• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Blender for making hot sauces

Hello all,
        How important is the blender component when making hot sauces? IE how will different types of blenders "immersion, food processor, regular blender" affect the look, taste, appearance of the final end product? Also does horsepower of the motor/blender affect the overall end product? Same question but for blades, IE 2 vs 4 blades or blades at bottom vs a ninja style blender who's blades start at base and go upward.

What would be the ideal blender for making hot sauces? What do you use and why?

*Edit- a word.

How do you like the blendtec? Also is there a noticeable difference in the blended product between the blendtec and ninja?

The reason I'm asking is after reading a lot of reviews for blenders it seems like the vitamix and similar tier blenders are noted to create a finer blended product then the ninja style blenders and also lower power/tier regular blenders. The other buzzwords commonly used in vitamix blenders was the ability to pulverize grains and other things.

With that being said if a blender A creates a finer blended product than blender B are more of the flavors of the ingredients better integrated and transferred to the end product after straining?

Feebs said:
How do you like the blendtec? Also is there a noticeable difference in the blended product between the blendtec and ninja?

The reason I'm asking is after reading a lot of reviews for blenders it seems like the vitamix and similar tier blenders are noted to create a finer blended product then the ninja style blenders and also lower power/tier regular blenders. The other buzzwords commonly used in vitamix blenders was the ability to pulverize grains and other things.

With that being said if a blender A creates a finer blended product than blender B are more of the flavors of the ingredients better integrated and transferred to the end product after straining?
The Blendtec and Vitamix do a much better job at blending a finer more consistent product with sauces, smoothies, iced drinks etc........... Youtube has several video's you can watch with comparisons of these blenders from those in the smoothie business. Enjoy the video :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NweA-ybN_Y

Thanks and sounds good I will have a look. From a lot of the reviews i have read they go into detail about the aeration that vitamix and similar blenders provide and how that's useful for milkshakes/soups and also stuff about grains/nuts.  None of the reviews i have read really state or detail anything related to making hot sauces. The difference being sauces not strained vs hot sauce being strained. They tend to cover soups, grains/nuts, smoothies and milkshakes etc. Things that go from the blender into a pan/bowl/cup.

Thats why I'm wondering: If blender A is more powerful-more blades and pulverizes, crushes, blends whatever, the hot sauce ingredients into a much more finer product than blender B does that in turn translate into a better end product after straining?

After reading reviews for ninja style blenders most tend to say that the ninja and lower power traditional blenders do leave a little fiber material vs vitamix style blenders saying its been liquefied. My mind tells me that if the materials being blended are liquefied and no fiber is left than the resulting sauce would have better flavor integration vs being blended and fibers remain. I understand that the sauce would be strained and the fibers would not make it into the end product so that's not really a concern or question.

I'm looking to buy a blender for hot sauces and not smoothies. If i put the same exact ingredients in a vitamix blender and in a lets say a 30$ blender from walmart would i get the same exact tasting recipe at the end provided everything was done the same with the exception of the blenders?

On a side note thank you for linking me to some blender babes! Turned it on mute and turned the closed captioning on and ended up having some laughs because the CC is horrible. have to watch when i get home.

I'm not sure if taste is affected too much when comparing blender brands/types/quality. It's more of a texture question whether you like a thin tobasco-ish sauce or a thicker sauce.
I'm still just a couple years into making my own sauce and have only used an immersion blender and use a food mill to remove the seeds. I may look into blenders if/when my immersion dies but am happy with my setup for now.

I have a blendtec and almost never use anything above the low speed setting because I like to strain my sauces. If I go up to medium or high speed it blends so well that it just pours right through my strainer. Even so, it's not necessarily a thin sauce just because it poured through.

Blenders used to last for 30 years, now the $50 average ones if your lucky last 6months. I use a blender basically every morning and got fed up with them burning out after 6-8 months on a smoothy, so I spent the money on a Blendtec, works great and basically does the same as a Vitamix at half the price.

I didn't want any chance of leftover oils in my Vitamix or my Bullit messing up my margaritas anymore.  Did it once, finally got it clean. All it takes is one little tiny bit of Reaper oil. So I bought a blender dedicated to peppers.  Picked up a Rival Personal Blender at Wally World for $9.74.  All I need it to do is break everything down enough for simmering.  It even works well with a chunk of fresh ginger.  Then I strain through a conical strainer (a 'Chinois' in chef terms), and reheat for bottling.  It's nice in that it doesn't pulverize the seeds like a Vitamix or a Ninja will.  The remaining mush from the strainer goes onto the fruit leather plastic thing in the dehydrator, then gets ground into delicious pepper powder.

Back