• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Did I get the yeasty?

This was made on Jan 18th, and pictures are from Feb 3, 16 days in.
Not sure when first signs of white appeared.

Looks good...

Noooooo

Little colonies pop up surrounded by bubbles. 
Doesn't look like mold..

Need a macro lens..

To the best of my knowledge, which could be skewed, wont shaking it put it inside the active ferment, thereby killing it with the beneficial bacteria?

I'd shake the hell out of it.

I don't advise shaking.  I've shaken a bit of kahm into my ferment before thinking the same thing and it seemed the whole batch had a slight off taste.  Run till yer done then scrape it and process as normal.  :)  

This is one of the reasons I like to use a brine.....My mash is weighed down and 1 inch of cover....never an issue with kahm yeast or mold.

Cool.  Maybe a brine would be good next time on the top.
Unless it sinks down.  I imagine the sauce can soak up some brine before you can saturate it?

I thought those jars you could just let be clamped and the pressure escapes naturally since it isn't a hard clamp.  I worried the same thing..

total noobsauce said:
Cool.  Maybe a brine would be good next time on the top.
Unless it sinks down.  I imagine the sauce can soak up some brine before you can saturate it?

Not going to happen ...if anything the salt brine will pull more liquid out.....just leave proper head space so your air locks dont get clogged up.
IMG_2365.jpg

Turned out well and I didn't die from eating it.
pH 3.5, tastes like ginger and is pretty tangy, probably from the grapefruit.

Bnut Squash (1)
Garlic cloves
Ginger Root Whole
Long green pepper (4)
Mango (1)
Celery
Honey
2yellow. 3red peps.  brain strain / 7 pod / trinidad, who knows.
Grapefruit unroasted (1)
1L of 2% saltwater added post ferment
Was still too thick, should have done 2L at least.

Pureed post ferment, then pureed again post simmer.
Food milled on largest disc and then smallest.
Nice and smooth.

typos on the label...is ok though

Back