• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

And the New Season Begins!

Well I just started my grow for the new year! 360 seeds down... 80 varieties! I clearly need some kind of therapy

5GQHP1E.jpg

shown in one of two trays.. (don't worry, the seeds were covered after I took the photo...and...cat for scale)

Varieties this year:

Cyclone               
Czech Black
Orange Cayenne
Lipstick
Jamaican Gold
Peruvian Serlano
Serrano Long
Santaka Hot Asian
Thai Dragon
Orange Thai
Maxican Finger
Devils Brain
Red Devils Tongue
Devils Horn
Tiger Teeth
Billy Goat
Leutschauer Paprika
Kurtovska Paprika
Bishops Crown
Yuba Tuba
Trinidad Perfume
India Juala
Orange Startfish
Brazilian Starfish              
Volcano
Puya
Orange Suave
Aji Amarillo
Costena Amarillo
Aji Pineapple
Aji Pepon
Aji Jobito
Aji Llaneron
Aji Rosita Red
Aji Rosita Yellow
Aji Ahua Chapan
Botineeka Zuta
Cleos Dragon
Aji Margariteno               
Aji Fantasy
Habanero Roatan
Pimenta Trepidiera Do Werner
Aji Limon
Pasilla Bajio
Chinese Giant   
Aleppo
Habanero Martinique   
Yellow Infinity  
Rocoto                 
Tsholala Orange
Pimiento De Padron
Orange Teapot 
Red Pumpkin
Aji Mango
Rainforest
Fish pepper
Green Fatali
Red Fatali
Black Fatali
Trindad Congo
7 Pot Primo
Kraken (red)
Carolina Reaper               
7 Pot Brainstrain
Brazilian Ghost 
Ice Scream         
Bubblegum
Bad Brainz
Sunrse
Szentesi Csereszyne
Elongated Bubblegum
BOC
Bhut Creamy Yellow
White Ghost
Red Savina x Fatali
Limeon Lime Trinidad Scorpion
Red naga Brains               
Red Moruga
Red Cardi Scorpion
Bulgarian Carrot x  Bhut Jolokia

twenty said:
even the cat thinks you're out of control, lol

True! But he usually has that dissapproving look to him. heh

D3monic said:
lemon lime scorpion.. sounds cool

yes! I was sent one in a sample box and I am excited to see how it grows out. I am not sure if it is stable or not.

santis00 said:
Cat for scale? We don't know if thats a 30lb cat or 7 lb cat... jk.

Looking good!

He feels like he is 30 lbs when he sits on my chest at night!

pepperguy1 said:
What are those blocks made of ?  :think:

They are soil blocks.. Compressed soil. They work really well and you can fit many on one tray (I have 160 per tray!).

The press has an indentation for the seed to fit in. If you do it right, the soil is so compressed you can pick it up easily without it falling apart and as long as you keep it wet (with a wicking mat) it stays together. You basically take very fine potting soil and add enough water to make it like peanut butter. load the press by punching it down into the soil with force.. I keep doing it until no more dirt can get in.. put the press flat on a surface and press the handle down to compress the water out. The handle also will push the blocks out if its lifted while doing it. 

Once the seedling grow, the root system keeps it together even better.

Also, transplanting it there is no shock to the seedling. You just pick up the block and place it into a container or whatever. I just use my thumb to put a hole in a larger container and place that block into it. very easy. I also like it because I never have to buy anything other than fine soil mix (it has to be very fine with little debris). I have used it for three years now and it is very well made and cleans up really easy.

QtDwTJt.jpg

Using it (the top handle presses down to release the soil blocks

qXENwKh.jpg

What the bottom looks like:

KJCvD9S.jpg

Top of the individual soil block with indentation:

KXu93IU.jpg

Side view.. (again.. cat for scale):

MUcrk2b.jpg

Am I allowed to post the vendor where I bought it? just google soil block maker..Johnny seeds and that one I posted is the 20 block maker.

It is called Sunshine Natural and Organic

Bag looks like this:

L5JuGDZ.jpg

I have had really good luck with germination, but because the blocks are tiny compared to the burpee tray cells, I have to use a heat regulator with the heat mat

Martino said:
i hope you are successful. i have been looking for Aji Jobito for a longgg time.

I hope these grow! I only had a few seeds to work with. If they are successful and  get pods, I would be more than happy to send you some seeds!

SvtCobra said:
 The cat is thinking of all the seedlings it might have an opportunity to eat soon.

Or wanting to use the dirt for something!  :)

GhostPepperz said:
You are going to have a LOT of peppers if all goes well

Yes I know.. I make this mistake every year. But there are so many varieties I want to try!! I am like a pepper hoarder!

Ok.. so update on the seedlings: I had several pop up on day 5 and every day get new ones.. Most varieties have popped so far with a few stubborn ones. I will give those at least another week and then try again. I will have to transplant the little ones soon into the 2" square rose pots.. I can get 36 of those per tray I think.. Anyhow, pics or it didn't happen:

dEI9nwy.jpg

hvgahiG.jpg

Above each square is the date they popped:

CcWt1Ry.jpg

2cQfZ9d.jpg

Back