• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Recommend me a chilli

Hello all,

Not sure if this is posted in the right section so forgive me if its not. 

I'm new to growing peppers so would love some suggestions on 100,000+ SHU peppers which is easy to grow with good crop yield. I get plenty of sunlight and heat so the hotter the growing temperature the better. I was thinking about Scotch Bonnets but open to suggestions. 

I have Bhuts but find they can be a bit annoying and temperamental to grow. 

Thanks heaps for the help. 

My absolute favorite for fresh eating / cooking is "7Pod Yellow". Very big pods, easy to grown and thick walled. Superb fruity taste and smell.

rghm1u20 said:
Lemon drop.
Not +100.000 but a must :)

For +100.000 you can try love-it-or-hate-it Orange Habanero.
Still dont get it how pople can hate it, very good fresh and still good as powder  ;) . But some people find habaneros "soapy" i heared. I just find some small Anuums "soapy".

Zackorz said:
My absolute favorite for fresh eating / cooking is "7Pod Yellow". Very big pods, easy to grown and thick walled. Superb fruity taste and smell.

Still dont get it how pople can hate it, very good fresh and still good as powder  ;) . But some people find habaneros "soapy" i heared. I just find some small Anuums "soapy".
I think is ALMOST like cilantro.

The Fatilii and Datil are a couple of good tasting peppers in the range you are looking for and these are just a little hotter than the typical orange habs. Bahamian Goats are another nice tasting pepper. And your can't go wrong with MOA's. All the ones I names are in similar heat range with the Scotch Bonnets. I'm growing all of the above mentioned peppers this year.

Soapy cilantro?  Soapy Orange Habanero?     It's all genetics folks.  Some of us are "super-tasters" the rest may be "cold cut connoisseurs".   :P   I suppose a hand full of cilantro inserted into the mouth and chewed could maybe be described as, well, soapy or how about grassy?  Same goes with orange habs.   It's the combination of the aforementioned ingredients in proper pairing that makes all the difference.        Pinot Noir:    "peanut of the night."  :rofl:  

The most prolific, vigorous and easy-to-grow of all the 100,000+ SHU peppers in my experience would have to be the Butch T.
ButchT8.JPG

Yellow Scorpion is also prolific, hardy, and consistently an early producer for a super-hot.
IMG_8775.JPG

Usually in a thread where someone asks to recommend one chili I offer the Mustard Habanero, but it is slow to ripen and can be somewhat stingy.  It is my favorite of the "hot" peppers in terms of edibility.  
IMG_8773.JPG

Carolina Reaper is a beautiful pepper that I love for its pod shape, but its not the most prolific producer you will ever see.... (quality over quantity.)
IMG_8765.JPG

Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion is another one of my favorites... it combines the ornamental value of the carolina reaper with excellent flavor and a nice burn.  Its also a fair producer.
IMG_8841.JPG

SavinaRed said:
The Fatilii and Datil are a couple of good tasting peppers in the range you are looking for and these are just a little hotter than the typical orange habs. Bahamian Goats are another nice tasting pepper. And your can't go wrong with MOA's. All the ones I names are in similar heat range with the Scotch Bonnets. I'm growing all of the above mentioned peppers this year.

This...

My yellow bhut jolokias last year grew faster than the traditional bhuts and put out a ton of pods.  With supers, I prefer the 'yellow' flavor over the 'red'.     

White habaneros make a fantasic powder if you are willing to deal with 100's of tiny pods.  I often use it in place of white pepper.

Back