• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Prolific Tomato Plant

Okay, I've harvest a little over seven pounds of toms from it this year, which is hardly a record setter. But, when you consider they are the size of a golf ball and weigh an average of 1.2 ounces, that's 96 pieces of tomato! Plus, there are at least that many more on the plant now plus it is still blooming.

I have no clue what it is - it's a volunteer and more than likely some kind of hybrid. Too large of toms to be cherry tom and too small to be a Big Boy or Beefsteak, the only red ones I grew last year.

Mike

My most prolific is a huge Omar's lebanese in my greenhouse that is hitting the roof now, and also my sungold cherries which are the only good toms left in my garden except one black cherry which is starting to produce finally.

Here's the utensil I used to get the juice from the toms (not all were these golf ball size ones. I also had a couple of Beefsteaks, several Hawaiian Pineapples, a couple of Big Boys and a couple of who knows what the heck they are!).

gizmo.jpg

Putting toms into the tub:

tub.jpg

The waste that is produced:

waste.jpg

And my reward:

juice.jpg

Mike

Great machines, you'll love yours wiz. Yours looks similar to the one I have but mine has a splash guard that goes around the whole strainer and prevents a lot of mess. If I have a good year next season, I'm getting a much needed upgraded elecric model.

I agree about the sungold Potawie, they are huge plants and produce a lot. They are fun to pop in the mouth while checking out the gardens. Black cherries are good tasting, but not as prolific. Opalka is doing well and so is Black Krim.
Potawie - If you can, please save me some of your seed from Omar's labanese. Since we have similar weather, I am sure it will do well in colorado as well.

I subscribe to a different theory...;)

I put the whole tomato, sometimes the stem too, into the ol' cuisanart with a chocolate hab.....

Oh god.......love the chunks......;)

Granted, I am a noob on a small scale. I'm sure I will get one one of these days!!!

POTAWIE said:
Great machines, you'll love yours wiz. Yours looks similar to the one I have but mine has a splash guard that goes around the whole strainer and prevents a lot of mess. If I have a good year next season, I'm getting a much needed upgraded elecric model.

Potawie,

She who must be obeyed gave me a choice - do it outside or do it outside! So the possibility of making a mess was not a concern. But as it turned out, I could have pretty much have done it on a white sheet and no one would have known.

I can't wait until my white tomatoes get ripe - they ought to weigh in at about 3 pounds each. I only need 96 more quarts of juice and I'll be a very happy grower!

Mike

wordwiz said:
Okay, I've harvest a little over seven pounds of toms from it this year, which is hardly a record setter. But, when you consider they are the size of a golf ball and weigh an average of 1.2 ounces, that's 96 pieces of tomato! Plus, there are at least that many more on the plant now plus it is still blooming.

I have no clue what it is - it's a volunteer and more than likely some kind of hybrid. Too large of toms to be cherry tom and too small to be a Big Boy or Beefsteak, the only red ones I grew last year.

Mike

Nice to see youve had a great growing year with your toms and seven pounds is a nice return from your plant indeed.:)

Back