• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting First ferment with Rehydrated peppers

So I had one last 1 Gallon jar with an airlock. I will say its a pain drilling through the plastic lids. Even with starting small and working up the bit size, they are brittle junk, but I digress. I was out and about picking up a few things and since there is a WF Market right by my house (albeit a crappy one) but I did find some dried bhuts from the new member AlamoPepper. I bought 4 jars, and when I opened them, the fruity pepper smell was intense and wonderful.

So I threw them into a measuring cup with a bottle of TX Riesling to re-hydrate. I added some New Mexico chili pods to add bulk and color, and rounded it out with Red Fresno, habanero, cherry peppers, I rounded that out with a purple onion and some Korean sea salt. This all went into the jar:

And turned into this, the day before yesterday:

There is more head space than I wanted in the jar, but with all the sugar in that wine, I am not too worried. If it makes it through, this is going to be one wildly good sauce.

Regardless of how the sauce turns out, I was so impressed with the quality of those peppers, I ordered some more today, in bulk. I reckon I'm gonna need a couple more carboys.

You need to check the rubber on the lid. :think: Hey, also you might want to check out Wicked Mike for some really good peppers.He grows them year round. ;) There are also a lot of other people here  that sell them too. :cheers: Best of luck on your first ferment.I  would go check out hot sauce making and ferment 101.Rocketman and Sasalady,Smokefire and Buddy(AKA) Terry have a lot going on in there. :party:

SmokenFire said:
The ingredients sound wonderful.  Let's trade bottles when it's done.   :)

Sounds good. Hit me up with a PM. I sent a few samples of my first 4 sauces to Johnsmyname in CT and he seemed to enjoy them. I really want to try, all there is to try. It will only serve to make my sauces better.
pepperguy1 said:
You need to check the rubber on the lid. :think: Hey, also you might want to check out Wicked Mike for some really good peppers.He grows them year round. ;) There are also a lot of other people here  that sell them too. :cheers: Best of luck on your first ferment.I  would go check out hot sauce making and ferment 101.Rocketman and Sasalady,Smokefire and Buddy(AKA) Terry have a lot going on in there. :party:

Thanks man. This wasn't my first ferment; just the first I fermented with rehydrated peppers in the mix. Totally agree though, I read those stickies start to finish before I joined the forum lol.

Back