• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Asperger's Syndrome

Well, here it goes. I want to make an announcement that after much research I have recently come to the realization that I am a case study of undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome!! This realization has been an epiphany. It makes so much sense of my experience in life. The power of knowing this about myself cannot be overstated. It is only due to sheer ignorance of Asperger's syndrome that I did not diagnose myself years ago. I feel like my life is just beginning, and I wanted to share this with all of my friends.  The implications are fascinating.  My brain is on fire!!!  Well anyway... I searched the THP for aspergers and couldn't come up with anything.  I am wondering if there are any other aspies out there... I am sure there are now that I know about it.  My unmanageable collections of seeds recently is one of a plethora of symptoms I exhibit.  So now that I finally met myself ... its nice to meet you all!!!  maybe this should be move to the "introduce yourself" forum!?! hahaha  :P     I feel great.

The newest DSM has eliminated different categories like Aspergers. It is all autism spectrum disorder now. Even PDD NOS. The category used to be pervasive developmental disorder and autism was the harshest diagnosis in the category. It frequently occurs with learning disorders along with it. One of the main diagnostic requirements, however, is that it has to be diagnosed by the teen years at the latest.

Glad you found out and feel like you have re-discovered yourself. :)

Propranolol - the blood pressure medication - helps with autism spectrum disorders. It is also prescribed for stage fright. It helps with some of the components of autism spectrum.

That is very interesting.  I have high blood pressure, and I did notice that my anxiety was greatly alleviated when I started taking beta blockers.  I was on nebivolol and now I am on carvedilol... both seem(ed) to help me a lot...  but I wonder whether this propanolol would be even better.  Also, I recently began taking singulair, and its not been two months since I started taking it that i had this epiphany, so I am speculating on whether it could have some mechanism of action pycho-pharmacologically. Also... I have been wondering whether my high blood pressure could be a symptom of my chronic anxiety due to my Asperger's.  Ive always had whitee coat syndrome.  In other words, I get extremely nervous about going to the doctor.. and my blood pressure readings were off the charts every time I would visit before I was put on beta blockers.  Even still, my blood pressure elevates significantly above my "usual" blood pressure when I go to the doctor.

Inedible said:
The newest DSM has eliminated different categories like Aspergers. It is all autism spectrum disorder now. Even PDD NOS. The category used to be pervasive developmental disorder and autism was the harshest diagnosis in the category. It frequently occurs with learning disorders along with it. One of the main diagnostic requirements, however, is that it has to be diagnosed by the teen years at the latest.

Despite its name, the DSM is not the sort of scientific diagnostic tool any competent physician would use.  Particularly for something as potentially subtle as a touch of ASD.  (It's chief purpose, IMO, is to provide a quick and easy excuse for psychiatrists to prescribe pills.)  

Autism spectrum disorder must have become cool or something. I have read that it has gotten to be close to 1 in 50 now. When I was young it was still 1 in 10,000. If what is wrong is so minimal that it is subtle and easily overlooked by psychiatrists, a person is better off without being labelled and being told that they are wrong for life.

Inedible said:
Autism spectrum disorder must have become cool or something. I have read that it has gotten to be close to 1 in 50 now. When I was young it was still 1 in 10,000. If what is wrong is so minimal that it is subtle and easily overlooked by psychiatrists, a person is better off without being labelled and being told that they are wrong for life.
I agree!

There are types of jobs where it is an advantage. Anything that involves repetition, or quality checking, will be better with an Aspie on the job. Most people get bored of doing the same thing over and over and they can miss important things after several hours. They need to try much harder to keep looking at everything like they haven't been seeing it all day. And quality checking is all about spotting what is not the same. There are actually companies out there that specifically hire Aspies for checking software for bugs.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/30/health/irpt-autism-in-the-workplace/

Back