• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Has anyone eaten a Ghost pepper (or equivilant) at once?

Ever see the Youtube videos of people eating a whole Ghost Pepper? Dried or freshly picked it looks intense. If so, what did you experience? I have only cooked with Ghost Peppers, never raw.

The closest I have come is chopping up a ghost pepper and putting it in a bowl of food. I have even put in two ghost peppers in a single serving. I just didn't eat the pepper all at once.

I've eaten quite a few fresh superhots. What can I say? It burns yer face off, then you get a nice lil' buzz, then you get cap cramps, then you shitfire, then you ask yourself, WHY?? Then repeat because you're a pepper addict. And hope you don't touch yer gens with yer pepper mits like last time.

An entire dried pod tastes like a decent size slice but the heat builds to a higher level and lasts longer.  The flavor doesn't change, if anything it gets washed out by the heat.

I prefer them with food:

IMG_12741_zpsxvcp0v5w.jpg

I always just cook with them and really enjoy them that way, but this season I really want to force myself to eat a super hot stuffed with some good cheese and slow roasted over coals.  I once tried it with a habanero and the flavor was unreal... but the pain equally unbelievable... and the next day was god awful. :onfire:  

I've done a Carolina Reaper (small pod) a Butch T Scorpion and a 7 Pod Barrackapore, they were my hottest fresh pods... Each time it was 7-15 minutes of tears, hiccups, nose running, mouth watering pain.. With moments of milk induced respite. At the end of each incident the feeling of relief when the pain finaly passes is very satisfying lol ..

I've had a whole ghost shredded into curry numerous times and eaten the whole thing. Not too easy but not unpleasant and sits fine in the stomach.
Dried ghost on its own is a little more extreme, only eddible in bits IMO and I wouldn't touch fresh again. Anything but the very tip has the ghost juice flowing freely into your mouth and that ain't pleasant, atleast not for me.
Dried Reaper and Scorpion require a little smaller bits than Ghost but the former is definitely worth eating, the flavour's one of the best.

I've been dared to eat superhots whole but I'm smart enough to know my limits.

I've eaten a whole pod off of every type of chile plant I've grown. This includes Reapers, Bhuts, Habs, Rocoto, Primos, etc. It hurts, but I like to get the full experience of the heat and flavor profile of what I'm growing. This helps me figure out what dishes they would be good to cook with. Am I looking forward to eating a whole freshly picked Chocolate Bhutlah and Chocolate Brainstrain this summer? Not really, but it will be a good experience, and it will give me a good idea on what woods to smoke them with, and what dried powder blends might work with them.

I've done it. I was in pain.
Maybe I'll do it again ;)

No really. It's cool to see what you're growing. But it sure is more pleasant to cook with than eat whole.

Pretty much +2 on Hogleg. I don't normally eat entire peppers, but I have done it from time to time. I can't get a good test with a whole pod. I test smaller and equal sized parts of pods so I can get a good, complete taste of them, and I can get a good heat comparison without eating an entire pepper. I test peppers from every plant I grow, so I do a lot of testing.
I try to prepare myself before I eat a larger amount of pepper material. The best tip I got here at THP years ago was eating bananas before and after pepper eating. I haven't had bad cap cramps in general. At our hot pepper nights we have banana milkshakes on hand. One night I ate about 8 fried Moruga scorpions, and the next day, I felt like hell, was really queezy feeling (of course the alcohol didn't help either), but at least it didn't burn, and that is a wonderful thing!

I remember all the hype when the Ghost pepper was just a rumor from India, and I have to admit I didnt believe there was a pepper with a heat rating of more than 3 times the Red savina. When it was finally confirmed, I sought out seeds for it. Somehow I ended up going with the Naga Morich instead. It was almost a unknown at the time, but I gave it a chance and it grew out quite well. Long story short, I remember trying this for the first time. I made the mistake of taking a ripe one and eating about 3 quarters of it, seeds and all to see what the hype was all about. Yeah, it kicked the shit out of me, and was my first iniciation into supers. I suffered it out, and remembered the high I got during and after the pain. I ended up being knocked out like I had smoked some hardcore indica for the first time, and slept quite well that night. It did though make it easier in the future for me to tolerate these, but I became much more cautious, lol about just trying something as hot as this.

I take whole dried pods and crush them by hand over my food, so I guess yes, I eat whole pods, but in/on food.

Back in 2007/2008 when the Ghost was being shared around I got some seeds from my friend Chris, (cmpman1972) and grew them out for the first time and popped a whole one in my mouth, I thought I would loose my mojo, as my mouth just kept burning.
Since then I've eaten Butch T's, Brain Strains, Moruga and Primo's, but just small pieces and turned many varieties into some very hot but tasty powder that I use on a lot of things. now that I'm 63 I take it easy with the super hots and mainly use them in hot powder mixes, so I don't in up on the floor.
This year I'm growing the C. Reaper, Brown Moruga and the Chocolate Borg 9, I will try some small pieces and make powders out of most of them.  

Back