• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Marvin's 347 grow 2k16

Hi everyone :dance:

I figured i could start my own grow thread to get help during the process and sharing pictures with you !

btw i speak french as 1st language  so my grammar may not be on point !

1 month ago i wasn't into pepper at all and i was at a buddy's house and he show me is little pepper plant and i came back at home to see that there was a huge pepper scene ahahah!

So i went to the local store to grab some seeds for sweet and hot pepper,  then i found the online seller, logged on a fb pepper page and now iam here hahaha.

So i germinated somes under the t5ho that i use for my aquarium 

Then i made a diy fixture and ordered 2 more t5ho 

I have now ordered 3 more t5ho to add later in this fixture that can accept 6.

I used and old bed base to install the plant on it, also used the bubblefoam reflector  that was used to package the t5ho i ordered, i figured the bubble will act like isolation keeping some of the heat from the light and the aluminium foil color for light reflection. Not sure how effective it is but anyway it was free.

I ordered some seeds from PepperNorth : Aji limon, Fatalii Yellow, 7pot Douglah and Carolina Reapers.

I also have Super Chilli F1, Cayenne and Burpee unknow mix  from the local store and finally somes Scotch Bonnet from a friend.

The Reaper and Douglah was ordered later so they are not sprouted yet

All the Aji limon sprouted really fast, 5 Fatalii are also coming up and 2 scotch bonnet 

In this picture you can see the Cayenne in the cup at left, Burpee in center and Super Chilli F1 in the cup on the right. The jiffy crete in front are the Reapers and Douglah, and the jiffy crete on the right is just sweet mini peppers from the local store.

I plan to grow them to put outside and keep 2-3 inside for fun!

So that's about it for now ... if you see thing i do wrong do not hesitate to tell!!

Vince

Looks good.

The only suggestion I could offer is to try to get the plants a bit closer to the light, they seem to be stretching just a little. But, once you add four(?) more T5 (HO, I presume) to the fixture, that may be unnecessary.

Good luck!

:welcome: to THP and the wonderful world of hot peppers!  :)  

So, you are interested in peppers for just one month and you already have acquired Douglah and Reaper seeds? Went straight to the top of the old Scoville scale eh? I salute your bravery  :)  Be sure to let us know what you think of them, when you get pods from those :onfire:  

Anyway, good luck with your grow this year! Your seedlings look nice and heathy, so you must be doing something right! :)

Yeah they were started with my old t5ho and today i just added it to the fixture next to the new t5 , the old one was weak compared to the new and was also too far away from the plant.

Now i have moved the little one closer but i will shim the red cup even closer since i will recieve the others light, is there distance i need to respect i was concerning about burning them.

BlackFatalii said:
:welcome: to THP and the wonderful world of hot peppers!  :)  

So, you are interested in peppers for just one month and you already have acquired Douglah and Reaper seeds? Went straight to the top of the old Scoville scale eh? I salute your bravery  :)  Be sure to let us know what you think of them, when you get pods from those :onfire:  

Anyway, good luck with your grow this year! Your seedlings look nice and heathy, so you must be doing something right! :)

HAHAHA Yeah straith to the top but iam not even a spicy food guy , just like the average guy but i do like to make my own beef jerky and smoked stuff.

I have no idea if i will even taste those pepper lol

I think this year will be more a trial and error to gain some experience with different species and in the next year i will know what i what and more importantly how much i want hahah!

Welcome to THP.
Welcome-Languages-1.jpg

I got to the hydro store to get some nutrients for bottom feeding.

4 days since the last photo.

I don't know if it's a little soon, but i topped my first two peppers.

tomorrow i will convert 1-2 plants to diy hydroponic ( non circulating) to do some mores tests.

Tips are welcomes!

I am starting to try to read the leaf and just want to make sure everything is right.

My top leafs are starting to "bubble"  if i can say, not sure what is the exact term anyway tell me what do you think.

Plant "look" fine but i just want to be sure..

I am now feeding General Hydroponic flora 3 parts / cal max / epsom salt  mix ph is 6 after mix. I feed about 1" of mix in the second cup and the plant drain all that water in about 5 min , i feed that way every 2-3 days.

I am wondering if its bad for the roots since they are in air  and not in the water all the time.

Temps is 82 humidity is low at 35 since its winter here, small fan blowing on the light/ plants.

3- 4ft t5ho really close to the top about 3-4" since i still have seeding poping out .

btw i think iam starting to see small buds in center .

Thanks Wolf!

I think i was just paranoid haha..

I received my 3 sunblaster lights so i have now 6 in the fixture, the seems to love it!

Had to place the fan closer to it to cool it down a bit .

I have potted 7 Fatalii, 8 Aji Limon and  1 SB from a friend in 6" square pot in jiffy top tray to bottom feed the hydro solution later when the roots will go down.

All Fatalii and Aji sprouted, all reaper execpt one , and only two douglah on about 10 but iam still happy to have 2,on one douglah  i had to remove the seed on the leaf with cisor since he was stuck pretty bad  with long green leaf still in the seed , that was a succes!

The Aji and Fatalii:

Here are the Super Chilli F1 which are my best looking right now, all identical with great color.

they now mostly all showing buds!:

closer leaf set with the good lighting :

kratky hydro shooting roots :

And the most anticipated variety:

Reaper's and 2 little 7POT Douglah:

Very healthy looking plants, I'm using general hydro for soil and hydro grows this year. It is good stuff.

Seriously though your plants look pristine. I even prefer them a little leggy now because vertical growth is easier to harvest in my setup.

Thanks ! 

the only reaper left sprouted and 2 more douglah!

I was debating if i need to promote vertical grow or not, i heard t5ho do not do well in vertical grow for light reaching of lower branches but on another side i have limited room for side grow but i can go 3-4 ft tall easely.

Anyway its the first year so we will see, last feeding i went agressive with doing about 80% of the "agressive grow" mix on the back of the bottle, the plant are even darker  now but i think i was near what they can accecpt at the moment !

i will do a light feeding next time.

Do you guys feed just before night time, i always went this route with outside growing stuff, never during full mid- day sun , but i don't know if it has any effect ?

I just noticed that one of my best looking Fatalii has some white stuff under the leafs... Is this aphids ?!?

There is somes also under my hydro fatalii so on my two biggest fatalii , they are about 1 ft from  each other .

is so should i be worried ?

Other than that plants grow fine.

I googled both and it look a lots more like edema, iam not much worried  i bottom feeded last time and i let it sit in water too long for sure, pots were heavy .

Back