• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

UK Season ?

Facebook friend mentioned waiting 12 months seed to pod in the UK.  Planted early March of 2015, just now getting pods.  Is UK extremely short season?  I asked him if maybe he was indoors only and has horrible lighting.  Just seems like nearly 12 months is a huge amount of time for a chocolate brain strain.

I live in Wales and yes the season is very short, don't now about "chocolate brain strain."  but go my choc scorp,s and moa scotch bonnets seeds planted in december in the grow-tent, still to cold to think about putting them out  and hope to get some pods this year,

20160214_111434.jpg

Season for outdoor growing in the UK (under glass) is mid-April (earliest for unheated greenhouses) to the start of November (latest), so not that short.  

Most UK growers start plants indoors at the beginning of the year and gradually move outside into the greenhouse when night temps are consistently 10C+ at the lowest.

Plants are looking good cefncanol. I'm in Scotland; last year i started my seeds end of January but didn't get them out into the greenhouse until the first week of June due to low overnight temps. Plants were fine until end of October. Hopefully we get some decent weather this year!

scotsbonnet said:
Plants are looking good cefncanol. I'm in Scotland; last year i started my seeds end of January but didn't get them out into the greenhouse until the first week of June due to low overnight temps. Plants were fine until end of October. Hopefully we get some decent weather this year!

Many thanks scotsbonnet ... am doing a bit of a test with my "culled" seeds could not bring myself to kill them .... take a look they are outside in the poly-tunnel .. 24/7 they are even growing :party:

20160214_133917.jpg

Is your polytunnel heated?? I'm the same with my seedlings, don't like to discard any. After seeing your plants i'm going to do the same and stick the extra plants in the greenhouse earlier than usual and see how they progress.

Dennish, I live on the Aegean coast and those are about the same dates as the outside growing season here. Last frost is officially beginning of April for my area although it only hits in April once every 10 years or so.

scotsbonnet said:
Is your polytunnel heated?? I'm the same with my seedlings, don't like to discard any. After seeing your plants i'm going to do the same and stick the extra plants in the greenhouse earlier than usual and see how they progress.

Hi m8 ... no the poly-tunnel is not heated, The plants are just sat in a tray with a plastic top over them just to keep a bit of the heat in, I do keep an eye on the weather and if it gets a bit cold  put them in and extra propagator i have for the night .

Please keep this going as i know a lot of members are from the UK and might be interested? 

Back