• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Moldy seeds safe?

So I have been slacking...  I kinda gave up on some seeds in the incubator.  It has been 3 weeks and they had not popped a tap root.  The incubator has been turned off for about 4 days.  Open them up, and what do you know...  Some had one or 2 sprouts; some had as many as 15.

A few cups unfortunately also have what appears to be mold starting to grow.  Luckily, only 2 cups with seedlings have it.  I just want to know if this is safe to plant.

20160305_193245.jpg

Close up
20160305_1932452.jpg

I had that happen when I'd mist them too heavily and/or not give it a bit of fresh air every couple days.

Don't do what I did and try to soak them in straight 3% hydrogen peroxide after you've begun trying to germinate them. Any of the ones that are close to sprouting will get zapped. Maybe water it down. I lost some this way, but saved more

You can try scraping it off and tossing the really bad ones. This is safer, but you'll only allow it down.

Some sunlight might work too.

If a seed sprouts go ahead and plant it. I think the worst that can happen is it'll succumb to the mold and not make it. I don't think you'll get a diseased plant

Back