• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review AlamoPepper Product Review

Ok so this is my review of Alamo Peppers. I think they were formerly bhutjolokia.net
Either way, here we go. I welcomed and contacted them, and I checked out their website. I made an order. There were peppers I wanted. I had sampled some of their Bhuts from Whole Foods. I made a sauce from their rehydrated bhuts and I reckon it will be good.

Anyways I bought some peppers from their site. I bought a pound of Moruga chocolate, a pound of Moruga yellow, and a few ounces of Jay's Ghost peach. (I think I got the names right). Also I expressed an interest in Carolina Reapers. So....

We had a shipping snafu. Fedex in their usual fashion got the address wrong and my peppers were 3 days late. Luckily they were dried. Mark was awesome. He called me numerous times per day, he called Fedex, and he was just as unhappy as me with the delayed delivery.

He sent me some reapers too that I didn't pay for, to show me the difference between his, and the asian ones. So, lets see if we can sort out some pics:

First the comparison. His are on the left, the Asian ones are on the right. I haven't tasted them yet or made sauce but in this case I think the pic tells all

These are the Jay's Bhut Jolokia. I think I heard the term peach bandied about somewhere. They look good, smelled great, tasted great, and set my mouth on fire as expected. I used the entire pouch (6 ounces dried I thing) to make sauce. More to come on that front. Mark said the seeds weren't viable but I will try them anyways so here we go:

Now we come to the Moruga Yellow's and the Moruga chocolates. Both bags contained large, nice peppers. My only complaint is they were TOO dry. Yes I rehydrated them so its not a huge deal but I like a little give when I cut them and these things turned to dust. The flavor however was spot on, exactly what I'd expected and wanted. I will test the seeds for viability as well.

Moruga Chocolates

Moruga Yellow

All in all I am quite pleased. I give this seller an 8/10. My only complaint is that the peppers were TOO dry. Also if they are non irradiated, I don't understand how the seeds can't be viable, which is why I am going to try growing them. Either way, I WILL be buying from these guys again. Their product is solid, reasonably priced, ships fast and the customer service is unsurpassed.

Redeemer said:
Also if they are non irradiated, I don't understand how the seeds can't be viable, which is why I am going to try growing them.

If the pods were dried at a high enough temperature the seeds will not be viable.  If you have your heart set on plants I'd suggest ordering seeds from one of the reputable THP vendors. 

NeedsWork said:

If the pods were dried at a high enough temperature the seeds will not be viable.  If you have your heart set on plants I'd suggest ordering seeds from one of the reputable THP vendors. 

You're probably right, and I do plan on doing so. I just have so many available starter trays I figured it was worth a shot.

A lot of thoses seeds could be hybridized... you may not know for months. If the grower produced a harvest of scorpions, reapers and bhuts in the same area, you'd have many seedlings that will not breed true.

If this guy also sells seeds, buy some from him... he's clearly nice to his clients!
Failing that, review the Vendor's Vault forum. Pepperlover, Semillas, Buckeye and others offer some pretty good merchandise.

My own 2 cents.

Those were nice pictures! Something about that burgeoning bag of yellow ones looked awfully nice!!

Many thanks for the review. The reason we purposely dry them to <5% moisture is to maintain shelf life, and flavor profile. Zero spoilage. This is intentional. Right now while the humidity is low the moisture is not a problem. Plus we store them at below 48% humidity to also limit the humidity from becoming a problem. If you do need viable seeds, we do have them available. Our seeds are completely isolated and there is not much chance of cross pollenation. I have instrusted our staff to pay close attention to this as this is what we do for a living. When ordering in the future, we only ask for a couple of extra days to allow us to adjust the humidity up, as to give them more flexibility. We do take great pride in what we produce. That is why we follow such strict guidelines throughout our entire process of our crops. We realize there are many with the same items. But as you can see from the Reapers, we process at a higher level which yields us beautiful, and more pungent results. Thanks for the great feedback!

Peppers that are irradiated are done so for sterilization, and ridding pests. Being vendors for WF Markets, this practice is not allowed. We heat/steam our's to maintain our standards, as we never treat any of our products with radiation, ETO, ethyoxyquin. (used to help maintain color profile) Also, ETO is banned by most countries, and the EU which they deem unsafe. We are 100% chemical free.

Best,

Alamo Peppers

Hey thanks for sharing about Alamo. I have not tried to buy from them yet, but am aware of them and figured I would try them out sooner or later. 

Back