• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long before you throw in the towel?

This is my first year growing peppers from seed.
I have two types of peppers that have not germinated yet when everything else is up and looking good.

My Fatalii and Red Savina Habanero have done nothing-----I planted 6 seeds of each. (Planted in seed starting mix from gardeners supply) and placed on a heat matt. I am starting week 7

At week three I was a liitle worried about them so I planted 5 more of each in a Burpee seed starting kit and 4 of each in rockwool. As of right now I have had zero germination of either of these 2 varieties?

Are these notoriously late to the party? I can keep waiting if you think there is a chance.
My Reapers, Congo Red Trinidad, Bhut Orange Copenhagen, Orange Habanero and 7 Pot Gigantic Red are all up and growing well------so I am still exited about my first year growing from seed!!!!!

What do you think? 

Thanks

I've planted all I have. At this point I don't think I have time to start any more from seed as I am in Minnesota and we don't have a long growing season to start with. 

lostfido said:
I've planted all I have. At this point I don't think I have time to start any more from seed as I am in Minnesota and we don't have a long growing season to start with. 
I'm from Maine, you still have time to start some seed. I've direct sown pepper seed in my garden come spring and it produced peppers that year.

However you'll likely only get one crop out of the plant, but you could bring it inside for the winter and give it a jump start on next year.

I wish I had some fatali to send ya because those are great peppers.

7 weeks?   I'd forget about em.    I have to say that every seed I've saved from my OWN crops has germinated within a week of sowing.  All OTHER outside sourced seed has been questionable.  Sort of like "In thy own seed Trust".  That said, the longest Outside sourced seed I have waited on to sprout was Manzano.  4 weeks ! 

Man thats tough, I planted some of these in a 72 hex dome with a lot of my other seeds. This was back in December, I gave the plants some new shoes. none of my 6 fatalli's sprouted, and the day I moved the rest up, there was one hook on the fatalii. So that was a good 7-8 weeks... I know last year it took a long time as well. I have heard this one takes a while to germ. 

I think these seeds are a lost cause.I usually have seeds pop between 4 and 10 days.Either a bad batch of seeds or you havent met what is required for germination.Since your other seeds are up and going id say bad seeds.Just my opinion.

Start another batch up if you can get seeds in the next week or two! You definitely still have time but you'll have a late summer crop. I have been exactly where you are and thought of just giving it up. You'll get the hang of it. Next year, start a little earlier maybe. Every year will be a little better than the last.

Happy Growing

the best way to germinate pepper seeds that i have found is to lay the seeds between two sheets of wet paper towel in something like tupperware that will keep in the moisture.  Keep that on the seed mat and in about +/- 2 weeks they should sprout (keep an eye on them after a few days so you dont miss it). Then I transplant those that sprouted.  Just putting the seed directly in the soil will stymie the whole process.  Plus this way you get to see the tap root come out instead of just hoping its working.

I would have thrown in the towel 4 weeks back. My seeds pop in 5-7 days. Longest to date being 12 days, no matter the species.

Most germ in 3-12 days for me. I will wait 30-40 days for galapagoense but those varieties should be up by now.

I have some 6-8 weeks seeds still germinating and sprouting. These all started at the same time.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 52
Some Chinense will take over a month to germinate but most seeds germinate in 7-10 days if they are viable. 7 weeks is pretty long for nothing to germinate.

Back