• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermented Habanero Sauce idea

Hi All!

I always wanted to make it. The simple habanero sauce made of
fermented pepper and salt mash, vinegar (I like apple vinegar),
and then aged on wood chips (apple wood or fancy french oak,
I don't know yet). 

The idea is to make a good quantity of undestructible, shelf stable,
almost never expiring sauce. Like Tabasco makes it.

Has anyone done something similar?

I have made fermented sauces and even wines & ciders before,
so fermentation is not the question.

The question is wood chips aging (what type, when, how much of it, how long?)
and proportion of  vinegar to make the sauce last.
What vinegar do you use yourselves?

Please share your exp!

Thank you.
Alex.

Hi Alex!

I have been wanting to do the same for awhile. I think the type of wood and duration would depend on a lot of things. Consider strength of wood flavor, toasting/charring and amount of char, and the flavors it might mingle with in the sauce itself.

Vinegar is the same way. For shelf stability shoot for < 4.0, but most of us home saucers go for < 3.5 to be safe. I think the commercial level is 4.2? Any way type of vinegar again is hugely dependant on the flavors you want to impart. Apple, wine, cane, white balsamic and other fruit vinegars are just some of the things to think about.

Experiment and enjoy! Let us know what you come up with.

P.S. If you have a specific ferment recipe in mind try asking for suggestions to get ideas.

Cheers,

John

Hi Alex.  A habanero & salt mash will ferment nicely.  You can then add vinegar till you're happy with taste/consistency and age on wood if you choose.  Choice of wood and aging time are unknowns to me as I've never done that.  Very interested in seeing it done though, so please do document with pics and share them here.  :)

i'd totally be into something like this! even without the wood.. I have heard of wooden oak cubes.. do they make different types of wood specifically for cooking? as a woodcarver, It'd be pretty fun to experiment..
Keep us updated on your progress!

Just finished cutting. Will keep you posted :-)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice looking peppers brother! I'd cut them up smaller or even better use a food processor to a rough chop consistency. Also invest in some air locks. They're pretty cheap on Amazon and will help A LOT with your success rates if you plan on doing more ferments.

AldenMiller said:
I've got something similar to this that is about six weeks into the ferment.  I used an assortment of peppers from my freezer (ghost, reaper, Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate Moruga.  Then I added toasted Hungarian Oak cubes, salt, and white labs lacto.  When done I will add some vinegar to taste.

-Alden

You're fermenting with the oak cubes in the ferment?  Will you cook this, or just blend the crap out of it and then add the vinegar to taste?  Interesting.

Thank you for replies folks!

Fermentation is going rapidly now. Bubbling well and smells like poop :-D
I have added some apple wood chips to it. Not too much, just a few.

WP_201.jpg

After it slows down, I am planning to taste test and maybe add the wood chips.

Then I'll place it under airlock to let the fermentation complete.

And then I will grind it (should I discard the liquid or use some of it?) and add vinegar. Apple vinegar I think.

portveyn said:
Thank you for replies folks!

Fermentation is going rapidly now. Bubbling well and smells like poop :-D
I have added some apple wood chips to it. Not too much, just a few.

WP_201.jpg

After it slows down, I am planning to taste test and maybe add the wood chips.

Then I'll place it under airlock to let the fermentation complete.

And then I will grind it (should I discard the liquid or use some of it?) and add vinegar. Apple vinegar I think.

I use all from my ferment...of course, mine doesn't have wood in it :)
portveyn said:
Do you guys ferment peppers in gallon water bottles?

polandsrping_gallon.jpg

Never have.  I am not a big fan of plastic.

portveyn said:
Do you guys ferment peppers in gallon water bottles?

polandsrping_gallon.jpg

For small batches and test runs I use 1/2 gallon mason jars.  For larger batches I have 2 & 5 gallon glass fermenters.  I use plastic fermenters for hard cider and beer, but those are smaller short run batches.  I would not ferment in plastic water bottles as I worry they'd burst under pressure. 

25898526_d8b9_496b_9d3d_3d1e64aa0800.jpg

Pureed everything (except wood chips) and put under
the airlock to finish fermenting. Used about half of the
liquid, and returned wood chips back to the mixture.
Now it will seat for a while.

pa1966stang,
it's was difficult to taste the apple wood at this point.
Will re-taste after fermentation's done and will let you know.
I'm afraid to add too much wood, but I want it to taste
aged at the end :P  We'll see.

SmokenFire said:

For small batches and test runs I use 1/2 gallon mason jars.  For larger batches I have 2 & 5 gallon glass fermenters.  I use plastic fermenters for hard cider and beer, but those are smaller short run batches.  I would not ferment in plastic water bottles as I worry they'd burst under pressure. 

I will let it finish for a week or so and then place into glass to age a bit longer.
Plastic is fine for a short term use, I agree.

I tried fermenting some habenerors and Datils, added onion and garlic to the brine and used a fermenting lid on a mason jar. After about 2 months I put them in a blender and puréed the mixture, then ran it through a chinois to filter. Was hoping to get something with the consistency of Tobasco sauce. However, after it sits for a while, it separates out so the microscopic pepper/garlic/onion pieces settle to the bottom and there is clear liquid on top. Any suggestions to fix this? Do I need to add Xantham gum or guar gum or something similar?

BB

BurninBob said:
I tried fermenting some habenerors and Datils, added onion and garlic to the brine and used a fermenting lid on a mason jar. After about 2 months I put them in a blender and puréed the mixture, then ran it through a chinois to filter. Was hoping to get something with the consistency of Tobasco sauce. However, after it sits for a while, it separates out so the microscopic pepper/garlic/onion pieces settle to the bottom and there is clear liquid on top. Any suggestions to fix this? Do I need to add Xantham gum or guar gum or something similar?
BB
You nailed it in your post with xantham/guar gum. Also cook the heck out of it and use a quality blender or immersion blender for longer than you think, then strain through a food mill.

There is a thread with a huge list of emulsifying agents, search for that to get ideas.

ETA: That thread is a sticky.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39383-natural-gums-info/

portveyn said:
Hi All!

I always wanted to make it. The simple habanero sauce made of
fermented pepper and salt mash, vinegar (I like apple vinegar),
and then aged on wood chips (apple wood or fancy french oak,
I don't know yet). 

The idea is to make a good quantity of undestructible, shelf stable,
almost never expiring sauce. Like Tabasco makes it.

Has anyone done something similar?

I have made fermented sauces and even wines & ciders before,
so fermentation is not the question.

The question is wood chips aging (what type, when, how much of it, how long?)
and proportion of  vinegar to make the sauce last.
What vinegar do you use yourselves?

Please share your exp!

Thank you.
Alex.
I wanted to add that the first fermented sauce I ever made used habanero peppers and I really liked it. I duplicated the recipe and actually bottled it the day before yesterday. Johnsmhname has tried it and can give you his opinion. If you want I can send you a bottle.

Back