• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tango's 2016 first season

Hello Forum!

This is my first season growing peppers. I have 8 plants under 200W CFL.
I plan to keep them small and maybe move some of them to the windowsil when there's more sun.
I top the plants and do some training. Aesthetics matter.

Here's what I got:

1. "Paprika". Seeds from a noname supermarket pod, that wasn't very hot. There's a few pods
                    and the new flowers keep falling off, which is normal, right?

2. "Thai". Seeds from small dried pods. I'm hoping to find out exactly what it is after there are some ripe pods.
               Topped more than once, quite bushy, no fruits yet.

3. "Cayenne"  Or something similar, maybe smaller. Very tasty. Seeds from a noname supermarket pod.

4. "P.Small"  The last supermarket seed. Looked like a small Scotch Bonnet or Habanero.
                     Little barell-shaped pod with wrinkles on top. Fruity, no chinense taste. We'll see.

5. Yellow Habanero

6. White Peruvian Habanero

7. Aji Lemon Drop

8. Carolina Reaper

"Paprika" :

"Thai" :

(cat for scale)

"P.Small" :

image.jpg

"Cayenne" and Lemon Drop :

Reaper and Habs :

:cool:

Welcome to THP from the Great White North.

​The plants are doing well. Time for an update :)

Here's my "Paprika". I think it might be Cyklon, or one of the other Polish varieties.
One of the pods is completely red, so I guess I'll harvest it today or tomorrow and taste my first homegrown pepper.

The Thai pepper, which might be Piri Piri in fact started fruiting, and looks pretty nice.
Lots of flowers, so I'm hoping for more fruits soon. I'm thinking about cleaning the main branches from the little shoots that are showing up near the main stem, and letting the whole plant fruit before I do more pruning on the outside.

The Reaper exploded with new growth after second topping. The 4 main branches disappeared under foliage before I could take a photo.
One of the branches is a little behind, but it's getting light, so I'm hoping it will catch up. If not - it's still going to be a bushy bush. 

Yellow Habanero, White Habanero and Lemon Drop are moving to bigger pots today.

Cayenne (right) is starting to bloom. I have decided to keep it in the 0.5 liter cup and see what happens. 
This way I'm also saving some space. I'll move it to a bigger pot after the first harvest.

:)

CAT!! :D

Plants look great!  I've had similar results from two rounds of topping.

Welcome and best of luck this season!

Edit: typo

First harvest! Mmmm...The green one tasted nice too.

Cayenne in a cup is flowering. I'd be happy to get a few pods. If this works I'm totally growing a few more like this.

:)

"Thais" are growing nicely. Around 35 pods on this plant, so I'm happy :)

This is Lemon Drop with a small graft that might not make it, I'm afraid.
Carolina Reaper on the right is getting bigger and starting to bloom.

"Cyklon" got a haircut after the first harvest and is now putting out new shoots. Also a small experimental graft.

All my plants in one family photo :)
From left to right. Top row:  thai, reaper, white peruvian hab, scotch bonnet (perhaps)
Bottom row: cayenne (unlikely), yellow hab, cyklon (maybe), lemon drop.

Inspired by Khang Starr's frankenpepper, I started grafting branches onto my paprika/cyklon plant. The first three grafts are: yellow hababero, "scotch bonnet (perhaps)" and "cayenne (unlikely)".

Meanwhile my reaper decided to bloom :)

I use COMPO BIO fruit and vegetable fertilizer . The soil mix is a COMPO SANA light balcony soil, and has some ferts in it too. 

Extended grow list!:

growing:

aji lemon drop
carolina reaper
white peruvian habanero
yellow habanero
cyklon (maybe)
cayenne (unlikely)
scotch bonnet (perhaps)
thai pepper (of some kind)

germinating:

chocolate bhutla

jays peach ghost scorpion
moa scotch bonnet (yellow)
bahamian goat
jamaican hot chocolate
aji pineapple
datil
brazilian starfish

Many thanks to chiltepin for sending me seeds :)

Back