• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need help...new to growing! Reapers are yellowing

My Carolina Reaper plants are almost 4 weeks and I'm having some yellowing, and crinkling of leaves. Also some tiny dead"ish" brown areas on some of the leaves. I have been watering everyday in a two solo cup self watering method (just topping the water off in the bottom) and the soil has stayed moist. So in an attempt to stop overwatering I haven't watered in three days. Feeding quarter doses of hydroponic nutrients with water. Not sure if it's still some lingering affects of overwatering or a pest. Very new to this and I need help.

:welcome:  to THP.  You came to the right place for help!  What they said ^^^  New growers often overestimate the water needs of their pepper plants.  I do it myself.

[SIZE=medium]Thanks guys for the advice and wisdom. I assumed it was an overwatering problem but it’s to have support from more experienced growers. I am having trouble uploading pics from my phone but will upload some….somehow.. from a computer soon. Thanks again![/SIZE]

1000Marlin said:
I'm sorry but can someone show me how to post pics
If you have an iPhone or Android phone you can download the Tapatalk app to use with this forum. It'll let you add photos from your camera roll inline in a couple of taps.

It sounds like over watering. You don't want the soil to be moist; you want to have the soil completely dry before watering again. Look for drooping leaves, that's a sign it's thirsty. Lift up the container at this point to get a feel for what it weighs without water. It'll help you judge later on.

Yupp- overwatering. Like members said^^^
Peppers like dry feet too. Yellowing leaves and falling off too early is a good sign of overwatering.
Crinkly leaves can also be a sign of overfeeding,

Thank you guys! I poked holes in the soil to help aerate and drained off any excess water in bottom cup. Just gonna wait it out now I guess. Pics to come...

1000Marlin said:
I'm sorry but can someone show me how to post pics

You can join (it's free) a 'forum image hosting' site. There are many. You will upload your pictures to their sites, and then they will provide a 'hotlink for forums' you can paste here.

fadaf50f7c50ac683662c5d1dc105454.jpg
fc8ddf92192840a78ece065f5b53c5de.jpg
4a2d757482e9fcd85a0e6714e76b038f.jpg
5b6d2231406eec4dcd48d273ca3b0442.jpg

You are giving them too much water. Do you have enough drainage on the bottom of those cups? Adding 1 or 2 more fluorescents and putting them a little closer won't hurt either. They will be able to consume a bit more water with more light.

Back