• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Garlic in your sauce?

How many of you add fresh garlic to your sauces, and how does it impact the flavor in your opinion? I have read a lot about the health benefits of garlic. My main focus for research was on removing metals from the body that are not good to have.  Allicin I believe is the compound that helps flush the heavy metals out. A lot of people really want to know about or purchase anything that is legitimately healthy or good for you...like capsaicin! 

Here is an example of one of many sites that discuss the benefits of garlic

http://www.organiclifestylemagazine.com/top-5-foods-that-detox-heavy-metals-and-toxins

GhostPepperz said:
How many of you add fresh garlic to your sauces, and how does it impact the flavor in your opinion? I have read a lot about the health benefits of garlic. My main focus for research was on removing metals from the body that are not good to have.  Allicin I believe is the compound that helps flush the heavy metals out. A lot of people really want to know about or purchase anything that is legitimately healthy or good for you...like capsaicin! 

Here is an example of one of many sites that discuss the benefits of garlic

http://www.organiclifestylemagazine.com/top-5-foods-that-detox-heavy-metals-and-toxins
I have yet to make a sauce for me that doesn't include garlic. I grow my own garlic = 100 bulbs a year. Now I've have made some sauce without garlic for a family member who is allergic to garlic. 

Lots of things are healthy but no one is buying hot sauce because garlic is healthy. It does work well in many sauces of course. It's in ketchup and BBQ sauce, Louisiana style hot sauces, etc.

SavinaRed said:
I have yet to make a sauce for me that doesn't include garlic. I grow my own garlic = 100 bulbs a year. Now I've have made some sauce without garlic for a family member who is allergic to garlic.
If you grow your own garlic, it may be worth your while to grow hardneck garlic. Two categories grown in North America are the Rocambole and the Continental hardnecks.

Rocamboles are much sweeter and less hot than the softneck garlics, but much more garlicky than the best-flavored softneck varieties. They can be used raw (in salad dressings, they are superb !!), and should not be over-cooked; like basil, their flavor can get cooked out by excessive heat or cooking time.

Continental hardnecks range in flavor from Rocambole sweetness to a harshness (when raw) that is unpleasant: i can eat a habanero pepper quite casually, but i cannot eat a raw Georgian Fire or Polish Jenn clove easily. They're just too dang hot!
Having said that, they are among the very best garlic varieties for roasting... i'm not sure what effect the LAB fermentation process has on the flavor, but the pasteurisation process when bottling it should put paid to any concerns.

The Continental hardneck variety Music is one of the more productive, more intensely garlicky strains, with a cleaner/less-harsh heat. It also stores better than most, and is higher-yielding than most.

The Continental hardneck variety Siberian is offered by one of Canada's most reputable seed-merchants, Richter's Herb Seed catalog. They claim it has more allicin than other varieties, and is thus healthier for you. I don't think they can ship roots/bulbs/tubers outside of Canada, but i'm sure there are other sources for Siberian.

Another feature you will appreciate with hardneck varieties is that the bulbs are much larger, with fewer cloves, and are much easier to peel.

SavinaRed said:

Ha!  I'm the same way.  Grow 100-120 head of garlic each year, and probably 80% of it goes into sauces

JayT said:
Probably the biggest craze in mainstream hot sauce right now is Sriracha. Companies are making everything with Sriracha. It is also one of the most garlicky sauces out there.

LOL Jay you are living in 2014. And it's actually not very garlicky it's very well balanced.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Red Label does a nice job on garlic incorporation. Check out the sauce. The Orange Label is hotter with more garlic, if that is your thing. So that too. :)

Or are you asking because you make sauce?

I seem to be just about the only person around here that would never put garlic in/on anything. 1) My husband is allergic to garlic and 2) I don't like the taste or smell of it. Actually that makes for a great marriage :P

The only time I've grown garlic was to try to keep bad insects off my roses. It didn't work though so that was the end of that stinky experiment ;)

Nulle said:

The only time I've grown garlic was to try to keep bad insects off my roses. It didn't work though so that was the end of that stinky experiment ;)
I've never enjoyed much success, when employing companion-planting techniques to prevent/control bugs... my theory is that the bugs haven't read the same gardening texts that i have.

Seriously, i've had aphid infestations on garlic chives and leaf-hoppers on garlic...

Back