• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Shoreriders Biltong 2016.

I've been wanting to make some Biltong for a few weeks now and it finally happened today. For those that don't know, Biltong is a South African style of beef jerky. It is traditionally made with game meats, but works just as well with beef. The vinegar in the brine helps to keep the nasties away.

Biltong mix Ingredients:
16 Tbsp Brown sugar. (Adjust to taste if required)
8 Tbsp coarsely ground coriander seeds.
8 Tbsp whole coriander seeds.
4 Tbsp coarse black pepper. 
4 Tbsp Sweet Paprika.

Brine ingredients:
1 Cup Worcestershire sauce.
2 Cups Red wine vinegar. 

For this batch I used Topside beef as it was the best cut I could find at the time. 

I had my butcher cut the Topside into 1cm thick slices with the grain. This lot weighed about 4kg.
20160227_145716.jpg

I sliced the pieces into 3-4cm wide strips as best I could. Then, I salted them using a coarse salt so as to remove some moisture. Be sure to use a coarse salt so it's easier to remove later. Then cover, and place into the fridge for 1 hour.
20160227_152312.jpg

One hour later, you can see the moisture the salt has drawn out in the bottom left corner of the tray.
20160227_172923.jpg

Then I scraped off as much salt as I could before a thorough rinse through a bowl of the Vinegar & Worcestershire sauce mix.
20160227_181120.jpg

Then, every piece gets a generous coating of the Biltong mix.
20160227_183602.jpg

Once every piece has a good coating of the mix, they are ready to hang. I hung my Biltong in my back shed, as the sun heats up the inside really well and it should take a week or so until the desired "dryness" is achieved. 
20160227_192556.jpg

I followed the advice of fellow THP members and used some whole coriander seeds alongside ground. I also added sweet Paprika for the first time, just to add a bit more color and complexity. 

I'll be adding a dusting of smoked Jimmy Nardello chilli powder to about half this batch.

I'll add an update when it's time for a taste test. 

SR.

Thanks guys, so after no more than 72 hours, it's all dry, if anything a little too dry. Today was the hottest of all three days, and when I checked yesterday there was still a little flex in them.

When torn with the grain, you can see the fibers in the meat.
20160301_203515.jpg

Cut across the grain.
20160301_190804_2.jpg

It still has a little moisture which is good, as it adds to the texture. It has great flavor, the whole coriander seeds add a "pop & crunch" feel and then a flavor burst that I have never experienced when only using ground coriander seeds.

Why did I wait so long to do this again. 

Oi, Grant, pull yer finger out and give this a go, it'd go great with one of your brews.

SR.

You should try with thicker cuts.  We use the backstraps with a good slab of fat on them.  The biltong should be about an inch thick when dry!  It is traditionally made in the dry, freezing cold winter months when there are no flies etc about. 

It is best to mix the salt and sugar with vinegar and some water (almost like a pickling brine) and soak the meat in that for a few hours - usually overnight.

Then dust lightly with ground roast coriander, black peeper and a bit of nutmeg or cloves (tiny bit).

You'll know its ready when the fat turns yellow and is translucent when cut.  The biltong should still be deep red inside and not 100% dried - like any good air-cured meat.

The only meat we dry completely is ostrich.  Game sometimes dries out completely - especially springbok which don't have the thickest of backstraps.

It is a bit weird down here that almost anything gets turned into biltong:  two of the weirder I've had are giraffe and warthog.  They were actually damn fine - the warthog had extra pepper added as it is a bit more gamey (makes AWESOME spare ribs btw).

Of the game, kudu is the most popular.

Keep it up guys - it's great to see culinary adventures unfolding!

Great job shorerider very easy to follow great pics and very well laid out. A pro job as usuall my Brother!!!
looks very tasty great spice combo. I do love RobStar's idea about roasting the spices first. But a fantastic job on the whole Brother!!!!
Cheers

Shorerider said:
Thanks guys, so after no more than 72 hours, it's all dry, if anything a little too dry. Today was the hottest of all three days, and when I checked yesterday there was still a little flex in them.

When torn with the grain, you can see the fibers in the meat.

Oi, Grant, pull yer finger out and give this a go, it'd go great with one of your brews.

SR.

Looks great!

Only reason I didn't (and haven't) is because of the humidity here ...

Although maybe it could be done once in the next few weeks while it's still cool and occasionally breezy ...

:CHEERS:

Thanks for the comments all.

RobStar, thanks for the tips. I had aimed to have a little red in the center of the meat once cut, but our dry South Australian summer had other ideas. I do think that I'll cut the meat at least twice as thick next time so that I do get some more moisture retention and color in the center of the meat. With added moisture content, will it last just as long? Funny, I had thought about roasting the coriander for this batch, and almost did, next time for sure though. I'll be making some changes to the next batch so looking forward to that.

Thanks OS, it is actually very simple to do. I encourage everyone to try this, it's a simple and rewarding process.

Grant, it's unfortunate your climate is too humid for proper air drying. The same can be said for the more northern, tropical north of Australia. I guess I'm lucky in that respect, but if you can find a way around the humidity issue, you'll be glad you did. 

Tinnie, thanks mate, Billatong sounds much more Oztraylian for sure!

SR.

I make biltong in my Excalibur,my recipe is much simpler though
As advise by my neighbor who is South African,took about 4 batch's till she called it legit LOL!

TNKS said:
I make biltong in my Excalibur,my recipe is much simpler though
As advise by my neighbor who is South African,took about 4 batch's till she called it legit LOL!

I do my jerky in the excalibur, but didn't think you could get biltong done in there too.  Temps and times would be great if you get a chance.  After seeing SR's pics, I started looking at biltong box builds... 

Sure just run in low and slow it works fine.
Pretty tasty stuff for sure.
Im going to try this (Op)receipe on my next run.

Good to see the International fans of our South African staple snack.
Well done . :lol:
We usually make Biltong in winter , in hunting season , but in summer you only need 3-4 days of drying.

After tasting over a few days, I think I would reduce the black pepper by a quarter or even a half. 

If you're trying this recipe go easy on the salt in the initial salting stage, and for no longer than an hour. All the sugar I put in the Biltong mix (and no salt) and I can still taste some saltiness.

I think next time I'll do what I did last time and run it through two separate brine mixes, first to last then last to first to ensure every piece is equally rinsed of salt.

SR.

I rinse in ACV,then salt(stand)
Then rinse again* in ACV,season up and dry it
** Rinse off the salt in fresh clean ACV **
Seasoning is whole toasted seed and a touch of hot powder,thats it.

Back