• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Media centers for PC/Linux

So what are people using here to play media? iTunes?Kodi?WMP?

Personally, I use MusicBee. I loved it when I used to use an old 80 gig iPod. Could transfer music to the iPod without the use of iTunes. Now I just stick with it because its quick and light.

For movies or videos I use Media Player Classic. If I want to stream to the PS3 I use PS3 Media streamer on my laptop and TVersity on the desktop.

So, what do you use?

Always been a Winamp guy (old version V5) and for video I go "Media Player Classic". I still play the classic games, Wiz8,Caesar III, Pharaoh/Cleopatra, and old 1995 3D Pinball space cadets:)
Workstation Win7 and Internet box Debian.

When I built my last gaming computer I took most of the parts out of the old one and build a media center with them.  It's an i3 chip, old AMD gpu, 8 gb ram win 7 pro box that I filled with 4TB of storage drives.  HDMI out the back to our receiver w blu ray player.  Also use Media Player Classic and iTunes.  I have all our family photos, music (about a TB now) and movies on that box.  It is not connected to the internet nor will it ever be.  I love it - I can set our family photos to slide show when people come over for holidays, etc and then I can put on death metal when they stay too late.  :)

Sweet. Always like hearing other people preferences.  Yeah, the laptop is what? a 17 inch screen, 4th gen i5, 1 TB HDD.  And shoot the desktop is just some old Wal Mart HP box, piece o crap. But- it served us well for like three years.

I'm actually very impressed with the WMP that comes with Windows 10, it's a very big difference from the one in 7 and 8 and can finally play FLAC and other lossless files.  I normally run that or VLC depending on which I have open, I like VLC for videos because you can sync a bad audio track and adjust subtitle speed etc.

sirex said:
So, what do you use?
I do not always listen to music. But when I do I use MPlayer. The same goes for videos, and everything you can imagine. When I have to watch DVD or BluRay, I go with VLC or RIP the disc and play with MPlayer.

A few years ago, I ripped my CD collection and used iTunes.  I don't mind it.  For streaming to the TV, I have a roku on my TV in the bedroom and the living room TV is a smartTV so we just Netflix directly to it. 

I never really bought a ton of movies.  For music, I was seriously buying CDs for quite a long time.  In college, when music was just starting to come out on CD, my friends and I were competitive in trying to be the first one to own a particular CD.  I remember telling my friends that I would buy a keg when Rush 2112 came out on CD.  When it eventually was released, I didn't even know it.  One of my friends gave it to me as a gift and told me that I was buying the keg that evening.  Good times.  I really slowed down over the last few years but I still have over 2500 CDs floating around the house.  I think of them as hard copies.

Although I rarely listen to music on my PC anymore, I have an Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G optically coupled to a Logitech Z-5500 system.

Samsung optical drive.

Windows Media Player works fine; Windows 7 x64.

Plex for everything here. Windows 10 with 6tb of storage as a server, bring a roku on vacation and I have everything. Sync feature to iPhones is easier than iTunes.

lostfido said:
Plex for everything here. Windows 10 with 6tb of storage as a server, bring a roku on vacation and I have everything. Sync feature to iPhones is easier than iTunes.

I use a Drobo5N (15TB) with Plex to serve up all my media files.  Works like a champ.

Back