and purchase but I have not found it yet.

ChiliHungaria said:
Hi! Produced on an industrial scale in Hungary. Very nice pepper! I love! Sorry, me if I wrote something wrong , I do not speak English well. :scared:

You wrote it fine, thank you for the input. Looks like a nice pepper to grow this season, and so I will.

rghm1u20 said:
I see your pepper here http://bacs-gazda-coop.addel.hu/25571-paprika/569256-pritamin-paprika-alexander
Very cheap, 80 Forint is about 0,25euro per package (and I think there are 100 seeds, not sure). Plus shipping.

Aaron, do you want me to try get some?

Adrian, thank you for the offer, and I would take you up on it, but I just found a source. If it turns out to be fake...

floricole said:

If you want some "Tap de Cortí" I do have seeds from Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain 

Thank you for the offer. I'm getting the seed train here soon, so I want to see if its perhaps on it. I might get back to you if not, and perhaps do a seed swap or at least cover postage.

FreeportBum said:
no heat but nocturne was the most fragrant pepper I have ever grown. No joke you could smell them on the plants in the evening from a few feet away.  awesome powder wish I had more. 

Thank you for the input, I am going to take a look at this one. I have not heard of it.

Back