• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

frutescens Hot Frutescense with only few seeds

Im in search of a hot and small frutescense variety that is not seedy.

I like to dry small peppers and eat them like a snack, but i hate seedy or bitter ones.

So far i found the donni sali, but i want to grow 1 or 2 more.

Can someone recommend any? Of couse they should also have a nice, not bitter taste  ;)

I saw you were on the small pea pepper thread.  Did you get any ideas from that discussion?  Sometimes mentioned along with the donne sali is the Aji Chuncho.  A pepper from Peru and was grown during a recent THP "grow down."  It has a little different shape than the donne sali and good flavor.  The plant gets rather large so that might be a consideration to you.  Tree like in size.  Others maybe the malagueta, ndungu or guam boonies.  Check them out.

chiltepin said:
I saw you were on the small pea pepper thread.  Did you get any ideas from that discussion?  Sometimes mentioned along with the donne sali is the Aji Chuncho.  A pepper from Peru and was grown during a recent THP "grow down."  It has a little different shape than the donne sali and good flavor.  The plant gets rather large so that might be a consideration to you.  Tree like in size.  Others maybe the malagueta, ndungu or guam boonies.  Check them out.

Thank for you tips.  Sadly the "Guam Boonie" and "AJi Chunco" have a lot of seeds. Do you know if "Malagueta" has many seeds too?

Yes, the Malagueta pods I tried had a fair number of seeds for such little pods. Think "bird pepper" and you get the general idea. They had a decent punch for a little pod though, and I didn't really notice any bitter taste from the seeds.

Piri Piri is sort of commercial standard for whole dried pods down here, nice punch and flavor.
If you want something hotter Lotah Bih and Hijo Puta Madre are awesome.
Another one i can recommend for a change (very nice plant and hardy variety) is Duke Pequin.
Considering the dimension of pods, many of the small frutescens tend to be seedy, but the excellent flavor of all those i've mentioned overcomes the problem imho. They also make wonderful powders (you can grind them whole).

Cya

Datil

Datil said:
Piri Piri is sort of commercial standard for whole dried pods down here, nice punch and flavor.
If you want something hotter Lotah Bih and Hijo Puta Madre are awesome.
Another one i can recommend for a change (very nice plant and hardy variety) is Duke Pequin.
Considering the dimension of pods, many of the small frutescens tend to be seedy, but the excellent flavor of all those i've mentioned overcomes the problem imho. They also make wonderful powders (you can grind them whole).

Cya

Datil

Well if you can turn the whole fruits into a powder, they cant be that bitter :-)  
That was absolutely impossible with my "chacoense", it tasted extremly nasty and bitter.

Zackorz said:
Im in search of a hot and small frutescense variety that is not seedy.

I like to dry small peppers and eat them like a snack, but i hate seedy or bitter ones.

So far i found the donni sali, but i want to grow 1 or 2 more.

Can someone recommend any? Of couse they should also have a nice, not bitter taste  ;)
I had in 2014 season a pepper which I think is Wild Lombok. The seeds I got were labeled simply Lombok. I found a lot about Lombok pepper, an annuum, longer than what I had on my plants. And I found this: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/84204/ where it says is under 2" in length. I told myself, probably my pepper was in fact Wild Lombok.
If I remember right, the seeds were from az1000.
If you need some, lemme know.

rghm1u20 said:
I had in 2014 season a pepper which I think is Wild Lombok. The seeds I got were labeled simply Lombok. I found a lot about Lombok pepper, an annuum, longer than what I had on my plants. And I found this: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/84204/ where it says is under 2" in length. I told myself, probably my pepper was in fact Wild Lombok.
seems interesting, how was the taste?

He send me some extra seeds of a red pepper that was about 4 cm long when we made a "seeds-trade". I will ask him if thats the one you mentioned. 

But he said it would be an anuum

rghm1u20 said:
I remember the Lombok but is not from me.
You got it from another source.

az1000 said:
I remember the Lombok but is not from me.
You got it from another source.
I know now, I ordered the seeds from a Romanian site:  http://semintelegume.shopmania.biz/cumpara/seminte-ardei-iute-lombok-7569751
They call it Lombok, but as I told before, I think in fact this is Wild Lombok. They also say is a frutescens.

@Zackorz: sorry, don't remember exactly the taste now... What I can tell you, is I want to grow it again this year (it was on my list already).

rghm1u20 said:
I know now, I ordered the seeds from a Romanian site:  http://semintelegume.shopmania.biz/cumpara/seminte-ardei-iute-lombok-7569751
They call it Lombok, but as I told before, I think in fact this is Wild Lombok. They also say is a frutescens.

@Zackorz: sorry, don't remember exactly the taste now... What I can tell you, is I want to grow it again this year (it was on my list already).

The varietie looks beautiful with his "color stages". So i would be interested in some seeds.  Are you looking for something in special (hot, mild, anuum, chinense, wild)?

rghm1u20 said:
I am looking for few acres of land :rofl:
PM me your address.

I have some, but no water there and its too far to go there every day 

So i suffer the same, and always have to reduce my planned chili numbers :-/

Zackorz said:

I have some, but no water there and its too far to go there every day 

So i suffer the same, and always have to reduce my planned chili numbers :-/
Don't tell me you bought few acres on the Moon! :confused:

Back