• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Trouble germinating Brown Moruga

Hi all,

I have 2 dozen varieties of seeds started which I am beginning to harden off. They are used to the cold, but I am being extra careful with the sun.

I have some other difficult to germinate pepper seeds that have not given me any trouble. They are all happy and have their second set of true leaves.

Enter the Brown Moruga. I tried jiffy pellets, seed starting mix in a solo cup, and the paper towel method (all 22 seeds I ordered). Not 1 sprout.

Anyone else have trouble germinating Brown Moruga seeds? I have used all of my seeds at this point, so hoping for some pointers before i buy the second round and try again. I don't have a MEAN brown/chocolate in my lineup for the season without it, or another.

Any advice, GREATLY appreciated. Thank you chili gods of THP.

alphajam said:
Hi all,

I have 2 dozen varieties of seeds started which I am beginning to harden off. They are used to the cold, but I am being extra careful with the sun.

I have some other difficult to germinate pepper seeds that have not given me any trouble. They are all happy and have their second set of true leaves.

Enter the Brown Moruga. I tried jiffy pellets, seed starting mix in a solo cup, and the paper towel method (all 22 seeds I ordered). Not 1 sprout.

Anyone else have trouble germinating Brown Moruga seeds? I have used all of my seeds at this point, so hoping for some pointers before i buy the second round and try again. I don't have a MEAN brown/chocolate in my lineup for the season without it, or another.

Any advice, GREATLY appreciated. Thank you chili gods of THP.
How long? At least a week? Past a month?

Eight weeks? Too long! I agree with Juanitos, 0/22 after 8 weeks sounds like a bad batch of seeds to me. I would just reorder if I were you. If you have successfully germinated 2 dozen varieties, then obviously you are doing something right. I think it was the seeds.

Similar issue with my Primos. I use little .5 ounce hot sauce cups from my work. I have had one seed germinate. The others kind of darkened and cracked open with no root. The one that germinated I am treating like the holy grail. All my other seeds are doing just fine.

Both my original brown moruga seeds from puckerbutts and the seeds I got from them that I had grown for the 2015 season had decent germ rates. Pm me and I can send you some of my seeds if you'd like. I am sure you will get a few to sprout but like pier_man says they might take longer.

I purchased some brown morugas last year from a well known vendor. One germed last year and this year not one will pop. Maybe I have just a bad batch of seeds. I have enough superb varieties this year anyhow.

badnews222 said:
ive had no issues...i am having trouble germinating my pineapple rocoto...its been about 40 days and still nothing,,,
Yeah, I always have trouble with those guys. Make sure their medium remains moist and check the temperatures on it.

Back