• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting fermenting, marinating or big mistake?

So I'm still new to the pepper world and havent even got into learning fermenting but I roasted some garlic for an hour and sauteed some jalapenos, habaneros and red bell peppers then added some water and let them simmer for a bit. Eventually I decided it was too late to run the noisy food processor so I put everything in a big gallon sized zip lock and saved it in the fridge. "I'll blend them up tomorrow" turned into 5 days...Is this like fermenting or marinating or should I just throw them out?

You are not fermenting.  If anything you're aging.  At 5 days you're still in a food safe window because it's been in the fridge.  You're fine to run the food processor and try the sauce - just keep it in the fridge and use it up within the next 3-5 days.  Without knowledge of any added acid (vinegar, citrus) or knowing what pH the ingredients currently are I would advise against keeping it for much longer than 3-5 days longer. 

So blend it up and taste it and use it up this weekend.  :)

20160125_053057-1024x576.jpg

Here is my hot sauce in action! Very good garlicky flavor and just a little bit of heat. Not to mention no ill effects from being in the fridge for almost a week. I think I have a good recipe worth a few more trial runs :)

sirex said:
You roasted garlic for an hour !!!! How ?!?! How was it not burned?
low and slow?  225-250F I could see it working. 

I've roasted 5 pounds of peeled garlic at a time, in a flat pan with olive oil, seems like I went about 275-300 and it took about an hour.  5# is a lot to roast at one time though.

Also- ++ to what SnF posted.  With the ingredients as posted, there is no acids to help preserve it.  Basically consider it like any other cooked vegetable (I like to use green beans as an example).  How long would you keep cooked green beans in the fridge and then eat them?   

Back