• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HM01 2016

Where the hell is this year going?! It's the 25th already? Good gravy. I should probably get some seeds going. Here's what's going in the dirt today:

1.) Bonda ma Jaques
2.) Fatalii orange
3.) Habanero Antillais Caribbean
4.) Habanero giant chocolate
5.) Mako akoksrade
6.) Peach Congo
7.) PI 281317
8.) Scotch bonnet elysium oxide
9.) Scotch bonnet Foodarama red
10.) Scotch bonnet MOA
11.) Scotch bonnet P. Dreadie
12.) Scotch bonnet TFM
13.) Scotch bonnet x Brain
14.) 7pot burgundy
15.) 7pot Primo orange
16.) Bhut orange Copenhagen
17.) Burmese Naga

I decided to go easy on the OWs this year, so I only kept four from previous seasons. I have a wild Brazil (5 gal), a Bahamian goat (7.5 gal) and a fatalii x Red Savina :drooling: (7.5 gal) all from last year and one TS CARDI (7.5 gal) from two years ago. The CARDI buried me in pods last season - even in its small pot, it produced enough fruit to fill about 6 MFRBs. Deciding whether to pot it up (~20 gal) or stick it in a raised bed is going to be tough this spring! 
     I'm gonna go plant some stuff. I'll be back here in a minute. I know the drill - no pics, blah blah blah...
     Wohoo! The 2016 season starts here! :dance:

juanitos said:
yeeee boy

Booyakasha, right back atcha!  :cheers:

pepperguy1 said:
Nice list. :clap:

Thanks! It took me a while to put together, but I'm feel like I really have my chinense bases covered for this season.

mpicante said:
Very cool list.The best of luck this season.

Thank you. I need to double check, but I think I'll be growing a few I got from you in last season's seed train. So thanks for that, too!

tctenten said:
Great list!  Love all the Bonnet varieties you are starting.  Good luck.

Thanks, 1010. I'm really happy with the MOAs, SB7Js and Bahamian goats I grew last season, so I decided to double down in that department.

Genetikx said:
List is great, closest I've seen to my own. You have good taste my friend! Looking forward to the progression

Great minds think alike! In the coming weeks I'll be potting up my sprouts in my own organic soil (I'll post the recipe later) that I have cooking right now, and I'll be starting my annuums soon too so stay tuned. 

Photodumpster was being a butthole yesterday so I couldn't post any pics. I don't have many yet, but since I'm home sick today, I'll try to remember to take a few when I start a batch of compost tea later today. I'll get that soil recipe up too, in case anyone's curious. It smells awesome! (at least it did before my sinuses stopped working... stupid cold...)

Here's the growing area - same as I've used the past several years. Home-brew PVC "construction". I can fit three PermaNest trays and a row of 4" pots under it. Seedling starting mat is set at 75F.  The foam tagboard I use to cover it does a great job of keeping the light and heat in. The radio is bumping Radio Havana - a pepper seed planting tradition for me.  :D
IMG_0574_zpsk0yurwjv.jpg

Now it's time for a bowl of ramen with a dried Assam bhut pod crushed up in it. Take that, cold!  :flamethrower:

Wohoo! I founds some hooks today!

Habanero Antillais Caribbean
IMG_0575_zpsm0v5dy9s.jpg

Mako akoksrade
IMG_0576_zpsjwi5u5cn.jpg

Peach Congo
IMG_0577_zpsnjvtpon7.jpg

Scotch bonnet MOA
IMG_0579_zps3zz0sou2.jpg

Here's another Peach Congo that will probably be up and facing the "sun" in a few hours. I love this time of year. It's hard to believe this little guy will be covered in pods and have bark on its stem in about five months!
IMG_0578_zpsg3zbl2fr.jpg

I think I'm going to try inoculating their roots with some Great White in a bit. I figured I'd just scoop a tiny amount near the stem and water it in. The plugs I'm using are made of coco coir, so it seems to me the large particle size and high porosity should allow the inoculum to easily filter through and reach the roots. If you have experience using this product (or other mycorrhizal inoculum) for inoculating such a young age, let me know your experience. 
     Thanks for stopping in el jardin del dash-o dos!

Lovepeppers said:
Nice list bro.
I hope you have a bountiful 2016.

Thanks! With all that color, it should at least be beautuful!

mpicante said:
Always good to see 'HOOKS' !!!

You got that right! Here are some more...

Another MOA
IMG_0580_zps5baw9wtx.jpg

PI 281317
IMG_0581%201_zpsi6imsltb.jpg

I have one more to show off, but I'm going to save that for a different thread. :shh:

Lovepeppers said:
HMO1- is that coco coir your using for your grow medium?
It looks red, like the coir I've used.

Yup. First time I've used them (or any coir for that matter). So far I'm pretty impressed. 
     I'll be potting them up to either 4" or 6" plastic pots in the coming weeks. For that, I'll be using my own homemade stuff. (ProMix, perlite, organic nutrients and compost tea)

Plantguy76 said:
Nice list, pic's& progress wishing you the best this season ;)  

Thank you. Hopefully the upcoming list of annuums, baccatums, pubescens et al will pass inspection as well! I'll try to keep up on pics too. 

Here's a batch of EWC/nutrient tea I started bubbling Friday night.
IMG_0597_zpsctfqc779.jpg

I wanted to whip up a batch that would not only inoculate my seedling media with beneficial microbes, but also act as a dilute organic nutrient to start feeding my seedlings and OWs.
     I used one small handful of EWC, two handfuls of kelp granules, about 2 T. molasses and two small handfuls of humid acid. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with cold tap water, turned on my aquarium heater to 85F and aerated the water for about 24 hours.
     The next evening I added the other ingredients to the bucket, broke up lumps of EWC by hand and let it go until this afternoon.
IMG_0595_zpsdwqdcwts.jpg

This is the pump I've been using for the last few years. I got it on Amazon for about $30-35. It moves 7.2 metric shit tons of air per milliparsec. I usually have to keep the valve open about 1/4 or 1/3 or my tea ends up on the ceiling. I have been thinking about making a diffuser ring to go on the bottom of the bucket to better distribute the air, but I don't know if it's worth it. What are youz guyz' ideas?
IMG_0596_zpsjsnfsyax.jpg

Holy crap it's been a while. Just a quick update to show I'm still in the game this season. I had a big setback with my chinenses. The soil I mixed was way too hot and burned all my transplants. By the time I noticed it and repotted them, most of the damage was done. I think I killed about 2/3 of them and the rest have been set back a few months, but the ones that managed to survive my care look really good now!

My main grow area
IMG_0659_zps8yfw9nhj.jpg

My secondary sunlit area
IMG_0661_zpsxfov6q0f.jpg

Not much has changed in the main area this year, but I'm trying out something new in the bottom pic. More on that later. Hopefully I'll also have some pics of individual plants by the weekend. The garlic I planted in one of my raised beds has a lawn of shoots coming up and I also planted some onions, peas and lettuce outside. Maybe I'll have some pics of outdoor green soon, too! 
     I hope everybody's 2016 season is going better than mine has. More from el jardin del dash-o dos later!

Back