vendor Buckeye Peppers

Initially I was very happy. My order was correct, shipped fast, good variety, and a free pack. Everything you could want in a seed company.

Unfortunately, of the 24 plants I planted, the only varieties that didn't sprout were the Orange Habs and Scotch Bonnets I ordered from buckeye. My germination on the rest of my plants this year (saved seeds from last year and various venders) sprouted at a 100% rate. Everything I planted is up and happy. Except the empty tray cells where I got 0% germ from my Buckeye Varieties. I don't know why, they got the same treatment as every other seed I planted.

I have replanted the rest of the seeds I recieved from Buckeye. I hope they workout or I get no Orange Habs or any Bonnets this season. If they grow, I will update with the good news.

Good service, good people from everything I have read. I will try them again, but felt the vault was the place to inform my fellow chili heads with my experience

No, I waited and waited hoping they would come up. Today after work is when I finally gave up on them.

I do not intend to contact them. I have no doubt they would "make it right" but it isnt necessary.. From all the positive feedback I have seen about them, I will order from them again. Maybe the seeds had damage from shipping. Maybe they were just old stock. Who knows. Just thought I should share my experience.

Update.. After my seeds not sprouting, I planted the remaining seeds to retry.. It has only been a week, so it is very early still, but my control seeds have all sprouted without issue..

For this test planting, I planted

5 Orange Habs - Buckeye
5 Scotch Bonnet - Buckeye
5 Brown Moruga - Saved Seeds From 2015

To keep the planting as even as possible, I bought a jiffy grow dome with peat pucks. 15 seeds planted in 3 rows right next to each other, with a heat mat running 85° and water with a PH of 6.5. PH meter was freshly calibrated.

At the 1 week mark, we have the following sprouts

5/5 Brown Moruga
0/5 Orange Hab
0/5 Scotch Bonnet

It is early, It has only been a week. I will give them up to 4 weeks

Odd... I've had good luck with Buckeye germ rates.  

Reaper, Bhut, two types of Cayenne, Bahamian Goat, Biker Billy Jalapeno and Hangijao #5....

Any chance they froze in the mail?

Yea, I suppose that could be the case. Although I don't know that that would do them in. As I understand it alot of people store their seeds in the freezer. It is Michigan winter, so its plenty cold enough.

I found that freezing pepper seeds will definately hurt germination rates. A few years ago I took 20 seeds from the same package, I put 10 of them in the freezer for a week. I had 9 of 10 unfrozen germinate. I had 4 of 10 of the frozen germinate. I live in Minnesota so I always order my seeds now when it's not super cold.

I dont freeze mine either, I store them organized by heat and alphabet in coin envelopes, in a sports card binder... very good germ rates on my saves

As for freezing, it is hard to say. They shipped fast (a buckeye plus) and arrived in about 2 days. If they froze it was on the shipping side if things, they wouldnt have had the chance in the mailbox. Mail comes at the same time we are outside to get the 5 year old off the school bus

Plus, the seeds I ordered from other sources at the same time period had fine germ rates

I'm more surprised about the 5/5 Morugas than the 0/5 of the others, after only one week!
Just giv'em some time, i'm sure they will germinate good! ;)

I had the same problem last year with my Brown Congos, from Buckeye too, but they all sprouted at the end!

Yea, we were very suprised at that, it was not expected at all.. I usually do seed trays and expect hooks around 10-14 days with more coming over the next week.. the 5/5 morugas has completely changed my germination method going forward.. I will definitely be starting my seeds in a jiffy dome with peat pucks from now on.

Oddly enough, the hardest thing to germinate last year was my Brown Morugas lol.. out of 8 attempts, only 2 came up, and it took them every bit of a month. One of those was weak and died young.. the other I had to baby, but ultimately became one of my favorite plants and provided the seeds for this season.. At this point I would be happy with just 1 orange hab growing. Save my own seeds for next year and then problem solved

LordHill said:
Yea, we were very suprised at that, it was not expected at all.. I usually do seed trays and expect hooks around 10-14 days with more coming over the next week.. the 5/5 morugas has completely changed my germination method going forward.. I will definitely be starting my seeds in a jiffy dome with peat pucks from now on.

the jiffy dome with the cloth over them? those are the best 

Update.. Here we are, at the 3 week mark (21 days) ... nothing new, still 1/5 orange hab, 0/5 Scotch Bonnet, and 5/5 brown moruga (my control) . 7 days unil I give up

Ain't lookin' good.... Ran a search and it came back with top pic - clicking on link leads to second.....

pn3kcu2.jpg

ywMB8c3.jpg

`

Back