• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Golden Bhut Jolokia

Very Excited for this pheno! I have seen the Golden Bhut before from a few growers in Texas. Very prolific and the pods are beautiful. I sprouted two of them for the 2016 season and they are off and running.

Golden Bhut Jolokia
hpTIQnM.png

Topsmoke said:
Ive seen these in a bunch of this years seed catalogs, they all looked like a cross between an Aji lemon and a ghost to me. 
http://www.territorialseed.com/product/ypp714
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-9820-golden-ghost.aspx
funny thing is Bakercreek seeds is only heirloom, and Johnny's says its an F1 hybrid. So there must be a number of "golden Ghosts" out there, cause neither look like the one in the vid.
The pods they are selling seed from are yellow. Not even close to gold. The one in the video is the color mine will turn.
Mene said:
What do the pods look like? Any photos?
I don't have any photos. Watch the link to the video I posted above to see what it will look like.

pa1966stang said:
Beautiful looking pod, but that video...agg I thought I was going to have an epileptic seizure. 
Yes! Sadly it was the only video I could find on the Golden Bhut. There just is not much info about it out there yet.

Bishop Brads Bhuts look like a Yellow Bhut / Douglah cross or similar, to keep it so yellow gnarly and pimply it's got something in it .. It's also got some mustard in its colouring by the look of it ..

SvtCobra said:
The pods they are selling seed from are yellow. Not even close to gold. The one in the video is the color mine will turn.
was wondering about that, How do you quantify the difference between yellow and golden? I guess youll see. 

Cool. I don't know about "golden", but yellow is one of the known natural bhut jolokia variants. It's not as common though, and often reverts back to red again. I had some yellows show up last year from red seed. I've got some yellow F2s sprouting right now and hope they keep their color.

Topsmoke said:
was wondering about that, How do you quantify the difference between yellow and golden? I guess youll see. 
In the same way you can tell the difference between a mustard bhut and a yellow bhut. Or the difference between a caramel bhut and a chocolate bhut. It's close but just not the same. To me I can clearly see a difference when I see the video.
hottoddy said:
Cool. I don't know about "golden", but yellow is one of the known natural bhut jolokia variants. It's not as common though, and often reverts back to red again. I had some yellows show up last year from red seed. I've got some yellow F2s sprouting right now and hope they keep their color.

That's crazy. I have never had a yellow bhut go red or vice versa. Or a chocolate go caramel.

SvtCobra said:
That's crazy. I have never had a yellow bhut go red or vice versa. Or a chocolate go caramel.
To clarify, I meant holding their color in subsequent generations. The yellow bhut is supposedly difficult to stabilize in that color.

hottoddy said:
To clarify, I meant holding their color in subsequent generations. The yellow bhut is supposedly difficult to stabilize in that color.
  I have gone a couple seasons with yellow's holding up using seeds harvested from the parent plant. The yellows I am excited for this year I actually got from you, MOA Bonnet. My 2 bonnets are looking very nice.

Back