• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

AJs First Ever Hot Sauce 08-24-08

Well, I made my first hot sauce today…kinda used Stillmanz recipe but did a lot of substitution…total pepper weight was 200 gms.

Ingredients:
43 - Jamaican Hot Reds
40 - Tepins
10 - NuMex Bailey Pequin
25 - White Habeneros
4 - Orange Habaneros
2 - Chocolate Habeneros
1 - Dorset Naga
2 - 7 Pot
1 - Trinidad Scorpion
3 Tbsp Salt
9 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1200 ml Plums (Mango flavored)
5 Limes
4 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Arrowroot

082408b001.jpg

Will be working on a label later tonight…I am going to call it “Plum Hot”

These are 150 ml containers.

thehotpepper.com said:
Wait a minute... what?

When I went to central market yesterday to get some mango they were out as I found out when I talked to the guy that was stocking...he turned me on to these plums...they are tennis ball sized, yellow/redish when completely ripe and taste very good...sweet of course, with mango undertones....I will try and get the name of the plums and post.

Sounds like a really hot sauce, but I expected nothing else tbh. I like the idea of using plums. I guess it'll taste even better in a few days time. It's a pity that we can't share sauce as easily as seeds! :)

sounds good mate, have to tell me how it goes.
bet it would go well on game meats, we used to make a lovely plumb sauce for a venison dish.
you'll have to give us a full review

Mick

mmm congrats on your first hot sauce. Looks real good for your first go at it. Personally I probably wouldn't have used the apple cider vinegar and 4 cups of it at that but each their own. You could have added some of your dried pepper flakes to make things hotter. Between the plums and the hot peppers you should have no problem going in the morning.

Thanks all...and a big thanks to Stillz for a starting place on the recipe...I love the fruit based sauces....

Just had my first taste of it after it chilled all night in the refrigerator...definitely has a little burn, not too intense but the burn is complete from the lips to the back of the throat...this is what I was trying to achieve with the mixture of peppers I used....It is a little heavy on the vinegar but still a sweet good taste to it...the plum taste is definitely there...the taste is remarkably similar to Stillz Devils Tongue Jerk sauce...I expect it to get hotter as the days pass by...I have 6 unopened in a cool, dark, dry place (top of my closet) that I am going to try and forget about...next batch will be reduced vinegar and added lime juice....3 cups of vinegar and 10 limes instead of 4 cups of vinegar and 5 limes...by the way...the powdered arrowroot works like a charm for a thickener...it's just hard to get it disolved....

I won't be selling any of these sauces I make...they are for home usage and gifts...I just don't want to have to put up with the hastle of commercial kitchens, larger batches than I want, and storage of the final product...

My rating on a scale of 10 is heat about a 6 or 7 and taste about the same...I am proud of my first try...even the wife likes it....I am slowly but surely turning her into a chilehead...she actually touched her tongue to the placenta of a 7 Pot and T. Scorpion yesterday...all she said was WOW!!!...she trusts me and knows when I tell her it is hot to beware... :lol:

Hey Stillz...I made a 4X order using your basic recipe so I thought I would have a lot more bottles than I did...I only got 7 150ml bottles...you said you got 8 out of a single order...I must have reduced it way too much...I brought it to a boil and simmered it for about 3 hours...

BTW, nice bottles. :)

I gotta pick up some smaller canning jars for sauce soon and those are a great size.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen 150ml canning jars before.

QuadShotz said:
BTW, nice bottles. :)

I gotta pick up some smaller canning jars for sauce soon and those are a great size.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen 150ml canning jars before.

Thanks Quad...I got them at "The Container Store"...they were pretty expensive at a little less than 2 bucks a bottle but since they will be reused, I figured what the heck. They are not listed as 150 ml jars...listed as 5 oz (essentially same as 150 ml) and I got two sizes...I got eight 5 oz and four 8 oz...they are perfect for my needs...

here's a link...they are actually called spice jars:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=70879&PRODID=10013118

Nice job AJ! Sauce sounds awesome. Tip for you on the arrowroot. Mix it with a couple of tablespoons of water before adding it to your sauce. That will help with dilution.

JayT said:
Nice job AJ! Sauce sounds awesome. Tip for you on the arrowroot. Mix it with a couple of tablespoons of water before adding it to your sauce. That will help with dilution.
I'd use the vinegar that's already going in, added water should be avoided when possible.

thehotpepper.com said:
I'd use the vinegar that's already going in, added water should be avoided when possible.

Really THP? I'm certainly no saucemaker, but I have heard of many people using water to thin out their sauces. I have too. Just out of curiosity, what is the downside of water? I agree that AJ could dissolve his Arrowroot in vinegar though.

Back