19 replies to this topic

#1 SvtCobra

SvtCobra

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:05 AM

Very Excited for this pheno! I have seen the Golden Bhut before from a few growers in Texas. Very prolific and the pods are beautiful. I sprouted two of them for the 2016 season and they are off and running.

Golden Bhut Jolokia

hpTIQnM.png

#2 mpicante

mpicante

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,382 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:56 AM

I havent had the opportunity to see a Golden Bhut pod yet but i must say your plants look great

Edited by mpicante, 05 February 2016 - 09:11 AM.

#3 Peter S

Peter S

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:56 AM

Those look nice!

#4 jedisushi06

jedisushi06

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts
  • aka:Mikey or Sushi Mike

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:37 AM

i know the guy who discovered it growing in his garden.  But iv'e never grown it.  Your plants look great.

#5 SvtCobra

SvtCobra

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

I havent had the opportunity to see a Golden Bhut pod yet but i must say your plants look great

Thanks! Check out https://www.youtube....h?v=VYlOgcdM3IU. This is a video from Bishop Brad on the Golden Bhut.

Those look nice!

Thank You.

i know the guy who discovered it growing in his garden.  But iv'e never grown it.  Your plants look great.

Thanks!

#6 Mene

Mene

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

What do the pods look like? Any photos?

#7 Topsmoke

Topsmoke

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:15 PM

Ive seen these in a bunch of this years seed catalogs, they all looked like a cross between an Aji lemon and a ghost to me. 

http://www.territori.../product/ypp714

http://www.johnnysee...lden-ghost.aspx

funny thing is Bakercreek seeds is only heirloom, and Johnny's says its an F1 hybrid. So there must be a number of "golden Ghosts" out there, cause neither look like the one in the vid.

#8 SvtCobra

SvtCobra

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:54 AM

Ive seen these in a bunch of this years seed catalogs, they all looked like a cross between an Aji lemon and a ghost to me. 

http://www.territori.../product/ypp714

http://www.johnnysee...lden-ghost.aspx

funny thing is Bakercreek seeds is only heirloom, and Johnny's says its an F1 hybrid. So there must be a number of "golden Ghosts" out there, cause neither look like the one in the vid.

The pods they are selling seed from are yellow. Not even close to gold. The one in the video is the color mine will turn.

What do the pods look like? Any photos?

I don't have any photos. Watch the link to the video I posted above to see what it will look like.

#9 pa1966stang

pa1966stang

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • aka:Tim

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:36 AM

Beautiful looking pod, but that video...agg I thought I was going to have an epileptic seizure. 

I've grown a few things before, but peppers are the new obsession

#10 SvtCobra

SvtCobra

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

Beautiful looking pod, but that video...agg I thought I was going to have an epileptic seizure. 

Yes! Sadly it was the only video I could find on the Golden Bhut. There just is not much info about it out there yet.

#11 spicefreak

spicefreak

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:05 AM

Still, it's a beautiful pepper, just like its red counterpart and nothing like that silky smooth yellow "ghost".

#12 KrakenPeppers

KrakenPeppers

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • aka:The Kraken

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:40 AM

Bishop Brads Bhuts look like a Yellow Bhut / Douglah cross or similar, to keep it so yellow gnarly and pimply it's got something in it .. It's also got some mustard in its colouring by the look of it ..

" :mouthonfire:  TKP Peppers make me go Super Saiyan   :mouthonfire: "

#13 Topsmoke

Topsmoke

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

The pods they are selling seed from are yellow. Not even close to gold. The one in the video is the color mine will turn.

was wondering about that, How do you quantify the difference between yellow and golden? I guess youll see. 

#14 mpicante

mpicante

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,382 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:46 PM

I guess ill have to order some pods this season and try 'em out

#15 hottoddy

hottoddy

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:01 PM

Cool. I don't know about "golden", but yellow is one of the known natural bhut jolokia variants. It's not as common though, and often reverts back to red again. I had some yellows show up last year from red seed. I've got some yellow F2s sprouting right now and hope they keep their color.

Hottoddy Pepper Co. - Please visit the site and "like" my FB page!

#16 SvtCobra

SvtCobra

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:15 AM

was wondering about that, How do you quantify the difference between yellow and golden? I guess youll see. 

In the same way you can tell the difference between a mustard bhut and a yellow bhut. Or the difference between a caramel bhut and a chocolate bhut. It's close but just not the same. To me I can clearly see a difference when I see the video.

Cool. I don't know about "golden", but yellow is one of the known natural bhut jolokia variants. It's not as common though, and often reverts back to red again. I had some yellows show up last year from red seed. I've got some yellow F2s sprouting right now and hope they keep their color.

That's crazy. I have never had a yellow bhut go red or vice versa. Or a chocolate go caramel.

#17 hottoddy

hottoddy

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:56 AM

That's crazy. I have never had a yellow bhut go red or vice versa. Or a chocolate go caramel.

To clarify, I meant holding their color in subsequent generations. The yellow bhut is supposedly difficult to stabilize in that color.

Hottoddy Pepper Co. - Please visit the site and "like" my FB page!

#18 SvtCobra

SvtCobra

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:25 AM

To clarify, I meant holding their color in subsequent generations. The yellow bhut is supposedly difficult to stabilize in that color.

I have gone a couple seasons with yellow's holding up using seeds harvested from the parent plant. The yellows I am excited for this year I actually got from you, MOA Bonnet. My 2 bonnets are looking very nice.

#19 Topsmoke

Topsmoke

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

often reverts back to red again.

Interesting :think:  Im going to cross a normal Ghost with Yellow 7pot Jonah this year.  See if i cant get 14g Ghost peppers.IMG_0907_zpsrknjkozp.jpg

Edited by Topsmoke, 09 February 2016 - 12:43 PM.

#20 mpicante

mpicante

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,382 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

Good luck on that project.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Golden, Bhut, Ghost Pepper, 2016, Grow, LED

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests