• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Kimchi

I didn't see a specific thread in here about the delicious dish that is kimchi, so I figured I would start one. I'm sure that there are some members on this forum with some really special recipes that they might want to share.

I made some kimchi tonight, since I got gifted a small batch wine kit from a friend for Christmas, and I now have a great new fermentation vessel.

Use 2 head of napa cabbage, korean raddishes, carrots, green onions, garlic, fish sauce, hot red pepper powder, carolina reaper powder, ginger powder, brown sugar, and rice flour.

Cut and salt the cabbage dry, and flip it every 30 minutes, soaking the cabbage in the saltwater that begins to accumulate at the bottom of the bowl. Do that for 2 hours, then rinse it 6 times with water to remove all of the salt.

Boil 2 tablespoons of rice flour with 2.5 cups of water, and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, until it becomes thick.

Dice up the carrots, green onions, and raddishes, then added them to a mixing bowl with 2.5 cups of red chile powder, and 2 tablespoons of Carolina Reaper powder.

Once cooled, put the rice flour sugar into a bkender with 4 cloves of garlic, and a tablespoon of ginger powder. Liquify it. Add that to the mixing bowl with the veggies and chile powder, and add 3/4 cup of fish sauce. Mix very thoroughly with your hands, and wear gloves!

Add the cabbage to the mix, and work it with your hands til everything is covered 100% with the sauce.

Put everything in jars/jugs with airlocks, and let ferment for 5 days in a dark place of the house. Put it in the fridge when it tastes to your liking, and eat it!

Attachments

• 20160126_181928.jpg
    20160126_181928.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 20160126_210712.jpg
    20160126_210712.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 133
  • 20160126_211751.jpg
    20160126_211751.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 128
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Let's go! I used a starter spoon of liquid from another batch of kimchi to get the ball rolling on this one. Obviously mine is super hot from the Reaper powder, just like I enjoy my kimchi!

I bought cabbage once to do it, and Danielle used the cabbage out from under me to make cabbage rolls ... LOL.

I'll buy a head of cabbage as well as a commercial batch in a jar from the grocer, to steal the cultures from ...

If you make your own sauerkraut, you can make your own kimchi! If you want to tone down the heat, use only one tablespoon of reaper powder, or none, but up the red chile powder by at least 1/2 cup to compensate. Every other ingredient is essential though.

interesting recipe with the rinsing and rice flour.  I've made kimchi lots of times and went to a fermented foods class last year. 
It's basically-
little salt on the cabbage for a few minutes to get the juice going,
mix in everything else and pack/pound it in the jar with a wood dowel or wood spoon
add some starter if desired
Cover it and let it work

a lot simpler than the OP recipe, but if that recipe works and you like, it's all good~
:)

I rinse well, because the fish sauce is so ridiculously salty. Without the rinse, and the addition of the fish sauce, the kimchi becomes too salty for my taste. I like your recipe too, sometimes simpler is better! Do you use fish sauce with your kimchi?

No fish sauce. Just what is posted for ingredients going back to the traditional kimchi ingredients.

I can see that adding fish sauce with the original salt would be overwhelming.

I'm not a kimchi expert at all. Just commenting.

Back