• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

cone9 2016 Glog - Late and Lazy

I got started a bit later this year(by design). Now I'm regretting the decision to do so. Many of my plants are still tiny. My largest are only about two inches tall.
Quite a few of my seeds germinated but the cotties struggled to uncurl or the terminal half turned brown.  Although many survived their growth has been slow.  It wasn't damping off but I wonder if to much water was to blame.

But, I am under way now.

While a few of these were started just to give to friends, I'll probably not be able to resist growing them all myself as well.

I'm pretty excited about this year's list. I am leaning a bit more to the sweet and sweet/heat peppers in deference to my taste for canned sweet-hots.

Corbaci Sweet
Zololisty
Sugar Rush Cream
Cream Fatalii
Aji Jobito
Aji Rosita Yellow
Aji Rosita Red
Aji Margariteno
Aji Pepon
Aji Llaneron
Pimenta Barra do Ribeiro
Brazilian Starfish
Bolsa de Dulce
Ethiopian Brown
El Oro de Ecuador
Guajillo
CAP 267
Aji Angelo
Big Jim (World Record but not likely in my garden)
Bhut Jolokia White
Queen Laurie
Serrano (sweet)
Devil's Tongue Red
Tepin x Lemon Drop F4
Pimenta de Neyda
Wild Brazil
Galapagos Red x CNG 21500
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow CARDI
Slonovo Uvo
Lemon Drop
Marupi
Pimenta L
Early Jalapeno
Sante Fe Grande
Ecuadorian Sweet Rocato

Some old friends and some new.
Some disappointments not even out of the gate.

Zololisty, Sugar Rush Cream, Aji Rosita Yellow, Aji Pepon, Aji Llaneron, and El Oro de Ecuador have not germinated or immediately died. I even tried, to no avail, a second round of seed. This is the second year in a row I've failed with El Oro de Ecuador and with different seed sources no less. I really want to grow these, so I'll probably try again next year.

Ethiopian Brown is quite a departure from what I would typically choose to grow. The description was so enticing I had to give it a try.

I wanted a hot pepper that matured white for use in some white hot sauces this year. I settled on the Bhut Jolokia White after I tasted a pod sent to me last year by inolan22. That pepper, with the requisite Jolokia heat, had such a clean, bright taste that I was sold. I am growing from the seed saved from Isaac's pepper.

Serrano (sweet) is interesting. I am not certain what I will have here. I grew these last year. The seed was saved from a normal Serrano pepper I got in a SFRB the previous year. I just wanted to grow some Serrano peppers. But, instead of normal Serrano peppers, my plant produced pods with a broader shoulder and more of a sweetness than a Serrano.

Devil's Tongue Red. These I tasted last year and really liked the flavor. Plenty hot but the flavor still shined through.

MiChris sent me a whole box of his Galapagos Red x CNG 21500 cross last year as well as some isolated seed. A very good pepper. I wasn't sure they would make my cut this season until I opened a jar of them I had canned in a sweet-hot brine. So good, they were on for this year for sure!

I also have two over wintered peppers.  There's a heavily branched 30" Bolsa de Dulce that is leafing out really well in the grow room and a Cream Fatalii.  Only one 15" branch survived the winter on the Cream Fatalii but it is covered with healthy leaves.  I should have some early peppers of two delicious varieties!

And so it begins!

I'll post pics later when (hopefully) I'm not embarrassed by how my plants look!

I am loving your list Dave but but kinda sad to see no scotch bonnet variety .
There is I think in totally tomatoes a sweet cayenne pepper you might be interested an John (Trident) sent me some El Oro De Ecuador seed I have some germinating & my have some seed left will take a look.
I wouldn't worry about getting started late others have as well.
I started early then after initial good germination hit turbulence so I am behind too.
I only got one flat done for tomatoes as of now.
I look forward to your glog sweet /heat is what I always go for in a pepper Jelly & varieties
Wishing the best of luck this season

Some peaked looking plants have perked up nicely since hitting the dirt.

A few pics to offer from today.

Raised Beds:

I have some of the potted peppers on and around the beds for the time being.  I'll be moving them as everything grows and growing space demands.

Early Jalapeno living up to it's name

CAP 267

Deliciously sweet peppers I'm looking forward to growing.  It's hard to tell from the pic but lots of blossoms and small peppers suggest this will be a highly productive plant.

Some small, leftover plants went into pots as I couldn't let them go to waste

I hope none are in to cliff diving.

Thanks for looking.

Devv said:
looking good Dave!

Wish I had a creek too ;)

Have a Happy Fathers Day!
Thanks, Scott and Happy Father's Day to you as well!   A most important day for any loving father.

I don't know about your neighborhood but as I hear it much of your state has had a bit too much creek of late!

Go Cavs!

cone9 said:
Thanks, Scott and Happy Father's Day to you as well!   A most important day for any loving father.

I don't know about your neighborhood but as I hear it much of your state has had a bit too much creek of late!

Go Cavs!
It was great! Had 5 g-kids and their parents here Saturday. They wore us out!

Yeah, the "creeks" here have been rivers for some lately. I think we're getting back to normal now...AKA dry. But the rivers are really good for tubing, and we're making a plan. But to find that designated driver in my family is tough :shh:

We're too inclined to have a cooler in tow...LOL. We used to have an annual house rental on the river, but gave it up after several years of the river going creek-wise :confused: 

Here's a little Venezuelan interlude.  These are my Lindberg plants.

Jobito #1

Jobito #2

Jobito #3

Jobito #4

What a beautiful plant the Aji Jobito Is.  
Even without the fruit, the plant would worth growing just because it is so handsome!

Rosita Red (three in one pot) - leftovers I couldn't let go to waste

Rosita Red (in bed)

Margariteno

Margariteno pods (color is off due to flash)

And here are the raised beds

And the cliff crew

I'm pleased with growth since the last pics.  They have been loving the weather this past month.  We had a good soaker late last night and some good showers earlier in the week.   So, we're rolling on with the coming heat and sun.

Some of the bacs and anuums are podded up nicely.  I'll do a pod pic series when time permits.   Chinense are mostly flowering nicely with some small pods coming on.

That's my pic limit.  I have another series ready to go after a bump.

Thank for looking!

Thank you Scott.  I'm having fun - won't be long before I'm eating some fun.

Here's a night series, just for fun.  
Nothing remarkable but I like how the darkness enhances the colors and depth.

Slonovo Uvo

Brazilian Starfish

Wild Brazil

Aj Jobito

This sits on our patio table

Thanks.  I've been pleased with the past month's growth.  We've been blessed with great weather (albeit a bit dry until the past few days).   That Slonovo Uvo looks to be near ready to pick.  I've not tasted them before and am looking forward it.   

I picked the Slonovo Uvo today.  Nice sweet, crunchy pepper with very few seeds.  Really good flavor.
This was the only large pepper on the plant.   There are more but they are still small.

More great pics ;)

I'm living vicariously this season through those who actually have nice peppers..LOL

Keep it green Dave!

OCD Chilehead said:
That's a monster of a pod. Sounds like a good cooking pod.
That pod started while the plant was still in the basement.  There are now more peppers on the plant larger but still pale green.  This pepper is on pepperlover.com listed as Elephant's Ear.  If you want to see big, check out the picture there!

Devv said:
More great pics ;)

I'm living vicariously this season through those who actually have nice peppers..LOL

Keep it green Dave!
Well, Scott, I hope you get to live pepperlife on the edge through my pics cuz I'm more than ready for some ripe, homegrown heat!

I just got home this afternoon from a week in Myrtle Beach.   First thing I did, after carrying in the bags, was walk out to the pepper patch.  Amazing to see how much the grew in one week!

Pics will follow as soon as time permits (tomorrow?)!

Tepin x Lemon Drop f4   ( created by smileyguy697)

Bhut Jolokia White  -  this plant is loaded with nice, large peppers

Galapagos Red Hab x CGN 21500

Corbaci Sweet

Wild Brazil - you can't tell from the pic but lots of tiny pods coming on

CAP 267

Aji Margariteno

I've grown Charapita, and C. chacoense in past seasons.   I like to work in one of the small fruited, "wild" varieties each year.  The Wild Brazil made the cut this time.

Very nice Dave! The plants look great! I'm growing a few Tepin crosses too, but yours look so much better!

How was SC this season? I passed, as I saw the whole family in Puerto Rico in March for a wedding. One can only travel so much on a school district pay plan...LOL. But I will most likely be there next July.

Keep the super nice grow going!

Back