• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Hot sauce with THC

Tonight I wondered about the combination of medical marijuana (and rec) and THC in states that have approved it. Sure enough there are a few out there. That is a rapidly growing market. Could be something where hot sauce creators sell their sauce to dispensaries and they add their magic to the sauce.  I Guess there are a few ways of going about it. 

http://www.hailmaryjane.com/budhead-hot-sauce-marijuana-hot-sauce/

I also saw some recipes for a cannabis wing sauce. 

sriarcha.jpg

cali-fresh-infusions@2x-620x400.jpg

Not recommended for external application when treating rectal cancer. #feelthebern
Ganja mama jamaican jerk sauce is a great title

Idiot Piquant said:
Was only a matter of time.  Medicinal hot sauce, love it! 

Thanks for the new-to-me metal, Sizzle. 
You welcome.......High on Fire ......makes me happy. :dance:

In regards to making recreational edibles in WA....
The processor has to have a completely separate and secure kitchen facility that meets all WSDA regulations for a commercial kitchen, no co-mingling.  In other words, I can't use my exisitng kitchen to make cannabis products and regular hot sauces.  It has to be one or the other.  If it is a cannabis kitchen, it has to be completely secure and locked at all times, trackable locks on the doors, complete 100% video coverage of every inch of the kitchen (no dark spots), all points of entry have to have video inside and out. 

All the products have to be tested for THC content and there are strict limits as to how much can be in an item.  Which means...you can't just make a batch of canna-butter and then whip up some brownies.  The cannabutter has to be tested for THC content and then the batch adjusted accordingly with regular butter so as to not exceed THC content.  Which means, every batch of butter has to be sent to the lab.....

I suppose one could buy some kind of THC extract with a given THC content, and then use that in hot sauce.  Never tried it, but it obviously works somehow.

I think regs for medical products are a LOT looser or non-existent as those products go through private dispensaries with minimal oversight. 

Oh, and once the product is made it has to be stored under lock and key, and it also has to be transported in a lockable container/footlocker/whatever that is permanently fastened to the vehicle.  :rolleyes:

Pex~ make sure you know what is required.  It's pretty expensive to get set up. No shared use/community kitchen, LCB licensing is at least $1000 if WA is even accepting new applications (I don't think they are).

JeffH--- :rofl:  crack me up!

Wow good information. I definitely see a growing market for this kind of hot sauce. I think it could definitely be a trend that brings a lot more people to the world of hot peppers.  With more and more states adopting new approaches to the product its definitely going to trend. The $$$$ will be good.  

Hot candies might be a good seller.  

Here is another thing that you do not hear a lot more about (and there is a link to the video on my profile). The cancer fighting powers of Capsaicin.  Many users of medical marijuana are dealing with pain symptoms from cancer.  Combining medical marijuana with cancer fighting heat could be a big selling aspect.  I have always wondered if the medical benefits of hot peppers could push sales if done correctly.  

coldsmoke- If you don't mind my asking, what form is the cannabis in when it goes into the sauce?  I'm assuming it's decarbed....ALTHOUGH!!!!  I can see it going into the sauce non-carbed, then thecooking process would decarb it.

Hmmmmmm!!!!!  Might be something to play around with.......

throw it in there with the other solids of the sauce...that de-carbs it. Another thing that would work is if you used added some glycerol based tincure in the sauce at the end of the cook. 

I was thinking of a tincture.  Soak non-carbed product in alcohol, add to the sauce, cook it up~

I was approached by a dispensary in my 1st year - they asked if I'd be willing to make a thc-laden sauce.

I declined, as I figured it would be a regulatory nightmare.

SL's post would seem to confirm this.

Ps - there's also the significant liability if someone who's not a patient mistook it for "regular" hot sauce and was sickened by it.

The liability alone makes it not worth doing it.

Yeah, someone could conceivably make $ with it as a novelty, but the issue is that it's not great for treating patients because of the wildly varying heat tolerance. So you'd have to make it mild enough for anyone to be able to use it. And the problem there is that most folks going through chemotherapy have damaged taste buds and don't perceive flavor well, but are extremely sensitive to spice. 

I've heard that countless times. Making this idea about the worst possible combination for this application. 

And most folks who use edibles use the gummies or brownies/cookies. Unfortunately I know several women being treated for breast cancer now, and they're all using edibles or smoking because the meds they prescribe have 5X the side effects and 1/2 the efficacy. 

A condiment is not well suited - often medicinal users are struggling with nausea and use pot to help fight that and also stimulate appetite. So if it's a condiment, fails to do either since it has to be put on food, which they don't want until they've treated the symptoms. Catch-22.

Then there's dosage control, which is incredibly important. Each drop will have to be exactly the same content, and that has to be an exactly measured amount of THC. Coke bottle gummies are 75 mg each, for example.

Pouring hot sauce would seem to be an inexact measure.

I see this as a very expensive to start up, and very risky novelty item that won't really satisfy any need other than recreational use.That, to me, smacks of capitalizing on sick people - because you wouldn't in good conscience be able to say you're making medicine since cancer patients likely won't use it for the reasons above.  The target market will pretty much be regular old stoners, but you'd be making it under medicinal marijuana laws for dispensaries.

You can tell I've put a little thought into this.

Idiot Piquant said:
Not ideal for most sick people. True.
Stoners gonna stone.
I don't judge the stoners - but it seems shady to make a "medicine" that you know sick people won't use.

And if it's scrutinized and discovered that only recreational users are consuming it, it could lead to greater regulation that could make it harder for sick people to get the medication they need.

So while I agree its great to see the decriminalization of marijuana, I'd hate to see greedy opportunism lead to a tightening of the reins.

Totally agreed. Discreet dosages are critical for MMJ.

I used the term medicinal too lightly upthread. I see these thc hot sauces as totally novelty products for the RecX market.

I do refer to reefer as psychosocial medicine. Don't gotta be really ill to benefit from it. That being said, today marks the end of my first unstoned week in about seven years.

The regs I quoted are for licensed recreational processors in WA.  The link to the hot sauce in the OP looks like a sauce that was not made with state or other oversight from a food agency.  The label and everythign looks like it is medicinal compliant, but not food agency compliant.  Could be wrong....?

Like Scott said, I don't see hot sauce being a good medical item.  Recreational novelty?  Yea~

Back