• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Setting sail towards Tiradito & Ceviche

This afternoon I began my maiden voyage ...

Made some cancha on the range, with a little peanut oil and garlic salt and FB's smoked rocoto ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453761383.931895.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453761317.383326.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453761395.105251.jpg

Then I decided I wanted some peeled/seeded cucumber, and more rocoto sauce ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762327.951537.jpg

Cancha on the side ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762348.952724.jpg

Mmm 'mmm ;)

But it was more filling that one might imagine!

I drained the juice off, and have it covered/on-ice, in the fridge ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762402.293711.jpg

Thegreenchilemonster said:
That looks awesome!
It's pretty tasty ... and I'm missing my aji pineapple pods right now! ...

I'll grab some plugs from juanitos again this spring ;)
SmokenFire said:
It looks great!  Did you like it enough to make again?
Yes. It was way better than the take-out 'ceviche' from the sushi place last week ...

I'll spend more time on the knife cuts next time, and probably will use the mandolin for the onion ...

Wow that looks good, grab some chips man and dig in... (do you have tortilla chips?)

SmokenFire said:
It looks great!  Did you like it enough to make again?
Yes. It was way better than the take-out 'ceviche' from the sushi place last week ...

I'll spend more time on the knife cuts next time, and probably will use the mandolin for the onion ...
The Hot Pepper said:
Wow that looks good, grab some chips man and dig in... (do you have tortilla chips?)
it's really good, but man - it's surprisingly filling! ...

i only researched the microbiological/handling the other night, not recipe formulation ...

i'll be getting into that next ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453763050.776237.jpg

It's worth reading this (see halibut):

http://honest-food.net/2014/09/15/ceviche-recipe-safety-parasites-2/

Well done Grant... looks great!!

You did a good job with the canchita.... did you like it on its own? (out of the ceviche?)

I have that cookbook.... its very good...

Tip for the onions.... after slicing them, heavily salt them then soak them in a bowl of cold water for 5-10 minutes, before draining and rinsing them..... makes them much milder....

Hope to see more of your ceviches 

Tinnie said:
Well done Grant... looks great!!

You did a good job with the canchita.... did you like it on its own? (out of the ceviche?)

I have that cookbook.... its very good...

Tip for the onions.... after slicing them, heavily salt them then soak them in a bowl of cold water for 5-10 minutes, before draining and rinsing them..... makes them much milder....

Hope to see more of your ceviches 
I did cold water soak the onion, but didn't salt it ...

Good tips!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453764513.640098.jpg

I figure I'll wrap it up bowl-by-bowl to see how it evolves over time tonight ...

It goes great w/ my latest beer ;)
Tinnie said:

yup ... the more roasted one's, in particular ...

the not-quite-there one's were a little chalky, and I don't like that texture in any food, ever ...

also ... dangerous bastards while cooking!

I bet that book has some good recipes. Gastón Acurio is the best and most well known chef in Peru. He had a show on Peruvian TV about ceviche. He travels around Peru finding local ingredients and recipes for ceviche, plus meeting local cevicheros along the way. There isn't any subtitles though so Spanish is a requirement to really get what's going on. I love watching him cook, he knows his stuff, and you can tell he really loves what he does.

I agree with Tinnie 100% on the onions, that is the best way to prep them for ceviche.

The Hot Pepper said:
What about buttermilk the onions? Takes the bite out and softens for onion rings and maybe the buttermilk would be a nice addition here? (don't shoot me........) (lol)

barf.  (in this application only)

Some Peruvian chefs put a little milk in with their ceviche, buttermilk probably wouldn't be much of a stretch to try out. I bet some buttermilk battered octopus or calamari would be awesome served on the side of a plate of ceviche as well.

Those hint of lime chips would probably be killer to scrape up some ceviche with!

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Some Peruvian chefs put a little milk in with their ceviche, buttermilk probably wouldn't be much of a stretch to try out. I bet some buttermilk battered octopus or calamari would be awesome served on the side of a plate of ceviche as well.

Those hint of lime chips would probably be killer to scrape up some ceviche with!

Yes in the video I posted I saw Peruvian chefs adding a little milk.
SmokenFire said:

barf.  (in this application only)

Boo. Watch the vid. It's interesting.

Back