• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

hot sauce ideas for my grow year?

i'm growing a bit this year as i did last year and here are just some of what i hope to  have for the grow year!  

yellow fatali
red hab
yellow hab
white hab
yellow reaper
chocolate hab
red reaper
chocolate reaper
jays peach ghost scorpion
Purira chillie
cayene's (blend unkown what i will get this year)
prik chi faa
thai hybrids
blood hungarian paprika 
mixed manzano
hot lemon drops

these are already started in pots and i hope they all take off!  i only planted about 3 of each plants so margin of error may get the worst of me but i'll see! 

i want to incorporate maybe some apples into a hot sauce, along with cukes  i think might make a good balance with a reaper, what are your thoughts everyone? 

other things i'm growing or considering growing this year 

eggplant, tomatoes (plum type more like san marzano's and romas), zuchinni, cumun, basil and maybe some mints.   

ideally i want to grow and use as much as possible but i know it wont work out that way.  

I use apples in several of my sauces ganga - they are great to add a bit of sweetness and body to a sauce.  Tomatoes are good in sauces too.  Never have used cukes in a hot sauce, but they're great in salsa.   I have used some fresh herbs before when making a sauce (primarily cilantro) but felt that I lost most if not all of the flavor in the cooking of the sauce.  Just my experience though - experiment and have fun!  Also take pics to share.   :)

SmokenFire said:
I use apples in several of my sauces ganga - they are great to add a bit of sweetness and body to a sauce.  Tomatoes are good in sauces too.  Never have used cukes in a hot sauce, but they're great in salsa.   I have used some fresh herbs before when making a sauce (primarily cilantro) but felt that I lost most if not all of the flavor in the cooking of the sauce.  Just my experience though - experiment and have fun!  Also take pics to share.   :)

I had the same prob the first time I used cilantro in my green sauce.  Plus when cooked cilantro looks pretty gross and brown.  So I took it out after cooking so it didn't make the color funky.  The cilantro flavor didn't really come through at all in that first batch.  On my second try, I added the cilantro after cooking during my blending phase right before it went into the bottles.  The flavor of the cilantro really came out then and I was really happy with the flavor.  And of course so were my people I give sauce to and they took most of that batch of green.  I will be making a new batch as soon as my farmers market gets the monster sized Jalapenos in.  

Back