• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting When to harvest ?

Hello all,

In the past i've harvested my Bhut Jolokia peppers when they've been deep red in colour but found them to have no heat. I realised I harvested them too early. 

I currently have half a dozen deep red peppers and not wanting to make these mistakes again. How do I know when the Jolokia are ready to harvest ? 

Thanks for all the help !

I am going to vote that this isn't a Bhut.  Even the mild Bhuts have a significant amount of heat shortly after being formed, even to a seasoned chile-head.  

This may be a cross (unusual but possible) or not a Bhut Jolokia at all. As stated above, photos would be helpful. 

+1
Even a green, not completely developed Bhut should have a good heat.
Unless, as Vicious states, is a cross (or no Bhut). I had last year in my garden Red Maya Habs, and one of the plants had 0 (zero) heat, when full ripe. Though strong Chinense flavor. For sure a cross.

rghm1u20 said:
+1
Unless, as Vicious states, is a cross (or no Bhut). I had last year in my garden Red Maya Habs, and one of the plants had 0 (zero) heat, when full ripe. Though strong Chinense flavor. For sure a cross.
Not to hijack or anything, but damn hope you saved seeds!  

Yes I am with these guys ....I have had Bhuts that just started get a red tint and they were still packing heat.

BlackFatalii said:
Deep red sounds perfect. Are you sure that what you are growing are actual Bhut Jolokias? Even an unripe Bhut should still be pretty hot. This sounds like you may have something else entirely.

Edit to add: Pics might be helpful.
I"m not 100% sure but the plant has been labelled as a Bhut. I've been frying the peppers with meat, adding them to stir fries etc and they haven't been hot at all. 

Vicious Vex said:
I am going to vote that this isn't a Bhut.  Even the mild Bhuts have a significant amount of heat shortly after being formed, even to a seasoned chile-head.  

This may be a cross (unusual but possible) or not a Bhut Jolokia at all. As stated above, photos would be helpful. 
I don't know if cooking with them causes them to lose heat i'm not brave enough to try them raw just in case they are fully formed haha. 

rghm1u20 said:
+1
I am sure it is a cross as they see a bit different in appearance. 

Sizzle Lips said:
Yes I am with these guys ....I have had Bhuts that just started get a red tint and they were still packing heat.
Thanks i've left this batch on the plant for some time now. Most are a crimson red  but some have shades of a deeper maroon red to them.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice, I really do appreciate it ! 

Here is an image of the peppers I've picked. 

2L1eHmz.jpg

Those aren't picture perfect Bhut specimens but definitely look similar to some Bhuts I've tried. Could definitely be a cross with a milder pepper. Also heat levels can vary based on conditions and sometimes the first few peppers off a plant and winter pods are milder. Still a Bhut shouldn't ever be fully mild. It would help to see a cross section if you cut one in half length wise.

Grow some cojones and try some raw. You don't have to pop the whole thing, just get a nice sliver down the length and see what it tastes like. Bhut types have a very powerful and distinct flavor that should be recognizable if you've ever had a ghost pepper hot sauce etc.

Back