• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spankys 2016 stripped down, strain poor, hot damn, return to the dirt GLOG!

Greetings everyone ! Just got my season underway here in Portland Oregon after sitting out while just tinkering a bit the past few seasons. This year is different in that I'm not growing out as many plants or strains as in the past. It was tough to resist that little voice that wispers what about this pepper or that strain or how about that cool cross so and so sent you but I seeded 72 rooters and managed to fight off that temptation .. well almost . I was gonna only grow 2 strains and 1 cross but while digging out my cross seeds I ran across some Jays Peach Bhuts which I had to include because the only other time I tried them the seeds sent me were crossed. These come from John Ford and he's never let me down in the past, but that was it ! And that was strictly a principle thing just didn't want that strain to get the best of me lol.

The scale back was due to a few things, first I'm growing primarily to make my hot sauce which I never have enough of. I can sell as much of it as I make. Secondly my growing space is small and with so many strains you tend to end up with many crossed seeds, I want to attempt to keep things as pure as possible, more on that later in the season. So I chose my favorite, a curiosity, a bad assed cross and the afore mentioned Peach Bhut. Here's the line up.

30 Primos from Primos peppers .. My favorite
24 Reapers from Puckerbutt .. curious to see how different is it REALLY from the Primo
12 of a cross that I believe was between a Reaper and a Jigsaw though not sure for now we're tentatively calling this Ripsaw it is a bumpy hot bastard I mean HOT! I have never tryed to grow out a cross so wanted to try.
6 Peach Bhuts .. reason stated above

So here's my humble beginning

Hers a pic of a Green Ripsaw a friend of mine grew out from some seeds I gave him, he had some red pod pics but lost them with his phone. I never thought to take pics of the few I had. He is growing out 18 I think, will keep you all updated may also have some questions along the way

Well that's it for now will update this as often as I can .. life you know .. It's busy .. seems like I'm always at work. I wish you all a GREAT season and hope to catch up with some old timers over the next few months

Man day 8 and so far no popped seeds, now I haven't done this in a few years but expected to have a few in a week, I know traditionally it's more like 10-14 days but zero? I'm on a heat may at about 85 degrees in rooters kept moist. The only thing I did different was when placing the seeds in the rooters I pushed them down into the rooter as opposed to just dropping them in the hole and because of the seed source I only put 1 seed per puck instead of 2. Maybe I'm not remembering and being a little impatient .. I guess time will tell ; ) .. Any input would be appreciated

I hope you have a great season.Theyll pop soon enough.I also like the idea of fewer varieties.I might try that next season but the temptation to grow just one more variety...

mpicante said:
I hope you have a great season.Theyll pop soon enough.I also like the idea of fewer varieties.I might try that next season but the temptation to grow just one more variety...
Yea the past few seasons I've had 30-45 varieties too many crossed seeds so I'm trimming down hoping to #1 more true seed # 2 provide hot peppers for hot sauce and then still have the hobby to enjoy. I hope your season is fruitful as well. They actually started popping last night should be a busy week.

So Im 2 weeks in and not having a great germination rate thus far and not sure why I'm doing everything I've always done and I'm having many pop with seed husk still on .. ANY IDEAS ?

Okay it's been a bit since I've posted so just a quick update with some pics, Im through the germination process and have basically gotten all I'm gonna get. I've potted all rooters into small 4 inch pots with a 50/50 mix of Happy Frog and Ocean Forest with 10% big chunk perlite amended with calcium. I got good numbers from everything except the Jays Peach Bhut where I only got 1 which is disappointing. There's about 20 rooters still not popped and I was ready to toss them but am seeing what looks like some tap roots so decided to leave them. The potted plants are going nuts and already have roots out the bottom so I may be forced to harden off early if weather holds as Id prefer to do that in smaller pots. Everytime I water I use a very dilute mix of ProGrow and CalMag w/ Iron at the rate of 1 full cup of full strength added to 1 gallon of water and about a 1/2 cup of Vitiman B. Here's some pics

So there you have it, I'll try and post more often but life is BUSY Be well and be blessed may your days be full of joy and peace !!

Holy smokes got home today and out of the approx 20 rooters that were left, the ones I was gonna toss I got 6 more popped 5 reapers and 1 more primo

Little Reapers

Baby Primo

Here's some more pics

Well just wanted to share my surprise I had taken those rooters off the heat and put them under the light and was gonna toss em but though I saw tap roots so put them back on the heat and bam just like that 6 more baby killers lol

Thanks for stopping by

So my plants are just busting out sooner than I like the weather here in Portland can be unpredictable warm during the day cool at night and you can NEVER discount rain. I thought about it and decided to hardened them off early to chance the weather. It's 82 degrees today 54 tonight but the rest of the week we're looking at 45 degrees at night.
Here you can see they have burst out of their 4 inch pots

They got 4 hours today of diffused sun and they are staying out uncovered all night. Here they are taking in some rays

Curious what's the coolest nights anyone's every had hardening off plants ??

Thanks again for stopping by

Good looking grow!

I leave mine out during the hardening process as long as temps stay above 40°

Devv said:
Good looking grow!

I leave mine out during the hardening process as long as temps stay above 40°
Thanks for the info! I think my plants are hardened off already, the nights don't get below 45 degrees for the foreseeable future my biggest worry will be rain. Thanks again !

I will say this after many years of growing peppers, I started setting them out 30 days after I set the maters. What a difference it's made this year, normally they just yellow up and sit there, ticking me off. They do better in the pots that the sun heats until the soil warms up during this time. Why this took me 30 years to figure out? The 70's??? IDK, LOL

Devv said:
I will say this after many years of growing peppers, I started setting them out 30 days after I set the maters. What a difference it's made this year, normally they just yellow up and sit there, ticking me off. They do better in the pots that the sun heats until the soil warms up during this time. Why this took me 30 years to figure out? The 70's??? IDK, LOL
I like cool to warm days with overcast skies the best !

Back