• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Nightcrawlers 2016

Well I've started germing my seeds for this year, definitely ramping it up from last year's boring orange hab, Serrano, red jalapeno, baby bells.

It's still quite a ways off from going into the ground up here in Maine, but I've got them going on a heat mat, and when they pop I'll put them under some led grow lights that I use for all my early veg.

Hold over plants from last year:

5x orange hab (still producing pods)
2x Serrano
3x jalapeno
Pic of the habs, the rest are kinda boring right now, shells of their former selves.
1027151310a_HDR_Hagrid-1_zpsa2zc3tfn.jpg

Started germ on Feb-08

From baker creek heirlooms

Bhut jolokia x5

Trinidad Scorpion x5

started germ on Feb-11

From butch t

CPR x5
Brazilian moruga x5
Carolina reaper x10
Chocolate moruga brain x4
0211161249_zpsua67dd9w.jpg

started germ on Feb-13
From pepperlover/judy

Jonah's yellow brain (PL) x6
White-Peach (PL) x8
Peach 7 Pod (PL) x5
Ají Calabaza (PL) x10
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Yellow) x9(damaged seeds)

Peach Bhut Jolokia x5
Trinidad 7 Pod white x5
Hot beads x5
Cumra cherry x5
0212161055a_Hagrid_zpsbd17hl0i.jpg

started germ feb 19
From mpicante (thank you again!)

MOA scotch bonnet x5
MOA scotch bonnet red x5

I'm germing on damp coffee filters inside of Ziploc bags, on a heat mat.

I'll be updating this as things progress, I'll be selectively keeping plants, also will be gifting a few to family to care for as the season progresses.

I'm in zone 5a.

Any input on the peppers as I go would be appreciated.

mpicante said:
Nice grow list.Good luck on your grow.
Thanks!

I'm still looking for some MOA scotch bonnet seed to add to the grow this year, if anyone knows where I can get my hands on them I'd gladly trade some of the seed I've acquired thus far.

P
Nightcrawler said:
Thanks!
I'm still looking for some MOA scotch bonnet seed to add to the grow this year, if anyone knows where I can get my hands on them I'd gladly trade some of the seed I've acquired thus far.
PM me your address and I will send you some ... no need to worry about trade or postage

Chewi said:
All of those White and Peach should be tasty and also fun to look at. Good growing in 2016!
I love the lighter colored super hots! Does it show? Haha got a few chocolates too though!

My brother in law being competitive came over today with a jiffy planter in hopes that I'd help him get started so he can "out grow" me. They're on my spare heat mat for now until he can clear the room in their closet apparently. I think he just wants me to take care of them until they're ready to go in the ground.

0215161215_Hagrid_zpsnqyxevvt.jpg

Tempted to swap out the peat pellets for empties while I'm taking care of them.

So much thanks to mpicante for the MOA SB seeds! I was only expecting the standards but was pleasantly surprised to see reds too! Thank you so much.

The post sorter wasn't gentle on these puppies but there's definitely enough viable seed, I've got them on the heat mat already!

0219161058_zpsdbfpzcnl.jpg

Guess who was the first to actually say hi out of soil? I'll give you a hint it wasn't one that popped yesterday. It was a surprise this morning.

EDIT: since no one wanted to play a guessing game. It was the SB MOA to sprout first. Last seed I put in, first to show life, those are some bitchin seeds.

0224161404a_zpsuivcuav5.jpg

0224161612_HDR-1_zpsrtcw2mba.jpg

2/24 put a tray down in the grow box, set all seeds that have popped in organic peat soil, under 300watts of LED 3 full 6 packs, and these 2 secret gems. I'll edit later.
--------------------------------

update: 2/25

A few more seeds have popped this morning, 3 Brazilian Morugas, I put them in the soil with the rest.

Also a twin, one of the Scotch Bonnet MOA red decided to fully sprout out of the peat pellet, I don't recall putting down 2 seeds (almost certain I didn't) but the sprout has 2 stalks so close that I dare not separate them, so it'll grow out as a twin.
0225161503b_Hagrid-1_zpsui5mjthf.jpg

0225161148_HDR_zpskfhepfqo.jpg

I was starting to get discouraged because nothing new has popped the past few days, it's been worrying. But my Bhuts that I set to germ on the 8th just hooked this morning, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of time for the others as well seeing as the bhuts were the first ones I put on the heat.

The seeds that had hooked that I planted still haven't sprouted either, though I did plant them a little deeper than I usually would I'll give them a few more days as well.

Leap year means one extra day of germination. all of the scorpions and the rest of the regular bhuts hooked this morning, that gives me a 100% germ rate on those varieties that have popped, which is pretty rare for me.

Still waiting on the majority but the seeds are looking good, I don't have any doubt that it'll be just a matter of a few days for most of them, the CPR seeds are looking odd though I'm thinking of putting a few more down.

Flaming Youth said:
Nice Nightcrawler, My CPR is just now breaking soil. How long did yours take?
I put them on the heat mat on the 11th and they aren't turning translucent or popping at all yet. I'm going to leave these ones on the heat and put some more in peat pellets I think

Patience is needed ... some varieties are stubborn and will take longer than you expect ... have to congratulate you on your photograph skills that MoA twins shot is awesome and picture perfect ... you won't be disappointed when they mature

All the very best for this season

Trident chilli said:
Patience is needed ... some varieties are stubborn and will take longer than you expect ... have to congratulate you on your photograph skills that MoA twins shot is awesome and picture perfect ... you won't be disappointed when they mature

All the very best for this season
Oh I'm sure they'll pop, but I'm not leaving it to chance! I've got more seeds so I'll see if I can get them going along side. Never hurts to have more than you planned!

Back