Ozzy's Blue Moon & Blackberry Wit split batch.

This recipe was graciously shared by Wheebz.  Not sure what hops he prefers, but I used Tettnang. I'm going to mash all at once and then split the wort to two 3 gallon batches. One will be with orange peel and coriander to make the Blue Moon like wit. The other will have blackberry and vanilla.

5 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 49.3 %
4 lbs 4.0 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 39.9 %
1 lbs 2.4 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.8 %

Mash In Add 13.31 qt of water at 165.7 F 150.0 F 75 min

0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 9.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 2.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 6 -
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 7 -

The mash has begun. I will batch sparge to get 6 gallons of wort then split up and start boiling :)

Yeah, like I was saying before, I want to do a thread for each batch. That way I can tast it leave notes and maybe brew again later and compare. Plus it will be easier to find.

Well, I realize I should have probably done 6.5-7 gallons of wort. About 2.5 gallons of the Blue Moon clone in the fermenter. Taste and smells fantastic. Definitely going to be good.

OG= 1.062 fair amount higher due to the lower volume.

tctenten said:
Have you bottled out of your keg yet?
Not yet, but I will. I've watched some videos about how to do it without a beer gun.
grantmichaels said:
I'm confused ...

2.5 x2 though, right?
I usually have 5.5 in the fermenter so I have a true 5 after the trub. Not a big deal, but I would have liked more because it taste really good.

OG= 1.057 for the Blackberry. I added a little more wort left over from the mash tun so I would have a little more and get it closer to the target which was 1.051. Definitely has a purple tint to it right now and a faint blackberry taste. Which I'm sure will dicipate during fermentation. I'll get the numbers in here tomorrow. Unfortunately it's time for bed. I have to go eel a sewer in the morning :/

Lol I actually meant to take pictures of the hydro samples.

Is that smoked salmon? Because that sounds pretty good. :)

Both batches are chugging along well. They smell really good. Can't wait to get these bottled up and taste them.

the beer gun is like the easiest piece of equipment to use ever

its beer in, co2 in, and then 2 buttons to purge and fill, thats it

folks thought I was afraid of the gun itself, but it was really about the sanitization of doing multiple beers through it - before you mentioned just purging some mixed beer into glasses between kegs instead of flushing ...

Back