• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Gumbo time

Roux's up
vvegx36.jpg

Let this simmer down na..
97ZhZV2.jpg

Cup of canola oil. Cup of flour. High heat. Stir with a whisk constantly until dark. Don't be afraid to pick the pan off of the stove to give it a break for a second when it start really bubbling and thickening.
If you have pure lard, that would taste the best, but I have to cut calories somewhere lol.

Ozzy yer thumb in that one pic looks damn giant!!  Seriously it's like eleventy sixteen slices of sausage.  I pity the man who thumb wrestles you lolololol...   :D

edit:  Gumbo looks good too

lmao....it does look huge!  My hands are actually just slightly larger than average though I assume lol.  That was a half drunk watching superbowl crappy pic.  I probably didn't do it justice.

Ozzy2001 said:
If you have pure lard, that would taste the best, but I have to cut calories somewhere lol.

Vegetable oil and lard have the same caloric density. If a recipe says to use lard, use lard, man!  :D There's just no getting away from it when it comes to pie crusts and stuff.
     Next time I make gumbo, I might have to try some pig fat. Could I have the recipe to go with the rest of my plan? :scared:

hot stuff said:
I really like using bacon grease if I'm not doing a seafood gumbo.

You just said the magic words. As soon as I posted that before, I started wondering how bacon grease would do. 

hot stuff said:
I really like using bacon grease if I'm not doing a seafood gumbo.
That's what I use for my veggies and meat. This was the first time that I used some seafood stock as opposed to all chicken stock. I really liked how it turned out.

Hybrid I will take a snapshot of the recipe. I got it from the New Orleans school of cooking. I go off of memory anymore because I've made it so much. It's a great recipe.

Back