• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Buffalo Wild Wings, thoughts on blazin sauce.

So most of you have probably tried the hottest level of wing sauce BWW has, "Blazin". Apparently you have to sign a waiver form for the competition.  If you can eat 12 wings in 6 minutes I think it is. No drinks, napkins, etc you get your photo on the wall, maybe a shirt I think. You know, 5 minutes of fame.

Well, really I think that challenge could step it up a few notches.  Yes, the wings are hot. However, waiver forms, clapping hands, photos, and a shirt should require a tougher challenge! 

I order blazin wings as an appetizer to my main entree...which usually ends up being doused with a good ghost sauce.  

I don't know what it is but most their sauces wreck my stomach. Which isn't saying much considering my delicate constitution. I do like the caribbean jerk though. It's been a long while since I ate there. 

AldenMiller said:
I used to like their blazing sauce until they reformulated it.  Now I don't like the flavor.  I used to order them by the dozen.  Now I'll pass.

Same here. I used to buy the old Blazin by the bottle for pizza at home. The new recipe is less flavorful, almost like they tried to increase the heat level while sacrificing flavor.

Tried BWW once. Wasn't impressed. I like a little crisp to the wings. Wings seemed soggy. Couldn't taste any heat in the blazin. Haven't been back. Maybe I got a bad batch.

D3monic said:
I don't know what it is but most their sauces wreck my stomach. Which isn't saying much considering my delicate constitution. I do like the caribbean jerk though. It's been a long while since I ate there. 

It aint the sauce, its the fryers are nasty IMO.  My stomach gets destroyed(well lets be honest, its my colon) very quickly after I eat there no matter what sauce I get.  I can eat wings anywhere else and be good to go, but BW's wrecks my guts.

CAPCOM said:
Cheap sauce at best. Even with my lower tolerance, the sauce was not that hot. I would have done the challenge just to show off but way too much salt in it.

The salt in the blazin' sauce is my limiting factor too. I wish they made their mango hab sauce about twice as hot as their blazin'. Then they'd have a winner. Or at least something better.

It's definitely hot. But I agree with the others that is just not very good. I'm all for heat, but the flavor has to be good otherwise there is no point. Even they're mango Hab sauce isn't that great.
I always get the Carribean Jerk sauce and the Asian zing. They taste great and the CarJerk has decent heat. Lol funny thing is I remember when the jerk sauce used to light me up. I've come a long way on tolerance.

Ozzy2001 said:
It's definitely hot. But I agree with the others that is just not very good. I'm all for heat, but the flavor has to be good otherwise there is no point. Even they're mango Hab sauce isn't that great.
I always get the Carribean Jerk sauce and the Asian zing. They taste great and the CarJerk has decent heat. Lol funny thing is I remember when the jerk sauce used to light me up. I've come a long way on tolerance.

I eat the same two ... the jerk and the asian are the only two that i like at all ...

I think the hottest incarnation of the buffalo-style sauce is the hottest one, not the blazin', personally ...

Haven't had them since getting into peppers, but used to like them beforehand, and they were definitely gateway for me ...

grantmichaels said:

I eat the same two ... the jerk and the asian are the only two that i like at all ...

I think the hottest incarnation of the buffalo-style sauce is the hottest one, not the blazin', personally ...

Haven't had them since getting into peppers, but used to like them beforehand, and they were definitely gateway for me ...

I eat the same 2 sauces as well.  I do also like their Spicy Garlic.   But the next day I need to have nothing to do because it absolutely destroys my stomach.  I see it doesn't agree with others as well.  I thought it was just me.  BTW,  I think the boneless are better than the traditional.

I am thinking about trying the 12 wing challenge just to get the shirt. The sauce doesn't taste very good, but I believe I can eat it fast enough.

Yes. The Blazin Wings Challenge. The faster the time you eat the wings within 6 minutes, the better. No drinks and no wiping your mouth. It sounded like I have to pay for the wings up front. It is just Blazin sauce, and it is supposed to have ghost pepper in it. I didn't do it last time because I was in the mood for real food, not wings.

Ozzy2001 said:
I didn't even realize they had a challenge. Is it just their Blazin sauce?

Yeah. They make a big deal about it. I mean its spicy dont get me wrong, but its not IMO worthy of the outcome with the picture on the wall or the other stuff whatever it is. They could kick it up a little, but like others have mentioned there are better wings out there.

Sauce is hot but not killer, the flavor sucks and is really underwhelming. There is something about the smell too, maybe too much vinegar.

Yeah, I got a cup of the sauce last time we went. It has heat, but as others said, the flavor is meh. It is better than it used to be.

Back