• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Needing a substitute for coconut milk

So,thinking about making some curry tonight.

Problem with that is,my wife is allergic to coconut.

Are there any good substitutes that will taste similar to coconut milk?

Coconut is pretty much distinctive as far as I know. I good Almond milk might work, make your own if you have a good blender.

dragonsfire said:
Coconut is pretty much distinctive as far as I know. I good Almond milk might work, make your own if you have a good blender.
Thanks man.

Thought about leaving it out altogether,but,then it would be off tasting.

I'll give the almond milk a go and see what happens.

Coconut has a one of a kind flavor. Creaminess can be substituted with.. well.. Cream.

I'm fearing Almond milk might have too much flavor. But that's a hit or miss, it might even work out great.

Try it, for the sake of science. Pizza is only a phonecall away.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'll definitely try a few and see how it turns out.

Definitely challenging cooking for someone with allergies.

I though about Cashews but would not put much flavour, just rich body (unless their roasted, I use raw) might mix some up just as an experiment :)

A lot of people substitute coconut milk with low fat yogurt and low fat skim milk mixture.

Use a corn starch slurry which is just corn starch dissolved in a little water.

I would not be adding dairy, milk, yogurt, or anything like that. You could ruin the curry. The corn starch will thicken to curry consistency and also alter the color similarly. Don't add as much as you would for coconut milk, pour slowly and whisk/stir until happy.

Also check out a jungle curry recipe, which is a great non-coconut milk curry.

I cheat A LOT with curry.....cause sometimes you just don't have the time or all the ingredients.

If you want a creamy curry and a heck of a shortcut....try a can of cream or mushroom soup. It works really well with shrimp. Use a good madras curry powder, the veggies/meat you like......stir-fry.....then add the COM soup....and thin out with whole milk , sour cream, yougert, or even some heavy cream.

Serve over Basmati rice.....crumble some crispy bacon on top and maybe a little mango chutney or apricot preserves....

Not a traditional curry.....but it's a damned fine dish!

paulky_2000 said:
I cheat A LOT with curry.....cause sometimes you just don't have the time or all the ingredients.

If you want a creamy curry and a heck of a shortcut....try a can of cream or mushroom soup. It works really well with shrimp. Use a good madras curry powder, the veggies/meat you like......stir-fry.....then add the COM soup....and thin out with whole milk , sour cream, yougert, or even some heavy cream.

Serve over Basmati rice.....crumble some crispy bacon on top and maybe a little mango chutney or apricot preserves....

Not a traditional curry.....but it's a damned fine dish!

Thanks man.

Might try that.

THP,thanks for the suggestion on jungle curry.

Looks like a solid dish.

Gonna give that a try sometime.

Half and Half or heavy cream plus a little cashew powder/flour. The flavor will end up more like a Indian makhani than a Thai curry but its good..

Nothing will give you a similar coconut flavor that i can think of.

Back