• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are these moths harmful to my plants?

7c7152fe447afb64814ce5abfaba4345.jpg

Lol, sorry, it's a very small moth. I had to zoom in the pic. I'll get a better pic tomorrow. In general though, are moths destructive to plants?

First off welcome to THP

Most moths are gonna be fine. They pollinate and usually just stay for a short time.

they do pollinate but adult moths lay eggs that produce caterpillars, almost better to catch it and give it to a spider, that spider is arguably going to do you more good in the long run.

Yeah, if a moth is attracted to a plant it's going to want to lay eggs then the larvae eat the plant because... that's all there is to eat, they aren't going anywhere without eating their way there.

Often eggs are laid on the back side of leaves, so you might want to take a look, but some will be so small you might overlook them until the day comes that there's a worm in a pod.

Then again a moth might land and leave without laying eggs. It may take a season for you to know if your area has larvae that eat peppers. Around here there are a few tobacco/tomato horn worms I find on nearby tomatoes but they never touch my peppers.

Back