• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Daniel's 2016 glog

Since this is my first time growing hot peppers in larger quantities and with putting actual thought behind the process I decided to do a glog.

I am growing:

Red/Orange/El-Remo/Chocolate Habaneros
Bhut Jolokias
Scorpion Butch-Ts
Maruga Yellow Scorpions
Jalapenos, Cayennes
A long-thick type that I picked up from a supermarket
Avariety that is grown by a local bed and breakfast called Zvono
A cherry-like pepper that I bought in a supermarket
Sweet peppers

I will end up with around 35 plants if all goes well.  

I Sowed the seeds exactly a month ago January 5th, here is the progress.

Jan 15th

Most of the seeds sprouted, except the chocolate habaneros. I got a pod at a local restaurant, in the end it took almost a month for the seeds to sprout. Hope the plants will be ok, chocholate habs are my favourite.

6A2bazW.jpg

January 24th, After transplanting them

R7KEGBp.jpg

Jan 27th, Doing a few fusing experiments, here are 2 sweet peppers that I don't mind sacrificing. I have also put them under 5*45W CFL lights which seem to have jump-started them in growth.

mOxMm0k.jpg

February 5th 
qgMbZll.jpg

Ghost

3jPBZzr.jpg

Scorpion Butch T, so far my best looking seedling

VowZ7sF.jpg

Both seedlings from that long-thick chili that I got in the supermarket ended up having this weird double leaves.

SUgK3ZE.jpg

I still have trouble guessing when is it best to water, but getting there. Hopefully the weather will start to get nice soon and they can spend the daytime under the sun.

Looks great!
It looks like my kind of list , something hot , something basic , something not to hot , something from the supermarket  and always habs, jalapenos and cayenes.

Keep us posted on the fusing experiment.

Great start and nice selection!
We started almost at the same time(1 week difference) and my plants are not nearly as developed as yours, but I presume you're using an external light source for your plants?

Good luck with your grow!

Ohjay said:
Great start and nice selection!
We started almost at the same time(1 week difference) and my plants are not nearly as developed as yours, but I presume you're using an external light source for your plants?

Good luck with your grow!
Thanks, yeah the 5•45W lights made a huge difference. Good luck with your season!

As I started to run out of space and the bigger seedlings were a bit too crowded, I decided to build a new light source and moved them into my wardrobe. The new lamp has 8 45W CFL-s, it is not too elegant, but hopefully will do the job.

GQwo769.jpg

The peppers are doing great and growing fast, just battling with some fungus/mold. I decided to treat it with spraying some diluted hidrogen-peroxide on the soil. Would covering the top layer with some small rocks solve this? A fan is running every other hour throughout the day.

bft8Pqh.jpg

This is the big-boy corner, I might put them in larger pots soon, maybe bury them a bit deeper

7q7fw7b.jpg

Some of them have even started to produce side-shoots 

EG84aLq.jpg

The capsicum chinense section

aqQzum0.jpg

Md4T3cM.jpg

The past 9 days the peppers started growing very fast, I even started putting some of them in larger pots. They are all looking great except a few weird ones with some discolored patches on the leaves, hopefully they will get over it. Looks like the weather is getting warmer here soon, so the plan is to move out the larger ones in about 10-15 days for the daytime only.

4 of the annuums are producing buds
RoKBwws.jpg

GiXdddA.jpg

Ghost
bvYRnN3.jpg

The growth in 9 days

kEOUBMU.jpg

The plants are doing great, all the annuums are producing buds or flowering. I might be a bit ahead of the weather, its rainy and 14-16 Celsius these days here so it will be still a while until they can go outside. Hopefully I can put the larger ones outside on the balcony in a couple of weeks to free up some space under the lights. In the meanwhile I am gradually raising the lights and chopping down lower leaves to make space.

FU10Yzf.jpg

So far the largest plant, 22 cm tall.

nwVzGTq.jpg

Scorpion Butch T, producing buds and huge leaves

C0HkiYX.jpg

Ghost

JAg6l15.jpg

N3HKfL8.jpg

2 Months after I started germinating the seeds, 2 of the plants are already producing pods and reached a height of 26 cm. Currently the bigger ones spend the day outside in a makeshift greenhouse which has a current temperature of about 27 Celsius with the front open, even though it is supposed to be 17 degrees outside. I will continue to keep them inside at night until the night temps reach 10 degrees.

rzAvgZl.jpg

yz5EZnO.jpg

JrcKE4R.jpg

1mfkrZk.jpg

8Va9BlR.jpg

All going well, peppers are growing very nicely outside in the spring sun. The majority of them will be planted in the garden next week.

roYUcD3.jpg

ufXnb0e.jpg
]

xZnwFYN.jpg

My seed vendor gave me a bag titled 'pepper mix', so I planted a seed and this is the result. It is already fruiting, any ideas what it it is?

cFawmn3.jpg

Back