• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

My first glog 2016

Hey all,
So i have followed other peoples glogs but never got around to doing one so i decided this is the year.  I think this is my 3rd year growing from seed and i have really enjoyed the ride and all of the help i have gotten here on THP.  I figured the least i can do is do a glog and maybe it will help some people, and i am sure i will get help from people along the way. I am not saying i will be the best at doing a lot of new pictures and updates, but i will certainly try to as often as possible.  I am trying a new setup this year.  The past couple of years i used a card table and had a pvc light stand with a couple of t8 double lights and using 1020 trays. That took up a lot of space and wasn't very good on the back. This year i have upped my game (hopefully  :P ) and gotten one of those shelf stands like you see at the big box stores that is 24" or so wide x 48" long and has adjustable shelves. I got it used for $30 at a online yard sale thing we have here so i felt like i got it for a good price.  So on one of the shelves i have my seedlings  and on the bottom of the stand i have a couple of my overwinters (og's).  The shelf with the seedlings has 3 sets (2 lights on each) of t8 fluorescent lights hanging from the top, heat mats, and a mini greenhouse for germinating.  The other shelves are used for storage of various things for my grow and hot sauce making and canning etc...  All of this is in my basement where it is fairly cool at around 64 degrees in the winter. I have the lights hooked up to a timer and the heat mats going through a thermostat and daisy chained together. The reflecting stuff is set up where i have it completely surrounding the grow space, but i can lift/move 2 sides of it for access very easily.  I also have a fan that is on a timer and is set for 15 to 30 minute intervals throughout the day.  I have several other overwinters and a lemon and lime (dwarf) tree upstairs in south facing windows. I started germination on January 13th with the chinenses and all but one have already germinated. I stared a few of the pubes and wilds a few days ago, none have popped yet.  The last couple of years i have used the peat pellets and they were okay, but after seeing a little on root riots i gave them a shot, so far so good.  Ok so i think i have covered the setup, below is a few pics of that and my grow list. Speaking of the grow list i need to go through my list and update who i got seeds from, i will do that soon. Thanks for looking, Brad.

2016 Grow List
Overwinters
Red Bhut Jalokia , Red Brain Strain, Red BBG7, Carolina Reaper
From Seed: 
Carolina Reaper (juanitos & hybrid mode)
Red Bhut jalokia
Red Brain Strain (Moruga Welder)
Red Jigsaw
Red Dorset Naga (Bp Willy)
Red BBG7 (SeaCowboy)
Red 7 Pot Jonah
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Pepperguy - pepperlover)
Bahamian Goat (SeaCowboy)
Red Fatali
Datil 
Chocolate Brain Strain
Chocolate Bhutlah
Chocolate BBG7
Chocolate Naga
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate 7 Pot (moruga welder)
White Bhut Jalokia
White Bullet Habanero
Chocolate Habanero
Red Caribbean Habanero (hybrid Mode)
Peru Bitdumi Rocotto (pepperlover)
Costa Rican Red
Manzano Red
Tepin
Piquin
Tobasco
Karum (fish pepper) (pepperlover)
Aleppo (pepperlover)
Matay (pepperlover)
Brazilian Starfish (Fiogga)
Biker Billy Jalapeno (tctenten)
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno
Cayenne mix
Island Hellfire Cayenne (Tctenten)
Cobra Cayenne
Red Thai
Prik Chi Faa (Hybrid Mode)
Hot banana
Christmas Baby
Black Prince
Coral Reef
Pepperoncini
Chinese 5 color (maybe?)

20160126_124618_zpsoywptwuw.jpg

20160126_124652_zpshiktjvfk.jpg

20160124_191623_zpseljnjfg0.jpg

Edit: I guess the ultimate goal is to end up with about 70 or so plants at plant out in May.  I will have about 10-20 extra to give away to friends and family.

Nice setup - best of luck!

Edit:  I just noticed we are using the same type of shelves, but mine are 19 x 60".  You got a good deal.  I wish mine were 24" wide ... 19" isn't a standard size for anything.  :mope:

Thanks all.
NeedsWork said:
Nice setup - best of luck!

Edit:  I just noticed we are using the same type of shelves, but mine are 19 x 60".  You got a good deal.  I wish mine were 24" wide ... 19" isn't a standard size for anything.  :mope:
Thanks I'm really liking this setup so much better so far. Seems like 19" would hang over the edge but would be doable.

parker49 said:
Thanks all.
Thanks I'm really liking this setup so much better so far. Seems like 19" would hang over the edge but would be doable.

Yeah, that is my problem.  Everything hangs over so I can't close the front up... or I waste a bunch of space.

Ok so this weekend i potted up most of the little ones that have sprouted into those little square shaped pots that a 1020 tray holds 18 of, dang i can't remember what they are called but you can see below. I got two 1020 trays done. You can see in the pic below that a few that wouldn't fit so i will wait till i get more for a third tray.  I can now bottom water these so hopefully that reduces the chance of dampening off.  Since there is a lot of room in these for roots for these small plants i imagine most of the growth will be below the soil for now.  Speaking of the soil i did promix and added about 25% worm castings.  This is the first time i have used the castings in the soil for the seedlings, but my plants really seemed to like the castings last year when i planted them out.  I wonder if this will delay the need to fertilize or not?  All i have for fertilizer right now is tomato tone, has anyone ever used this on seedlings, and yes i know not before at least a couple to 3 sets of true leaves?

This is my first year growing piquin and tepin, and they are taking longer than most of the others to germinate, is that normal? Should i soak some more seeds just in case?  I think i will probably start my annums in the in the next week or two.  I will be growing a lot of jalapenos (biker billy and mucho nacho) for pickling, cayennes for flakes and sauces, the wife loves hot bananas so those and several others that i got from Judy.  Not much else to report, i felt like a couple of my overwinters in the basement (the one in the back is the dwarf lime tree) needed some more light so i wanted another strip light (just a two foot) and most of what i could find required hard wiring so i actually found a short grow light pretty cheap to supplement the 2 foot t5 single light.  See the pic below. 

20160201_124323_zpsbqohs6vn.jpg

20160201_124334_zpsidt5cbay.jpg

Alright, got all my annuums planted yesterday after a 1 day soak. My goal was to keep the total number of plants around 75 or so.  That didn't happen, if i have a decent germination rate on my annums it will be more like 90. Still i plan to give quite a few away. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks i will have almost everything popped up.  Still haven't got my wilds (piquin and tepin) to sprout. Unfortunately those were the only seeds as i have been wanting to try them.  i haven't given up all hope, but it's been several weeks.  I will keep them in the green house and hope for the best.  

Can someone point to a website or post about the best way to pack live plants to ship, i may send some to a friend if it doesn't cost too much.

It's been awhile since i'v updated but things are going pretty well :dance: got some decent growth so far.  Not surprisingly the chinenses are getting really bushy and the others are growing taller .  I'm still waiting on a couple of hot banana peppers to pop that are for the wife and some family members.  Got a few of them but need a couple more, hopefully this week.  My datil, tepin, and pequin never germinated.  it has been a long time since those were planted not sure what the problem is but i guess i will try again next year.  I know i used all my seeds for the wilds, maybe i should try a different seed source for the datil.  Pics below and thanks for looking.

20160227_145300_zpsqywhjn6f.jpg

20160227_145328_zpskzdwks5j.jpg

20160227_145352_zpsinknorgj.jpg

oldsalty said:
Awesome looking grow my friend!!!! Wish you the best of luck through out the year! Will be looking in often. :)
Thanks salty, sounds like you are doing better and i'm glad to hear it.  Last i saw you weren't going to be able to grow any this year, still the case?

parker49 said:
Thanks salty, sounds like you are doing better and i'm glad to hear it.  Last i saw you weren't going to be able to grow any this year, still the case?
sadly my grow will be very small going to try 8 plants Heather is going to help im just trying to track down plants i want for the season just can't decide. Just have to be careful and hope for the best.
thanks Brother :)

Back