• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nothing is sprouting!!

First, what are you expecting to sprout?

What are the conditions (ambient, soil, temperature, seeds)?

How many weeks precisely?

Thank you!

With zero information, my first guess is usually heat.  Some variety will pop up after a few days with 95 deg. f but a month with low germination rates at room temp.  Then there are windows, yuck.  No need for light when there is no green showing but they tend to be colder locations. Even if this is not the problem, do yourself a huge ass favor and get you one of those $50.00 egg incubators at  your local feed store.  I wound up enclosing a rack and using a space heater for almost all starts just cause I am really impatient.  Keeps the humidity in too.

If you want to write me a PM with a list of what failed and your mailing address, please do so.  My seed selling season is drawing to a close, so it is nothing but a thing for me to help a guy out.  No reason to throw a season away for a mistake or some bad seeds.  Its late, but there is still time.  Hell, I just took an order that has me planting cayenne of all things. 

I'm keeping them in plastic ziploc bags on a damp paper towel. They are set atop a internet modem that is quite warm,
It's been 21 days for the following 

Wiri Wiri

Unknown variety

Explosive ember

Goat's weed 

Hab white

Chinese pot

7 pot brainstain

Habanero white

And well over 56 days for these

Jay's peach

7 pot jonah

Pequin

Chocolate hab

if they haven't sprouted after 30 days I'd say those a toast.

I personally would try starting new seeds in cups of starting mix and put those on top of your fridge. direct planting has always worked out better for me.

I don't use that method but willing to bet maybe not enough air or too much moisture.  Again, I do not use that method.  What I can say is I would never expect 56 days from those last variety.  Thinking dont trash them if you dont have to, but start new seedlings with different method pronto.

Folk are going to give you a million and one ways to germinate.  If just starting out, stick with putting them in a potting soil mix.  Easiest is best way to get started.

Id say start some more seeds.When i use deli containers with coffee filters i place those on top of the refrigerator and seeds pop pretty qukck usually inside a week.

Depending on the temp in your ziplog bags, also if the sunlight comes (through the window) over the bags, if the temp was too high you cooked the seeds.

If not, maybe too low.

I used too this method (slightly different, not in a bag, but in a box, covered) and maybe I am not skilled enough or what, but I think will use no more. I have the feeling the plants grown this way are not so health (or at least as seedlings). I am using something from supermarket, some cells, where I put the soil, not filling them completely, watering, put the seeds, put a transparent cover. When the seeds start to sprout, I cover them with a tiny layer of soil. This way I can see if they are sprouting, and they grow directly in that soil.

Put some picture, maybe will give a hint to somebody (a picture worth more than 1000 words).

I sometimes use a similar technique as yours. The difference is that instead of using zip lock bags, I stick the paper towel in a rubber maid container. I remove the lid once a day to let them breath, and I add moisture as necessary. As soon as they start to root, I put them in soil no more than 1/4 inch deep. This has worked great for me with some seeds, but not so great with others. It has not worked well with Rocoto seeds for example, and It caused me to lose the whole batch.

I have gotten my hands on a new batch of Rocoto seeds, and this time I spread all 40 seeds or so across a plastic food tray filled with top soil, and lightly covered them with more top soil. I have been keeping them on top of my water heater. It's been 10 days since I planted, and I have about 20 sprouts that I see coming up. I am going to have to give some  away. I would hate to cull them.

Not to get nosey, but does your source have a good reputation? Maybe you received a batch of seeds that is not viable? Good luck,.

I too only used cups this season.  I got the little portion cups aka jello shot cups.  They are normally used in restaurants to give condiments in.  Mine are 2oz cups, and have a lid that snaps on.

Instead of using a paper towel or coffee filter, I have found that a 100% cotton, makeup removing pad works extremely well.  They are basically a cotton circle pad that women dip into acetone to remove nail polish.  Just skip the acetone... :D  They fit very nicely in the bottom of those cups.

I dip one in water, squeeze gently to wring it out, place at the bottom of a cup, add seeds, cap, and place on a heat source.  They usually stay wet enough for 1-2 weeks, then I give them one short spray of water to last them another 2+ weeks.

I got I think 46/50 varieties to sprout using this method.  Note, that I had them in a DIY incubator set at 85 F.  About 10 varieties of supers and habs took up to 21 days.  I thought they were goners, then at the same time, I would get 20 sprouts pop up in a cup.

Oh, the one minor issue with the pads...  If you let the seedling grow more than about 1/2", the tap root will often dig into the pad and be a bit difficult to remove without damaging it.  I found that if a seedling is stuck, I gently rip the pad until I get to the seedling.  Then it usually pops right out, although sometimes has a little cotton stuck to the root.  I just plant the cotton with it in this case.

Back